Suggest AVR shopping from Singapore

saurabh81

Hi,

I am looking for an entry level AVR for music and movies.
Fortunately my friend is going to Singapore for few days and he can get an AVR from there. I have a few queries:
Is it good to get an AVR from Singapore (Price is less but warrantee will be void)?
I know warrantee will not be valid but will it get service support in India?
Please suggest me some good models under SGD 500. I don't have any brand priorities.
Suggest some good online sites to compare price in Singapore. Or AV Forums in Singapore.

Saurabh

For 500SGD, you will not get anything other than the most basic models. See if you can increase the budget. 500SGD is roughly 17K, and at that budget it may be better to look for an HTIB. For a good AVR, I would say have a budget of at least 1000SGD.

Look at World Audio Centre Pte Ltd - Home Page. It will give you some idea of what is available at what prices.

Ask your friend to go to Sim Lim Square and/or The Adelphi and look around. There are hundreds of shops there that sell audio/video equipment. Give him a set of models that you want and ask him to get one of them within the budget you are looking at. Popular models are 663 and 863 from Yamaha, 2310, 1910 from Denon, and SR5004 from Marantz. If budget is an issue, look at 1610 from Denon.

Cheers

For 500SGD, you will not get anything other than the most basic models. See if you can increase the budget. 500SGD is roughly 17K, and at that budget it may be better to look for an HTIB. For a good AVR, I would say have a budget of at least 1000SGD.

Look at World Audio Centre Pte Ltd - Home Page. It will give you some idea of what is available at what prices.

Ask your friend to go to Sim Lim Square and/or The Adelphi and look around. There are hundreds of shops there that sell audio/video equipment. Give him a set of models that you want and ask him to get one of them within the budget you are looking at. Popular models are 663 and 863 from Yamaha, 2310, 1910 from Denon, and SR5004 from Marantz. If budget is an issue, look at 1610 from Denon.

Cheers

Thanks a lot...
Will I be able to get Paid service for Denon in India???

I have had a rescent experience with the service issue with an AVR bought from Singapore, and the AVR I am talking about is the Onkyo's Nr905 which was bought 8 months back from Singapore the same set developed some problems in regard to its memory and HDMI and I had to inventually part with 43.5K to get it repaired from Onkyo India.
So beware, as all these units need part for repair which could only be avaliable with the authorised service center.

I don't know about other cities, but the people I know in Chennai are better than the company service engineers.

Cheers

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back