suggest best 29" crt tv

major_aru

hi,
can any body suggest the best 29" crt tv available in indian market as on date- my requirement is value for money- for home viewing

thanks
charan

Any specific reason for this ?

Size ? : 29 CRT = 26 LCD , believe me, or rather go to a showroom with a tape measure and verify the fact. 29 CRT looses some 1.5 inch from all side by means of curvature, fitting areas, dead (black) area. So actual useful screen (illuminated / viewing) area is 25-26". While LCD the useful screen is almost 26". You can buy a 26" LCD at that price! of 29" CRT

If at all you are so keen in buying a 29" CRT then look for 100 HZ version from Philips, Samsumg or SONY (SONY should be your last option!). I have Samsung 100 Hz , HD Ready, 29" slim fit and I am very happy with it.

As mentioned , there are atlest half a dozen threads on this forum discussing this very topic, please search for it.

My sincere suggeston is , drop the idea of 29" CRT and look for a LCD within your budget. Samsung, Sharp, HITACHI are some good brands to look for.

Hope this helps.

Regards

SUhas

Last edited:
Any specific reason for this ?

Size ? : 29 CRT = 26 LCD , believe me, or rather go to a showroom with a tape measure and verify the fact. 29 CRT looses some 1.5 inch from all side by means of curvature, fitting areas, dead (black) area. So actual useful screen (illuminated / viewing) area is 25-26". While LCD the useful screen is almost 26". You can buy a 26" LCD at that price! of 29" CRT

If at all you are so keen in buying a 29" CRT then look for 100 HZ version from Philips, Samsumg or SONY (SONY should be your last option!). I have Samsung 100 Hz , HD Ready, 29" slim fit and I am very happy with it.

As mentioned , there are atlest half a dozen threads on this forum discussing this very topic, please search for it.

My sincere suggeston is , drop the idea of 29" CRT and look for a LCD within your budget. Samsung, Sharp, HITACHI are some good brands to look for.

Hope this helps.

Regards

SUhas

Dear Suhas

Hitachi has stopped manufacturing CRT's...
Still if you have good luck, you can find one, somewhere...

Anyaways, if i am not wrong, even Sony is no more selling CRT's, maybe some old stock what they have, they must be liquidating them...

Yes, Sharp still have 29" CRT's and are good too...

You can go for that...
It should cost you max. Rs.16K, a bit costly but its worth...

Frankly it all depends on your use.
If your use is strictly Cable tv viewing, the 29inch CRT is better than a 26inch LCD.
Reason:
1. Cable tv looks quite bad on lcd.
2. Cable tv aspect ratio is 4:3 while the LCD aspect ratio is 16:9. When people say that you get lots of viewing space on a 26inch LCD, You actually get a stretched picture. Mandira bedi suddenly looks fat :mad: If you set the aspect ratio correctly, the LCD will crop the sides and you get something like 20 inch worth of screen space on a 26 inch Lcd. That is bad bargain.
If your use is primarly dvd or gaming, go for the LCD.

Dear Suhas

Hitachi has stopped manufacturing CRT's...
Still if you have good luck, you can find one, somewhere...

Anyaways, if i am not wrong, even Sony is no more selling CRT's, maybe some old stock what they have, they must be liquidating them...

Yes, Sharp still have 29" CRT's and are good too...

You can go for that...
It should cost you max. Rs.16K, a bit costly but its worth...

Read the posts carefully before replying buddy. I I have recommended Sharp and Hitachi for LCD and not for CRT as you seems to have understood.

Please drop in any SONY store in your town , will find 29" CRT.

Regadrs

SUhas

The best 29 inch CRT purely in terms of picture quality is Philips 29PT8836.

If it is still available in you city, grab it.

On SD feed, it would beat any LCD or plasma or any other CRT from Philips, Sony and Samsung.

Read the posts carefully before replying buddy. I I have recommended Sharp and Hitachi for LCD and not for CRT as you seems to have understood.

Please drop in any SONY store in your town , will find 29" CRT.

