Suggestion for a basic network music streamer

manindra.mukherjee

I use Spotify which is installed on my FS / TV . The audio output is via HDMI ARC to my AV receiver . The problem is that I have to keep the TV powered on all the time I am listening . I cannot connect the FS to AVR directly as the AVR is old and not HDCP 2.2 compliant and cant display 4K content when playing video. I am looking for a very basic audio network streamer which could allow me stream Spotify . Below are some of the options which I thought of

1. Amazon Echo dot : I tried connecting the echo dot's 3.5mm to RCA . The sound was not that great as compared to what i get via TV's HDMI ARC. The Echo's DAC possibly could be the reason

2. Google Chromecast Audio : Not available but could have a good option is what I have heard from other forums

3. Pi + DAC HAT : Never done this and not much into DIY

Network streamers from Yamaha and other brands are out of my budget and I donot want to invest that much money. Do I have any other option here ?

What AVR model is this? Does it have any kind of networking ability? If it does, it might be possible to stream direct from your PC or phone to the AVR over the network.

Chrome cast audio is your next best bet.

Alternatively you can buy a Logitech bluetooth receiver and plug that into your receiver.

Add a bluetooth DAC and stream from you computer or mobile. Connect the DAC output to any AUX input on your receiver. Go with latest BT with LDAC support

Get a Pi4 and put Volumio on it, connect this to AVR via HDMI, and you have got yourself an excellent streamer. It's not very complicated.

I use Spotify which is installed on my FS / TV . The audio output is via HDMI ARC to my AV receiver . The problem is that I have to keep the TV powered on all the time I am listening . I cannot connect the FS to AVR directly as the AVR is old and not HDCP 2.2 compliant and cant display 4K content when playing video. I am looking for a very basic audio network streamer which could allow me stream Spotify . Below are some of the options which I thought of

1. Amazon Echo dot : I tried connecting the echo dot's 3.5mm to RCA . The sound was not that great as compared to what i get via TV's HDMI ARC. The Echo's DAC possibly could be the reason

2. Google Chromecast Audio : Not available but could have a good option is what I have heard from other forums

3. Pi + DAC HAT : Never done this and not much into DIY

Network streamers from Yamaha and other brands are out of my budget and I donot want to invest that much money. Do I have any other option here ?
I will recommend Option 2. It's most convenient and user friendly! (I use one). You will get it used. Another option of CCA is MiBox. It has built in Chromecast.

Your second choice as suggested by @Kannan should be BT receiver.

Option 3 is also not bad. Readymade plug n play option are available. But, compared to CCA it's a bit less user friendly but offers option of streaming HiRes.

Get a Pi4 and put Volumio on it, connect this to AVR via HDMI, and you have got yourself an excellent streamer. It's not very complicated.

In this case , how would it be different from let's say using a FireStick or a Chromrcast directly plugged in the HDMI input of the AV reciver. Will it use the internal DAC of the AV reciever. How different would it be as compared to a Pi+ DAC with analogue output to AVR.

If I plug the Pi directly to HDMI input of AVR , does the TV needs to be powered on as well.

I use mibox 4K optical out to my powered speakers and by far the best price to performance ratio in audio ever. It has USB out also as well as conventional 3.5 mm to RCA. optical is by far the best. There was a usually a deal on Mi website where you get their smart speaker at a heavy discount when you buy the mibox. I got mine for 1999.

In this case , how would it be different from let's say using a FireStick or a Chromrcast directly plugged in the HDMI input of the AV reciver. Will it use the internal DAC of the AV reciever. How different would it be as compared to a Pi+ DAC with analogue output to AVR.

If I plug the Pi directly to HDMI input of AVR , does the TV needs to be powered on as well.
TV is not there in this Chain, Pi Streamer > HDMI > AVR. Your Streamer (Volumio) will have Spotify/Tidal Connect built-in. All you have to do is turn on the Streamer + AVR, Select the Stramer as Input in AVR, connect to the Pi Streamer from Spotify/Tidal App, and stream the Music to AVR.

Has anyone tried out both moode audio and ropieee xl. Or any better options. Are any of those near to out of box experience.
I don't use Boss2 dac, but I am using the previous generation Boss with rpi. To answer your question, I haven't tried ropiee xl but tried Volumio, Moode, RuneAudio and piCoreplayer. In these, all the players based on MPD ie, Moode, Volumio and RuneAudio sounds almost similar..differs on features though. But the squeezebox player in piCoreplayer sounds very different from MPD based players.

MPD based players are more detailed and aggressive.. can't say very bright, but almost towards that. On the other hand piCoreplayer sounds opposite of the spectrum, kind of laid back and more soothing.

One should choose the players wisely according to the remaining chain of their systems. I have an Yamaha AX496 and a friend's NAD 320bee. MPD based players blend very well with NAD, but piCoreplayer sounds very dull.. you will miss the punch. Similarly piCoreplayer works very well with my Yamaha amp.. can listen very long time with out any ear fatigue..

Hope this helps to understand the sound quality differences between the players.. also this is my personal experience, so take it with a pinch of salt :)

That was an input I didn’t come across anywhere.
Thank you for that.

Are the players stable. I don’t mind tinkering with installation once. But constant attention is something i would like to avoid

Yes, all those players are stable.. but the official RuneAudio is some what a dead project. Though there is a fork is available at https://github.com/rern/RuneAudio-Re6 which is good to try.
This is not the case with other players, they are very actively developing and also a great community support available.

I personally use MoodAudio and piCoreplayer interchangeably in my setup.

There is another player "symphonic mpd" which seems better than moode! Worth looking into.

Also, someone recently updated that volumio remote for android detects and controls moode as well!

There is another player "symphonic mpd" which seems better than moode! Worth looking into.

Also, someone recently updated that volumio remote for android detects and controls moode as well!
Interesting, but getting the software seems tedious.. need to be a member in their forum, but no registration option available too !!

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back