Suggestion on Onkyo TX-NR686 AVR + Yamaha NS Speaker Combo

swamytk

Hi Friends,

Thanks to everyone here, you guys maintain this wonderful vibrant community. I am a newbie to Audio world, not a audiophile. Here is my build plan and request your suggestion.

Current System: Sony 32" 720p LCD TV of 12 years old with TV audio + NO AV Receiver (Never used AV receiver)
Aim: Decent Cinematic experience within budget + Upgrade to 4K TV + 5.1.2 with support for latest Audio/Video standards

Total Budget: Around ₹ 2 lakhs
TV: Sony X9000F 55" LED (Finalized) - ₹ 1.2 lakhs
Audio System: Budget of around ₹ 1 lakh = AVR (₹ 50,000) + Speakers (₹ 60,000)

Execution: Incremental build over a year in 4 phases
First Phase: AV Receiver + Front Speakers
Second Phase: Centre speaker + Surround speakers
Third Phase: Sub-Woofer
Fourth Phase: Atmos speakers

Environment:
Rental house, simple speaker layout preferred, volume will be limited considering neighbours. Well lit hall of size 250 Sq.Ft

Shortlisted Products in my limited knowledge based on my requirement and googling reviews. Please suggest me your take on it. Since I am zero in Audio system, these are my listing based on googling. Please feel free to point out any of my idiotic preference if any.

AVR:
1. Onkyo TX-NR686 (Preferred)
- A lot of 4K HDMI HDR Ports + Built-in Chromecast feature is preferred, which I use a lot now with Audio Chromecast dongle connected to old
speakers
- In first phase I plan for Front L+R speakers only. But user manual of AVR says "Select "2.1 ch", "3.1 ch", "4.1 ch", "5.1 ch", "6.1 ch", "7.1 ch", "2.1.2 ch", "3.1.2 ch", "4.1.2 ch” or "5.1.2 ch" to suit the number of speaker channels connected." There is no option of 2.0 ch. Will I lose some audio if I select 2.1 ch.
2. Onkyo AVR-X1500H
3, Yamaha RX-V 685

Speakers:
1. Yamaha NS-8390 / NS-P51 / NS-SW200 (Preferred) + Onkyo SKH-410 (Atmos pair)
2. Polk Audio TL1600 + Onkyo SKH-410 (Atmos pair)
3. Polk Audio Fusion Package 5.1 + Onkyo SKH-410 (Atmos pair)

Compatibility with TV:
I am planning to connect TV with HDMI ARC. Will this do Audio passthrough from TV apps seemlessly? I understood that max Lossy Dolby Digital Plus is possible with this, but not Dolby Atmos from TV apps due to HDMI 2.0b. And also I would like to make sure all latest Video Passthrough (HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision) works fine with this setup.

Store Visit:
I am yet to visit stores for demo, any suggestion on this also welcome. I am in Pune.

Last edited:
Since I am going for NS-SW200 as sub, the woofer in NS-8390 seems to be redundant. I may need to configure it as "small" in AVR. Can you suggest small (satellite?) Front speakers instead of NS-8390?

Execution: Incremental build over a year in 4 phases
First Phase: AV Receiver + Front Speakers
Second Phase: Centre speaker + Surround speakers
Third Phase: Sub-Woofer
Fourth Phase: Atmos speakers

AVR:
1. Onkyo TX-NR686 (Preferred)
- A lot of 4K HDMI HDR Ports + Built-in Chromecast feature is preferred, which I use a lot now with Audio Chromecast dongle connected to old
speakers
- In first phase I plan for Front L+R speakers only. But user manual of AVR says "Select "2.1 ch", "3.1 ch", "4.1 ch", "5.1 ch", "6.1 ch", "7.1 ch", "2.1.2 ch", "3.1.2 ch", "4.1.2 ch” or "5.1.2 ch" to suit the number of speaker channels connected." There is no option of 2.0 ch. Will I lose some audio if I select 2.1 ch.

Speakers:

Store Visit:
I am yet to visit stores for demo, any suggestion on this also welcome. I am in Pune.

That's a great plan to build a great setup. Stick to it.

The components in Bold would be my pick. If you can accommodate bigger speakers go for the Fusion package. Also, look at the Dali series which is also suggested by What HiFi in their review of this receiver.

MaSh

That's a great plan to build a great setup. Stick to it.

The components in Bold would be my pick. If you can accommodate bigger speakers go for the Fusion package. Also, look at the Dali series which is also suggested by What HiFi in their review of this receiver.

MaSh
Thanks, MaSh.
1. But I don't know options to buy Polk Audio TL1600 as individual speakers for incremental build.
2. Do you recommend any specific Dali speakers?

Thanks, MaSh.
1. But I don't know options to buy Polk Audio TL1600 as individual speakers for incremental build.
2. Do you recommend any specific Dali speakers?

Yes, TL1600 would be a package, however, you could pick individual speakers from Polk, their S series or the Rti series.

If Dali is on the radar, go for Dali Zensor 1. You could move them to the back in the future as surrounds and get the bigger Zensor 3 later on. Or you could get another pair of Zensor 1 and have an all-around Zensor 1 setup.

