Suggestion on Voltage converter

Recently, my AVR got damaged with those plug-type converters even though it'd power rating matching with my AVR. Finally, I purchased "MAXINE" 1 kVA converter (auto type). Though people recommended to buy isolation type, the seller, Mr. Amit R Shah, told me it's not needed for Bangalore (though he sells isolation type one as well).
This post is to update on his contact details for people in Bangalore - 9845673884.
Though the product is available on eBay or Amazon, I approached the company in Chennai and told them I want to check the product first. They provided me Mr. Amit's number - service is good.

Recently, my AVR got damaged with those plug-type converters even though it'd power rating matching with my AVR. Finally, I purchased "MAXINE" 1 kVA converter (auto type). Though people recommended to buy isolation type, the seller, Mr. Amit R Shah, told me it's not needed for Bangalore (though he sells isolation type one as well).
This post is to update on his contact details for people in Bangalore - 9845673884.
Though the product is available on eBay or Amazon, I approached the company in Chennai and told them I want to check the product first. They provided me Mr. Amit's number - service is good.
Moderator Note:
Please do not post the same post in multiple threads. I have deleted 3 of these same posts in other threads.

Point noted but I thought it helps.
When I was searching for which converter to buy, I'd to go through many posts to find out where in Bangalore I can buy a reliable converter. Only 1 or 2 post mentioned about 2 local brands but no contact details of the seller.

Point noted but I thought it helps.
When I was searching for which converter to buy, I'd to go through many posts to find out where in Bangalore I can buy a reliable converter. Only 1 or 2 post mentioned about 2 local brands but no contact details of the seller.

Then start your own thread with the details you want to share. The search function will find the info. one is looking for.
Thanks.

Thanks guys for the replies. I was really scared when i read @sanchits response. @theironhorse and @jsmithe your replies gave some confidence.
From the links shared by @theironhorse i am thinking of taking maxine isolation step down transformer of 1kVA.

Do you guys think it will suit my tv.

If you guys can suggest any model that will be of great help.

couple of questions:

1) i went through this link: SHAH ELECTRONICS - 220V / 110 V Step Down Transformers & 220V / 110V with Built in Stabilizer
I didnt find any thing like isolation type which is discussed in this form. Any thoughts?

2) From what i understand isolation type is safe as incase if converter fails it will supply 0v unlike auto type which will send 220v. Is it correct?

3) Along with this do i need any other equipment like surge protectors, volatage stabilizers etc. If so please tell me.

4) I live in Hyderabad. Is there any good place where i can find maxine step down transformers.

5) specifcation of tv says 60hz. In india we have 50hz. is there something to worry about.

I am ok to spend some extra bucks if it can add some protection to tv

Thanks
Isolation xfrm is needed when you are using an oscilloscope to test something and physically holding a probe in your hand.. It isolates the device which is powered from the secondary of the transformer from the mains voltage by controlling/restricting the direction of electric flux. It prevents you the test engineer from getting a heart attack and dying out of fear when you do something silly with your Oscope probe..

It's just a normal xfrm with maybe better insulation and shielding.. with a 1:1 ratio (a normal 2 wndg xfrm will have step up/down ratio). Check out this video - he's told it confusingly but..

For a 110V TV, just buy an autotransformer/Variac and configure it with your multimeter to 110V - quite cheap 1-2k. (but it'll look ugly in your sitting room..) Anyhow.. Maxine is probably doing that with better packaging and billing you for it..

Hmm.. I just checked amazon https://www.amazon.in/MAXINE-1500-Isolation-Transformer-Converter/dp/B06XD8XQSY
He says it's torroidal so that's definitely a Autotransformer/Variac - probably a small one to fit in that tiny case.. and he says 1500W so 6A which is impossible IMHO.. so something fishy.. perhaps you could open the case and take photos.. I do not understand how it could isolate at such large power.. because he will need to use EI laminations and two sets of windings.. the case will be a lot taller.. and since he's not providing DC just AC:AC.. there's no bridge rectifier etc

This is what a 1500W Variac looks like http://www.industrybuying.com/transformer-crown-electronic-EL.TR1.592140/ 6A and recollect even this will have considerable price padding.. It's just some copper wire around a ferrite/iron core [iron powder and glue]

Last edited:
Back