Suggestion on Voltage converter

ravithej

Hello All,

I recently purchased samsung UN50EH5300 tv and took it to India.
Before going into my problem i would like to share my story on how i took it to india.

1) Bought it in amazon
2) Flied in british airways. It weights around 20kgs. So i am able to send it as a check in baggage for free of cost.:yahoo: . They dont have oversize bag fee.:clapping:
3) Customs is 36% flat. They are very strict with led tvs. :sad:

Overall i still saved lot of money.

Now i just opened the tv and no exterior damage :clapping: It came safe to home.

Now i came to know that it needs 110v supply and in india we have 220v.

Here are the specs: Specs - LED TV UN50EH5300F | Samsung TVs.

Please scroll down to power section in the above url to get into details.

So can you guys share the best quality voltage converter and any other precautions i need to take before turning the power on.

I looked into vguard website to see if they have any step down voltage converters. I didnt find any.

I am reading some articles online and got really scared with after effects of doing something wrong in this step. Is there some way to check if it is ok to connect tv to a plug.

Help: LCD TV damaged as soon as added Voltage Stabilizer

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

To be honest u did a big mistake getting such a big electronic item with 110v. Where u not aware of this ?
These step down converters we get here are pretty generic....n my experience with them has been awful. Most of em go kaput within few months n inn the process damages the gadget as well. This I m talking about vy small gadgets....something as expensive n big as a 50" led....it's helluva risk with these voltage converters IMO.

I don't think any of these branded ones like v n other stabiliser brands have voltage converters.

sachit i assume you havent checked a lotta thread.. people are using amps and what not worth lakhs with step down transformers..

@ ravi please go through sections. we have a lot of threads or people buying decent step down transformers which will happily run the LED for years to come..

check these :

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...43986-step-down-transformer-denon-1613-a.html

http://www.hifivision.com/surround-...-step-down-transformer-onkyo-tx-sr-805-a.html

http://www.hifivision.com/av-lounge...-110v-step-down-transformer-av-receivers.html

http://www.hifivision.com/audio-vid...own-transformer-affect-hifis-performance.html

still if you need more info am sure lot of people here will point you to the right direction.

there is nothing we cannot find but we need to look in the right direction.

Last edited:
Hello All,

Before going into my problem i would like to share my story on how i took it to india.

So can you guys share the best quality voltage converter and any other precautions i need to take before turning the power on.

I have been using a 110V AVR+SW for several years and recently a 110V BDP for almost a year and yet another piece of equipment all powered off a no-name 220-110V stepdown transformer without any problems at all .

Maxine stepdown transformers appear to be a popular option, MDR Electronics also make them. Use the Google search on the forum to locate posts with buying info.

220-110V converters which are lower rated (100-200 W) are usually rather poorly made but there could be exceptions. A stepdown transformer of 1000W and above is overkill if you are only powering your TV off it at a max. consumption of 121W and will also cost more(1000s) compared to the converter(100s) but could well be more resilient than the cheaper converter when faced with bad power. Of course with the fantastic power supply we have in this country, you always live dangerously when it comes to electronic equipment regardless of whether they are 220/110V.

And whatever you do, don't plug that 110V TV into a 220V outlet unless it has a voltage selector switch(110/220) that you've set correctly or a universal adapter (100-240V).

Last edited:
Thanks guys for the replies. I was really scared when i read @sanchits response. @theironhorse and @jsmithe your replies gave some confidence.
From the links shared by @theironhorse i am thinking of taking maxine isolation step down transformer of 1kVA.

Do you guys think it will suit my tv.

If you guys can suggest any model that will be of great help.

couple of questions:

1) i went through this link: SHAH ELECTRONICS - 220V / 110 V Step Down Transformers & 220V / 110V with Built in Stabilizer
I didnt find any thing like isolation type which is discussed in this form. Any thoughts?

2) From what i understand isolation type is safe as incase if converter fails it will supply 0v unlike auto type which will send 220v. Is it correct?

3) Along with this do i need any other equipment like surge protectors, volatage stabilizers etc. If so please tell me.

4) I live in Hyderabad. Is there any good place where i can find maxine step down transformers.

5) specifcation of tv says 60hz. In india we have 50hz. is there something to worry about.

I am ok to spend some extra bucks if it can add some protection to tv

Thanks

From the links shared by @theironhorse i am thinking of taking maxine isolation step down transformer of 1kVA.

1KVA is way more than you require for your TV. Since your TV only consumes 121W max. a 500VA stepdown transformer should be sufficient, unless you plan on connecting other 110V devices to the transformer.

1) i went through this link: SHAH ELECTRONICS - 220V / 110 V Step Down Transformers & 220V / 110V with Built in Stabilizer
I didnt find any thing like isolation type which is discussed in this form. Any thoughts?

Can't help here since I haven't used this product. You would have to contact the manufacturer to know for sure whether it is an isolation transformer or not.

2) From what i understand isolation type is safe as incase if converter fails it will supply 0v unlike auto type which will send 220v. Is it correct?
It definitely is the better option, though more expensive.

