Suggest me a Network Player/DAC

Vijay_s

Two days back got my Marantz PM7004, Now I am looking for a network player with good quality built in DAC

As there is not much audition possible with DAC, after some online research I have short listed 3. But suggestion of any other brand welcome.

1. Squeezebox touch
For: Read many review saying that it is really value for money NW player as well as have a good built in dac,
VFM
Can connect hard Disk directly

Against: Not available in India. Not sure whether it work in 230V if I buy it through Amazon US ($239). Playback limited to 24/96

2. Marantz NA 7004
For: Have good review all over the net, may well match with Marantz PM7004.
Against : Good network features but do not know DAC used inside
3. Logitech Transporter
For: Good review on quality of DAC inside
Against: Price is too high $1187

Budget: around 50K

Last edited:
Squeezebox touch is excellent value for money! I have used it for months.... The inbuilt DAC is comparable to any good budget to mid priced CD player. 24/96 is more than sufficient unless you have a lot 24/192 content...

Having said that Marantz NA7004 has FM and Airplay (if you an ipod/iphone user). It wil also match well both visually and sonically. But I can't comment on the its DACs comparison with Squeezebox... Based on my reading, they are both comparable although Marantz is priced double to Squeezebox.

Squeezebox touch is excellent value for money! I have used it for months.... The inbuilt DAC is comparable to any good budget to mid priced CD player. 24/96 is more than sufficient unless you have a lot 24/192 content...

Having said that Marantz NA7004 has FM and Airplay (if you an ipod/iphone user). It wil also match well both visually and sonically. But I can't comment on the its DACs comparison with Squeezebox... Based on my reading, they are both comparable although Marantz is priced double to Squeezebox.

Ashish If I order it from Amazon, does it work with 230V without any converter?

I think SBT should be better based on reviews (not heard it) and if you have 50K to spend spend the rest on a better DAC later on if you think you are not satisfied with SBT analogue out. Also there are some others like Cambridge Audio NP30, etc so lookout for them as well.

It works with 230V out of the box.... I ordered it using 20north.com... cost 20K delivered... but that was more than a year ago.

Thank you guys, I have ordered Squeezebox touch from Amazon.

Price Details
Items: $239.99
Shipping & Handling: $16.95
Total Before Tax: $256.94

Import Fees Deposit $37.80
Total: $294.74

Delivery: June 26, 2012 - July 5, 2012

Thank you guys, I have ordered Squeezebox touch from Amazon.

Price Details
Items: $239.99
Shipping & Handling: $16.95
Total Before Tax: $256.94

Import Fees Deposit $37.80
Total: $294.74

Delivery: June 26, 2012 - July 5, 2012

Welcome to the SBT club here on HFV.as per my experience you will not need any ext DAC.
In the meantime arrange for some good component wires for interconnect .
Will look forward to. Yr review.cheers

This 3 months old thread is alive and again I am seeking advise on Network Player or AMP +DAC as I decided to sell my Marantz PM 7004.

I will will create a sale thread on this in a day or 2.

What I understood is for my room size and setup I do not need such a powerful AMP that I can not keep even at 9 O clock position for normal listening. So this time I will be planning for an AMP with less power and cheaper in cost wise.

I am open for
1. Network Amplifier
2. Stereo receiver in the range of <25K + DAC <20K

For DAC <20K please read reviews of Beresford Caiman DAC (Gatorized version) which you have to import.

After much research I have decided to give up for NW Player only for 1 reason, future upgradeability, the very reason why you are going for separates.

NAD 356BEE with DAC module can be an option though I don't know exact price. One of the HFV members recently bought it and should be about 50k (your budgte is 45k for both). If you need standalone DAC , then its a different issue. I personally use Purepiper A1 DAC and am happy with it. Had plans to upgrade but scrapped the plan due to some reason. New is available for about 12k (to be imported from manufacturer)

AirPlay works with iPhone, iPod touch and iPad with iOS 4.3.3 or later, Mac with OS X Mountain Lion, or Mac and PC with iTunes 10.2.2 or later.
Fine for iPeople. For others, probably best not to go there.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back