Suggestion on Speaker placement in my room layout

swamytk

I am looking for suggestion on Wharfedale Diamond 220 speaker placement to listen Music only. As shown in room layout picture I have identified A and B as only possibility for speaker placement in this room. L1 and L2 are two most used listening positions. Though I can experiment but I would like to have your suggestion for optimal placement for both the listening position. Please suggest.

Though I can experiment but I would like to have your suggestion for optimal placement for both the listening position. Please suggest.

I would go with L1 as it is near field listening.. Speaker position B followed by A is also good, but your listening position (L2) seems a compromise w.r.t speaker positioning..

Listen to the speakers in your room and decide. We can't do it for over forum.
Whichever you position you choose, give the speakers space around them; start with 2 ft all around.

On a lighter note, speaker position A with listening position L2 will make you lazy.
Family members will complain that you spend too much time in bed listening to music ;)

Cheers,
Raghu

Another option you can try for would be a near-field with the stereo near the PC, with spacing between the speakers around 4-5 ft and 1 ft+ to the wall behind. You'll need to experiment here and go for the best in terms of convenience, sound quality & room acoustics.

Another option you can try for would be a near-field with the stereo near the PC, with spacing between the speakers around 4-5 ft and 1 ft+ to the wall behind. You'll need to experiment here and go for the best in terms of convenience, sound quality & room acoustics.
Since that PC space is highly occupied by library and other stuff which I can't move any where else. Let me try again.

I would recommend position B, but rather than keeping the speakers on either side of the window, try bringing them a bit forward, and place them in front of the window corners. Around 6 feet between the inner edge of the speakers would be sufficient. Getting some more space between the back of the speakers and the wall (or window) will help with soundstage & depth.

I am guessing that you have speaker stands for your wharfies. If not, do invest in a good pair since they make a considerable difference. Calculate the speaker height such that when you are seated in your chair at L1, the speaker tweeter falls at ear level.

Thanks to everyone, here is my final setup. I managed to place the speakers here with all constraints in room.
IMG_20190721_223828-02.jpeg

Thanks to everyone, here is my final setup. I managed to place the speakers here with all constraints in room.
Do you get a nicely defined phantom centre and How does the LEDR over test work out. From your sketch I assume your LP is L1 and this arrangement puts you/ speakers in a equilateral triangle of side ~ 10".
ciao
gr

Do you get a nicely defined phantom centre and How does the LEDR over test work out. From your sketch I assume your LP is L1 and this arrangement puts you/ speakers in a equilateral triangle of side ~ 10".
ciao
gr
Sorry, I don't understand what you are taking about. I would like to remind you that you are talking to a noob :)

Sorry, I don't understand what you are taking about. I would like to remind you that you are talking to a noob :)
I *guess* that the speakers are too far apart , too close to the side walls to be "stereo". Of course I have not heard your rig.

One way to figure out (or position correctly) is to use test tracks. I like the ledr (Google) test tracks. Use pink noise mono to get a "waterfall" seemingly from the centre - it will not happen if the speakers are too far apart, you will hear two sources with a "hole" in between. The over track is useful to get the toe in right.

Read up on placement, it will be useful. Plenty of sources, and lots on hfv. I had linked to the audiobeat method on one of my threads, maybe useful.

Happy listening.

Edit: I would not suggest going and spending money before getting this position thing done reasonably well. It will make a bigger difference to your listening than pointy things for instance.

Ciao
GR

Last edited:
I *guess* that the speakers are too far apart , too close to the side walls to be "stereo". Of course I have not heard your rig.

One way to figure out (or position correctly) is to use test tracks. I like the ledr (Google) test tracks. Use pink noise mono to get a "waterfall" seemingly from the centre - it will not happen if the speakers are too far apart, you will hear two sources with a "hole" in between. The over track is useful to get the toe in right.

Read up on placement, it will be useful. Plenty of sources, and lots on hfv. I had linked to the audiobeat method on one of my threads, maybe useful.

Happy listening.

Edit: I would not suggest going and spending money before getting this position thing done reasonably well. It will make a bigger difference to your listening than pointy things for instance.

Ciao
GR
Got it now. Thanks for details. I haven't done testing with test track. Let me explore.

Back