Suggestion need for pairing Onkyo TX-NR828 with Dali Zensor 7

Subbiya

Hi,

I guess my searching for speakers finally ends here...

Last week, I did audition with Dali Zensor 5 @Grand Cinema, sound was good, I can able to hear different instrument sound, & female voice clearly. But I don't feel that there is much bass as expected. The problem is, I need to keep the sound atleast 50% volume, below it I was not able to hear clear sound(different instruments). Is this is the problem with my onkyo-828 receiver.

I guess, I should go with Dali Zensor 7 which is 2db > Dali 5 in sensitivity. Also low frequency is some what less than Dali 5.

Another problem is my onkyo receiver 828, handles 180/ch @6ohms, the speakers are rated to handle B/W 40 - 150W, I agree no one will be listening to the speakers @100% of volume. But what happens, If I play the speakers above 85% which is 153W from 180W which is not recommended for these speakers.

Does the speakers will be able to handle the power output from my receiver. ?

I found the below article, which says the receiver power should be 10% greater than the power of speakers.

How to choose the right speakers for your amplifier or AV receiver

One thing, I want to mention here. I have created a lot many of thread for my speaker search. every where I mentioned about my receiver power wattage. And I actually not able to understand, how to match the power of speakers with my onkyo receiver.
Below is the watts specification given in manual that comes with the receiver.

130Watts/Channel @ 8ohms (FTC)
180Watts/Channel @ 6ohms (IEC)
215Watts/Channel @ 6ohms (JEITA)

Please explain me, from above which 6ohms watts will be used for driving these speakers.

User manual for Onkyo-TX-NR828 from the onkyo website shows different wattage. Pls refer the attachment.

for using speakers with 6ohms, do I need to change the speaker impendance set to 6 ohms in my receiver, but this was recommended in onkyo manual.

I really need to end my searching for floor standers, it was almost 2 years, I was searching for FS which sound good to me @ low cost.

Please help..:sos:

Thanks,
Subbiya

Attachments

• Onkyo-TX-NR828-1.jpg
    Onkyo-TX-NR828-1.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 83
I am using a pair of Alesis Elevate-6 Passive Studio Monitors (which are 4 Ohm) with a used / vintage Marantz Special Edition PM-66 stereo amplifier bought from a fellow forum member, Sri. Kiran Chavan of Mumbai. The amplifier is 50 watts per channel @ 8 Ohms, and 70 watts per channel @ 4 Ohms. The amplifier drives the speakers without any problem. I listen to music at modest volumes though.

Hi,

Today I auditioned Elac Debut FS78, Tannoy Mercury v7.4 Floor Standing Speakers.

Tannoy Mercury v7.4 are good with puchy bass, in detail & highs but only when played through amplifier & denon 4250, but it was not the case with my receiver, even though I kept the volume @70%, I can hear the loudness but punch, instrumentals were missing, I can hear all the sound altogether, not able to differentiate.

I switched to Elac Debut FS78, here I can able to see the difference, they sounded good @ low volumes, but the mid was not clear in FS78 floor standers due to it's small sized midrange driver. I found that this speakers impendance is 4 ohms.

My understanding is, the speakers with 4ohms are sounded good rather than 8 ohms speakers when connected with my onkyo-828 receiver. Onkyo owner's do you have any idea on this. ? Any other suitable speakers for pairing with onkyo receivers..

Last edited:
Your experience has nothing to do with 4 or 8 ohms ...its called as system matching ...take your receiver wherever u go for a demo and then decide based on the sound you like ....

Dear Subbiya,
The Onkyo reciever you own currently seems more than capable of driving all the speakers mentioned above. Didi you audition those speakers with your own amp? The denon you mentioned is rated at 140 watts. a bit less than the Onkyo. So wattage is not the issue here. The Dali's are more than capable speakers to handle the power of Onkyo. So as far as the tech details go, you should be fine with it.
When speakers are over driven beyond their capacity, they put out distorted sounds and you will know you are pushing its limits.
Now coming to the wattage output standards, its a mess according to most audio engineers and you can search the web to do more research on it. No one agrees on it.
In the end, it really matters what sound you like, either from the speakers or the amplifier, or DAC and whatever else that involves connecting the system together.
My search ended with Magnepan speakers because it's the sound I like, as i am not a bass-head and like wide open sound stage. It really boils down to what we like as individuals after a certain technical, and price point. All the above speakers you have mentioned are capable of performing well to the price point, but in the end it's you who has to like it and sometimes compromise (given the budgets).
The idea of auditioning as many speakers as you can is exactly to figure out what 'flavor'
is more palatable to you than reviews and technical stuff.
I have a pair of Rave bookshelf speakers (Indian made), that I use when i am listening to really old 50s/60s rafi,mukesh type of songs. they are fantastic. magnepans are too critical for shitty source and brings out all the imperfections in these old recordings. The Rave speakers are very smooth on the higher frequencies and OK on the bass side. but for everything else, Maggies kick butt. So welcome to the fun part.

And to add to this, The Rave speakers sound better when connected to the Yamaha receiver than the Peachtree stereo amp, Sporting a sabre DAC vs Yamaha's burr-brown.
Don't know if its the DAC or the Peachtree being class D amp or some ghost sitting in the Yamaha receiver :). So the sound changes with every component that gets switched and it can be quite frustrating.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back