Regadrs

SUhas

Oops... Sorry for the fact on Hitachi...

Okies but., Sharp do have CRT's, so one can go for it...

And buddy, Sony is now no more branding, any CRT's, they are just liquidating the stocks what they have in stock in world wide, and mostly they are liquidating in South Asia only...
As per the news, they have to clear the complete stock by Jult End...

Will try to post the soft copy of the news link soon...

29 CRT = 26 LCD

Not true, Sir !

29 inch CRT Picture Area = 403.7 sq inches

26 inch Plasma / LCD (16:9) = 288.3 sq inches

If your use is strictly Cable tv viewing, the 29inch CRT is better than a 26inch LCD.
Reason:
2. Cable tv aspect ratio is 4:3 while the LCD aspect ratio is 16:9. When people say that you get lots of viewing space on a 26inch LCD, You actually get a stretched picture. Mandira bedi suddenly looks fat.

If you set the aspect ratio correctly, the LCD will crop the sides and you get something like 20 inch worth of screen space on a 26 inch Lcd. That is bad bargain.

Sorry, I dont agree with point 1 but the rest of the post ... I could not have said it better ! :)

I have been looking for months to buy a 34 inch CRT TV to replace my similar Videocon set that has stopped working ( and Videocon service refuses to show up :mad:)

Sadly, no 34 inch CRTs available any more :eek:

29 CRT = 26 LCD

Hi,

I find that this about comparison between 4:3 vs 16:9 screens always causes some confusion. I have attached an excel sheet which shows the comparison.

Following assumptions in the sheet:
(1) The diagonal size mentioned included all watchable area.
(2) You are interested in watching the picture in the correct aspect ratio.
(3) I am computing the height of the maximum picture that you can get with the correct aspect ratio and comparing the height of the two pictures.

From my computations:
For 4:3 pictures (mostly current TV broadcast) -

21"(4:3 TV) == 26"(16:9 TV)
25"(4:3 TV) == 32"(16:9 TV)
29"(4:3 TV) == 37"(16:9 TV)
34"(4:3 TV) == 42"(16:9 TV)

For 16:0 pictures (DVDs) -

21"(4:3 TV) == --
25"(4:3 TV) == 23"(16:9 TV)
29"(4:3 TV) == 26"(16:9 TV)
34"(4:3 TV) == 32"(16:9 TV)

Hope this would clarify the confusion.

Regards,
Prasad Redkar.

Attachments

• TVRatios.xls
    18 KB · Views: 5
Not true, Sir !

29 inch CRT Picture Area = 403.7 sq inches

26 inch Plasma / LCD (16:9) = 288.3 sq inches

Sorry, I dont agree with point 1 but the rest of the post ... I could not have said it better ! :)

I have been looking for months to buy a 34 inch CRT TV to replace my similar Videocon set that has stopped working ( and Videocon service refuses to show up :mad:)

Sadly, no 34 inch CRTs available any more :eek:

Hi,
What exactly is wrong with the statement ?
When you view 4:3 source material ( cable tv is one such example) on a 16:9 ratio Lcd/ plasma screen, all the material in the picture looks wider isn??t it ? The correct way to watch 4:3 material on wide screen is to have it centered in the middle of the screen with black bars on both sides. But most people just stretch the picture to fill the screen making everything look wide and fat.

So for cable tv you get something around 20inch of space on a 32inch 16:9 aspect ratio lcd tv. You can of course stretch it to fit to the sides if you like to see people fat.;)

Sir.. your point 1 was :

I thought you meant that Cable TV provides a bad picture quality. THAT was what I did not agree with.

I have carefully compared the picture quality of DTH with a Cable TV Set Top Box.

The Cable Box was a superior picture, with less conpression... which shows up as a more gradual variations in the picture colours / shading ... a more natural picture overall.

The DTH pic looks more contrasty and " better" at first vies, but then realised that the Excess compression was causing abrupt colour changes and an over etched picture.

Pretty much like hearing a stereo with a Treble boost ... impressive at first ...:(

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back