Suggestion for a Home Theater setup

fanendra

Hi Guys,

This is my first post (after my hello to all :clapping::clapping:) in HiFi vision.
Guys I am looking to setup a home theater setup. I have purchased the video component of it
UA40D6600WR - OVERVIEW | SAMSUNG India

Now I am looking forward to purchase Home Theater system/AVR+Speakers+Blue Ray.

I have done lot of research but since I do not have prior experience I would like to get help from you guys. Since so for I filtered these

Philips HTS-9520/98

or

Harman Kardon 265 + HKTS 30 Speakers (CINESTYLE 30)
+ Samsung BD-D5500 Blue Ray

or

Denon AVR (You suggest me the model +speakers +Blue Ray).

Budget is not very much (max Rs. 80k to Rs. 100k :):)).

Please suggest me the best of these or others if these are not among the best in this budget.

Thanks
Fanendra

Hi, good to know you have a decent budget which will enable you to get a really good system. However, please stay away from regular electronic brands like Philips, Sony, Lg, etc when it comes to home theatre. Let them focus on what they do best..........making tvs!!! Leave audio to the experts in the audio business.

You can go for a good receiver + 5.1 speaker system. you need to demo a few systems and then decide. Here are some options:

Receiver : Denon, Marantz
Speakers : Wharfedale Diamond 10.0 series, Polk Audio Tsi400 series, Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 series, Mission M35i series, Boston Acoustics A250, etc.........

Stay away from HK receivers.........Denon and Marantz are better.

Hi, good to know you have a decent budget which will enable you to get a really good system. However, please stay away from regular electronic brands like Philips, Sony, Lg, etc when it comes to home theatre. Let them focus on what they do best..........making tvs!!! Leave audio to the experts in the audio business.

You can go for a good receiver + 5.1 speaker system. you need to demo a few systems and then decide. Here are some options:

Receiver : Denon, Marantz
Speakers : Wharfedale Diamond 10.0 series, Polk Audio Tsi400 series, Mordaunt Short Aviano 6 series, Mission M35i series, Boston Acoustics A250, etc.........

Stay away from HK receivers.........Denon and Marantz are better.

I am using HK 460, its much better than Denon 1912 I had before.

If you have a budget that high you can consider cambridge audio sirocco 5.1 set for 45k for speakers and a decent avr like denon 1912 for 38.... though personally I wouldn't. Or you can go pre-owned and save 10-15k, if you're interested drop me a line, i have an avr sitting with me not being used.

These are the speakers I recommend:
s70_5.1_385.jpg

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

corElement: Can you please let me know where can I get these speakers.
and what about this?
Wharfedale Obsidian 600 Home Theatre Package

Also If you have any Idea about stores near noida/greater noida/delhi for that.

I would also like to know which AVR is better among

denon 1912, MARANTZ SR 5005 and MARANTZ SR5006.

Please advice me about a decent Blue ray Player

Thanks
Fanendra

45k is MAX mrp from what I last knew in 2011. It should be available for 42ish.

They are marketed by FXe across the country I believe.

In delhi one can get them at cr park or mgf mall.

I would suggest go audition this set at FXe and see what AVR's they have and try them out and select the one which suits your preference and buy everything from 1 place so get better future warranty/repair/service instead of buying from two different places and running into warranty issues.

As for http://www.hifimart.com/wharfedale-obsidian-600-home-theatre-package-77

I've never heard of them or seen them but I know they dont come with a subwoofer. The sirocco set has a subwoofer aswell for 42 well and have received 5 stars from what hifi.

Last edited:
Thanks corElement for the information. Will demo sirocco 5.1 soon.
Please advice me about the AVR and Blue ray player and sorry for asking lot of question:):)

Thanks to all of you for your suggestions.

corElement: Can you please let me know where can I get these speakers.
and what about this?
Wharfedale Obsidian 600 Home Theatre Package

Also If you have any Idea about stores near noida/greater noida/delhi for that.

I would also like to know which AVR is better among

denon 1912, MARANTZ SR 5005 and MARANTZ SR5006.

Please advice me about a decent Blue ray Player

Thanks
Fanendra

Hi, just to give you some basics in audio.......some receivers and speakers can be too bright or too warm. For movies you might prefer a bright sounding system which for music a warmer sound is more suitable. Denon gives you a great balance between music and movies while marantz is more preferred for music.

If interested in wharfedale go with the diamond series. They are much better than the Vardus or the Obsidian series. Try to demo as many systems as possible. Harman Kardon receivers tend to be a bit more on the bright side compared to Denon and Marantz.

As mentioned earlier demo several systems.......wharfedale, polk audio, mardaunt short, mission, tannoy, etc.........

I would like to add another brand to the suggestions. Try Paradigm Monitor 7 floor standers. I had auditioned them with Denon 1911 while I was buying Monitor 9. They sounded extremely good, given the awesome mids and highs. Along with this you can go for CC190 centre, ADP-190 surrounds and PDR-10 sub, all this should cost you around 65-70k. You can go with denon 1912 as a receiver. As for the blu-ray player, I don't have much knowledge in that field. I am using a sony BDP-S480 blu-ray player which hasn't dissapointed me, although there may be better options in the market.

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back