5) specifcation of tv says 60hz. In india we have 50hz. is there something to worry about.
This is not an issue anymore since the mains frequency is not used by modern day electronics for a clock signal with the advent of onboard clocks.

Since you have the budget, avoid the plug in type converters and get the table top, wall mounted transformers.

Thanks guys for the replies. I was really scared when i read @sanchits response. @theironhorse and @jsmithe your replies gave some confidence.

If you guys can suggest any model that will be of great help.

couple of questions:

3) Along with this do i need any other equipment like surge protectors, volatage stabilizers etc. If so please tell me.

4) I live in Hyderabad. Is there any good place where i can find maxine step down transformers.

Thanks

You can buy maxine at Mahesh electronics, gujarathi galli, koti, Hyderabad. He is the main distributer in hyd.

Thanks @Dirac. I will go to mahesh electronics tomorrow.
Thanks @jsmithe.

Apart from step down voltage transformer is there anything else i need. I live far from hyd. I will be in hyd for a week. So i would like to buy everything needed in this week.

Thanks
Ravi

The maxine step down transformer has universal sockets and the good thing is that it has an internal fuse.
But one should make sure that the step down transformer should be connected to higher amp socket in the house.

@Jsmithe i already have the conversion plug. Thanks

@Dirac: Can you kindly elaborate on what do you mean by high amp socket.

How can i know if the socket is having high amp?

Thanks

Thanks

I meant the socket that is used for household geysers etc , think a 15A socket. Not the regular one. Ofcourse I mean not just the physical socket but the line where you can draw more current.

Thanks

high amp socket means the big socket used for heavy electrical items like ac/ microwave and the MCB if low ones should be changed to 15-25 amps . something used by ac/geysers.

Hi Guys,

Yesterday i bought Maxine step down auto transformer 500 watts at Mahesh electronics. Thanks for your advice guys.
I asked for isolation type but they said they sell only one model and till now there are no complaints.

I don't have any other option also. so bought it. too:rolleyes:

So, i will connect this transformer to power socket and tv to the transformer.

I will let you guys know how did it go through .

I might be thinking too much before starting my tv.;)

I have two more questions.

1) the transformer socket has three holes. and my tv power cord has two pins. So is this something to worry.

2) My tv specs says 110-120v AC.
Now suppose 250v came through from my power socket then through transformer tv will receive 125v. So will this damage tv.

Hi Guys,

Yesterday i bought Maxine step down auto transformer 500 watts at Mahesh electronics. Thanks for your advice guys.
I asked for isolation type but they said they sell only one model and till now there are no complaints.

I don't have any other option also. so bought it. too:rolleyes:

So, i will connect this transformer to power socket and tv to the transformer.

I will let you guys know how did it go through .

I might be thinking too much before starting my tv.;)

I have two more questions.

1) the transformer socket has three holes. and my tv power cord has two pins. So is this something to worry.

2) My tv specs says 110-120v AC.
Now suppose 250v came through from my power socket then through transformer tv will receive 125v. So will this damage tv.

1)No issue. US equipments do not have ground pin. My sc37 AVR bought from US does not have it.
2) Voltage is not like a level. It is not like a water tap where it flows. The output of transformer maintains the 110 to 120v irrespective of input voltage.

First switch on the transformer. Then the TV. This is because the new transformer takes a while to give a stabilized 110v output.

Hi guys one more quick question:

Is polarity of AC cords something to worry when inserting tv plug in India. In US plug can only fit in only one direction. It wont go other way. So, here should we worry about polarity.

I decided to connect tv today.

So, if you guys can suggest any precautions i need to take that will be of great help.:)

Thanks

No need to worry about polarity. If you are concerned about it, make sure that the power cable is not twisted.
And, let the led light on the transformer glow first.
Then switch on the tv.

Hello All,

1) Bought it in amazon
2) Flied in british airways. It weights around 20kgs. So i am able to send it as a check in baggage for free of cost.:yahoo: . They dont have oversize bag fee.:clapping:
3) Customs is 36% flat. They are very strict with led tvs. :sad:

Overall i still saved lot of money.

Now i just opened the tv and no exterior damage :clapping: It came safe to home.

I looked into vguard website to see if they have any step down voltage converters. I didnt find any.

I am reading some articles online and got really scared with after effects of doing something wrong in this step. Is there some way to check if it is ok to connect tv to a plug.

Help: LCD TV damaged as soon as added Voltage Stabilizer

Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

@ravithej

how is this 36% calculation of customs
36% of your amazon bill in pounds or usd converting to rupees
or
36% of the model price in India with the model number reference

please share your experience, I am planning to bring one from abroad

Ok now that you are done with transformer were you able to watch the cable/ dish programmes.?
Is your TV compatible with both PAL / NTSC transmission if not you need a set top box which does the conversion or a separate converter - HD capable.
else you will not get clear images

Order your Rega Turntables & Amplifiers from HiFiMART.com - India's reputed online dealer.
Back