MaSh

Yamaha NS8390 is very basic speaker with bloated bass and average highs. I would recommend NS-71 at least to have good effects if you want stick to Yamaha. nS-150, NS-555 are too good but might be out of budget for you. You might consider TAGA Harmony 606SE which comes to 32K and AVR + SW combo of your choice.
Why don't you check Hifimart if they have TAGA on demo?
@mpw had a DIY SW with real good components on sale (Dayton drivers and Hypex amplifier). You are unlikely to get branded SW at the price for performance specs mentioned? You can confirm with availability of both and probably visit a Mumbai for auditions. Just a suggestion!

Good selection. Can you pls put some background on your choices? Like why NR686? Why not Denon 1500 or some other ones?

Have you auditioned these speakers? How do these fair compared to Polk Signature range?

Yamaha NS8390 is very basic speaker with bloated bass and average highs. I would recommend NS-71 at least to have good effects if you want stick to Yamaha. nS-150, NS-555 are too good but might be out of budget for you. You might consider TAGA Harmony 606SE which comes to 32K and AVR + SW combo of your choice.
Why don't you check Hifimart if they have TAGA on demo?
@mpw had a DIY SW with real good components on sale (Dayton drivers and Hypex amplifier). You are unlikely to get branded SW at the price for performance specs mentioned? You can confirm with availability of both and probably visit a Mumbai for auditions. Just a suggestion!
Thanks, @arunkvivek. No such Yamaha preference, it is just based on my limited knowledge. Let me check hifimart too. Thanks for DIY SW, I really like DIY. So let me explore that too.

Good selection. Can you pls put some background on your choices? Like why NR686? Why not Denon 1500 or some other ones?

Have you auditioned these speakers? How do these fair compared to Polk Signature range?
Thanks, @rksingh1. As I had told earlier I am zero in Audio world, all my preference were all based on my budget and online reviews. I am yet to go for demo. Before going for demo I would like to get opinions here and have some basic idea to make use of demo very well.
After posting this, I have changed my mindset to Denon x1500h or x1400h for more reliability based on reviews. Initially I had selected Onky NR686 based on a lot of streaming and smart features. I believe that it is not essential for a AVR.
I haven't yet auditioned any speaker. Since I am held up with a lot of personal/work travel commitment, I just keep collecting data as of now.

Onkyo TX-NR686 (Preferred)

I have changed my mindset to Denon x1500h or x1400h for more reliability based on reviews.

Good choice.. Either of them will work fine.. But rather than spending on 7.1 Atmos AVR, which can eat up your budget, i would suggest you to settle for a basic 5.1 AVR now use it for a while and then upgrade to 9.2 AVR, capable of 5.1.4.. ( 4 height speakers)..

In first phase I plan for Front L+R speakers only. But user manual of AVR says "Select "2.1 ch", "3.1 ch", "4.1 ch", "5.1 ch", "6.1 ch", "7.1 ch", "2.1.2 ch", "3.1.2 ch", "4.1.2 ch” or "5.1.2 ch" to suit the number of speaker channels connected." There is no option of 2.0 ch.

Will I lose some audio if I select 2.1 ch.

Nope. You will not loose any audio..They would be redirected to the speakers to which you will configure.. In your case 2.0..

Even if the user manual doesn't mention abt 2.0, it is still possible to use AVR + 2.0, by making the necessary settings in the AVR menu.. You just have to set all the other speakers as "NO", other than the Front L/R..

Compatibility with TV:
I am planning to connect TV with HDMI ARC. Will this do Audio passthrough from TV apps seemlessly? I understood that max Lossy Dolby Digital Plus is possible with this, but not Dolby Atmos from TV apps due to HDMI 2.0b.

The best way to over come this issue is to use an Android TV Box, connected to AVR.. Xiaomi Mi Box (Android TV interface) is easy on the pocket, abt 6K.. This can stream movies and play media from external storage devices, also has the ability of casting as it has chromecast built-in.

Speakers:

Once after you settle for AVR, you can look at speaker's (or) speaker packages..

Since I am going for NS-SW200 as sub, the woofer in NS-8390 seems to be redundant. I may need to configure it as "small" in AVR. Can you suggest small (satellite?) Front speakers instead of NS-8390?

If you have a subwoofer, you can overlook floor-standers.. Yamaha has BS models too, which will fit in your budget.. Taga Harmony Platinum series is one of the brand which may fit in your budget, so does Mission range..

The best way to over come this issue is to use an Android TV Box, connected to AVR.. Xiaomi Mi Box (Android TV interface) is easy on the pocket, abt 6K.. This can stream movies and play media from external storage devices, also has the ability of casting as it has chromecast built-in.

Once after you settle for AVR, you can look at speaker's (or) speaker packages..

If you have a subwoofer, you can overlook floor-standers.. Yamaha has BS models too, which will fit in your budget.. Taga Harmony Platinum series is one of the brand which may fit in your budget, so does Mission range..

Thanks @elangoas. I am using TV built-in Android platform for some time then planning to buy a Nvidia shield for good android experience. Thanks for clarifying Sub-woofer - FS speaker confusion. My hall is 9'x20'. TV faces against 9' distant sofa which is on wall side. So basically TV & Audio system is going to be on one half of rectangular hall. I am satellite speaker is enough for this or do I need bookshelf? Any specific watts requirement?

This was my first post in this wonderful forum. It looks like I hurriedly shortlisted some gears without much knowledge in Audio world. I have learnt a lot through this thread. In another couple of months I am going to setup Home theater. During that time let me make fresh discussion on basis of knowledge and experience gained through my first Hifi Stereo Music System. Thanks for everyone's contribution here.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back