Suggestion for Speaker Finish

arun malur

Got a new Centre Speaker for my HT set-up at a decent price , but this is in Maple bird's eye finish, whereas my other speakers are all Piano black. Any suggestions on how to camouflage this to give a uniform appearance.

Got a new Centre Speaker for my HT set-up at a decent price , but this is in Maple bird's eye finish, whereas my other speakers are all Piano black. Any suggestions on how to camouflage this to give a uniform appearance.

I think that you will have to re-polish the surface of your center speaker to match with all the other speakers and then apply a hi gloss protection coat on top of that. A good painter or polish wala would be able to guide you better on this.
But the best would still be that you change the speakers from the dealer whom you bought it from to match all your other speakers.

Easiest is to put a very light jacket (covering on it). BTW Maple is a good alternate match to black.

I think that you will have to re-polish the surface of your center speaker to match with all the other speakers and then apply a hi gloss protection coat on top of that. A good painter or polish wala would be able to guide you better on this.
But the best would still be that you change the speakers from the dealer whom you bought it from to match all your other speakers.

BEWARE!!Many speakers are made of HIGH density particle board and what "polish" you see is actually a Laminate paer with adhesive back.

So at speakers backside scratch a small surface and see what type of top coat it has

My suggestion is use matching Laminate ( Sunmica) least I dsid it with my techinics speakers 5-6 years back ..

BEWARE!!Many speakers are made of HIGH density particle board and what "polish" you see is actually a Laminate paer with adhesive back.

So at speakers backside scratch a small surface and see what type of top coat it has

My suggestion is use matching Laminate ( Sunmica) least I dsid it with my techinics speakers 5-6 years back ..

+1 to what Hemant has said.
Which centre speaker is this? Mostly it is just laminate.

Even similarly coloured paper covering will help.

Right You may not get Piano finished Laminate but making a Laminate paper cover will be a good option - Do not stick Just cover...

If you provide us with exact model no and/or photographs we can suggest better.

Arun,
Do nothing to the speaker.
Just make a cover in black satin. Material itself has a sheen.
Best Camouflage IMO
Rgds

I am not sure how you might have done it, the glaze they put to get the glossy finish is not a very good adhesive. So even if you put laminate on it it may not stick forever. This is similar to the window shades for car if you try to put an aftermarket one.

The 'right' way is to sand down the gloss (pretty involved effort) and then smooth it and then apply the laminate.

if you have managed to stick the other one and happy with the quality of job and results you can ignore that stated above.

Arun,
Do nothing to the speaker.
Just make a cover in black satin. Material itself has a sheen.
Best Camouflage IMO
Rgds

Thanks for your suggestions. Speaker is Quad L-Centre. Ashish, I would like to avoid re-polishing the cabinet as it would invove srcaping-off the existing finish and sparying again which could damage the speaker itself as you can't trust these polishwalas to handle it with care.

Hemant, as per the Quad manual, it is genuine glossy polish with seven coats-hand applied and not laminate.

Dinyaar,Marsilians, Spiorovious, thanks for your suggestions and as mentioned by Dinyaar, I think sticking a velvet fabric on the exterior should give it a cool appearance. Shall revert when finished.

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back