Suggest me a portable headphone and amp

Raghav_K

Hi guys,

need a headphone + portable amp for listening to music from my galaxy s3 while travelling.

not going for earphones, mainly due to comfort. using earphones for a long time makes me uneasy, even tried earphones with those soft foam earpods.

budget is around 20k max, the lesser the better :D

genre - nothing specific.

main need is that the headphone should be easy to carry when not in use. (foldable types?)

i'm looking at fiio amps and audio technica m50.

are they good or any other suggestions??

thanks for looking.

the headphones alone cost 19.5k at flipkart, and the amp comes to 150$....

Out of budget, sadly :-(

Would you be willing to consider In-Ear phones? That would be far cheaper as you can run most of them fine directly from S3.

raghav,

i am on the road often and i relax with my sansa flac player and a Grado SR80i in the privacy of my hotel room.

i run the risk of tom toming my grado w/o any significant experience in other brands etc.. but i am very happy with them.

These are not closed headphones but simple open back headphone and the sound is "leaky" but thats the way it is designed.

Try to hear a Grado SR60i and then decide.

The SR80i costed me equivalent of INR 6000 in singapore.

I try to avoid too many gadgets like portable dac or head amp while on the road.

Keep it simple.

ofcourse.. there are many other options available..

mpw

^ will check out grado. Also the option of having one less gear to carry is also nice...

Can any other good headphones be driven by s3 without an portable amp?

Would you be willing to consider In-Ear phones? That would be far cheaper as you can run most of them fine directly from S3.

I have brainwavz m3... Does that come under iem? Anyways i dont find that very comfy for long times...

Sometimes I just use the bundled Samsung S3 In-ear earphones, when on the go and it sounds decent enough.
I use the Neutron Music Player with Noozxoide EIZO-rewire PRO Series and set the monitor size to "medium".

If you are not a serious bass listener, then nothing beats Bose AE2 in comfort. Right now its on sale for 7.8k.... you can go for any fiio amp that meets this headphone requirement.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back