Suggestion for over ear headphones

raghupb

I have no clue where to start with headphones. My 12 year old boy has been bugging me for new headphones.
Looking for over ear cans within a budget of 5K. Nothing fancy but should take the abuse of a pre-teen.
If open ear models (if this is the correct terminology) come within the budget, it would be welcome.
Please suggest suitable models. Looking to buy new as it would be a birthday gift.

Thanks,
Raghu

Thanks for the suggestions guys.
Visiting a "headphonezone" outlet today.
Let's see what happens.
Cheers,
Raghu

Raghu, slightly over your budget but some very compelling recommendations.

Grado SR60/60i. Yamaha HPH-200. Sony MDR XB/XBS series.

From left to right these headphone have

(1) top-heavy to bottom-heavy balance

(2) increasingly comfortable wearing.

(3) audiophile to more fun character.

Went to the outlet. Not a whole lot of selection. Checked out a few models from Panasonic, Sony and Beats (buds).
Finally ended up picking up Panasonic - RP-HTF890 (Cost 4K).
Pretty good open back design. Sturdy construction and great cord; almost like a braided rope.
Not great on the bass, but there is enough. Vocals are very good and highs are clear.
I would say highs are a bit bright depending on content. Can use EQ to tame the highs if they sound harsh when used with PC/Laptop.

Currently the only headphone amp I have is with Marantz IA and AVR. Sounded very good on the IA.
Probably need to invest on a desktop DAC/Amp combo soon; need to start pinging folks visiting from US.
May be a Schiit stack (Modi 2 + Magni 2 or Modi 2 + Vali 2)

My boy loves his birthday present. He is already planning out his gaming list for the upcoming summer vacation.

Cheers,
Raghu

Now the shiit is available in headphone zone.in. You can compare the price and see if its worth waiting for someone to come from US. Usually they try to match the international price.

Don't know about price matching, but on the website Schiit products are at 40-50% markup.
They don't show up as authorized re-sellers on company's website.
I am in no hurry, so can get them during US summer break when friends/family are visiting.
And these products are tiny, so no issues with baggage or customs.

Cheers,
Raghu

Sound is a very personal thing so do not go by what others say. I personally prefer the Beyerdynamic house sound. My current favorite is Beyerdynamic T90. These absolutely require a proper headphone amplifier to sing. But when they do, it will take you into another realm altogether. This is a completely open headphone so if privacy is your thing, look elsewhere. At work i go with either the Beyerdynamic DT-1350 or V-MODA Crossfade M-80 . Both of them are on-ear headphones. The beyers will literally crush your skull but never fails to put a smile on my face. V-Moda is generally used for longer term listening.

Audio Technica ATH-M30X is the best over-ear Professional standard studio monitor headphones, also well within the mentioned budget.
It delivers Fine detailed balanced audio along with maximum comfort. With boosted clarity and noise isolation, the reproduced output good enough to delight senses.
Buy Audio Technica ATH-M30X Professional Studio Monitor Over-ear Headphones (Black) Online at Low Prices in India - Amazon.in

M30X is really good. Very good treble and mids. Although its not for Bass heads or these are not typical "fun" type headphones. Sounds flat(ofcourse, it will as its a monitoring headphone). It costs around 4K, I would say its one of the best headphones in this range. (Just my opinion though).

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back