Suggestion Required: Universal Remote

technobhatt

Hi Friends,

I'm in need of a Universal Remote to be used for following devices.

(Have missed out few Logitech Harmony sale on this forum, as I was late in going through those threads. If anybody willing to sell his/her remote, I will be glad to buy if fulfills my below requirement)

- Toshiba Bluray Player (Should control basic functions, but Media Center functionality for viewing movies through USB external drive is MUST required)

- Sony LED TV (Should at least be able to control AV, Volume control. Other functions like TV Picture settings are most welcome)

- Onkyo HT (Should be able to handle selection of input devices and other basic functions)

- Airtel HD DVR (Channel changing on STB. Most concerned about the recording functionality of DVR. can a Universal remote do that ?)

Please suggest me which Universal Remote would be good enough for my requirements?

Budget is not a constraint, I can consider going for fancy remotes as well if they are worth.

Last and most important question:-
- Does a Universal Remote really make life simple or it's a good idea to control devices with their individual remotes ?

Regards.
technobhatt

I had a logitech harmony 525. It is a very good URC. Logitech URC works on the idea of 'activities'. For example suppose you want to watch a movie in bdp. In logitech software you can define an activity like 'Watch blu-ray' where it will turn on your TV, avr and bdp and turn off unused devices like stb, change avr or tv to the correct hdmi input just by the touch of one button. In this activity, the volume buttons can be configured to control AVR volume, navigation keys for bdp etc. I think you got the general idea of 'activities'. Logitech keeps a database of all devices in their central server and you need an internet connection to configure your remote. No individual remote is necessary as almost all devices are available in the database.

I am using Logitech Harmony One since 2007 and never regretted the purchase. Now the remote is upgraded as Logitech Harmony One Advanced. Can't go wrong here.

I had a logitech harmony 525. It is a very good URC. Logitech URC works on the idea of 'activities'. For example suppose you want to watch a movie in bdp. In logitech software you can define an activity like 'Watch blu-ray' where it will turn on your TV, avr and bdp and turn off unused devices like stb, change avr or tv to the correct hdmi input just by the touch of one button. In this activity, the volume buttons can be configured to control AVR volume, navigation keys for bdp etc. I think you got the general idea of 'activities'. Logitech keeps a database of all devices in their central server and you need an internet connection to configure your remote. No individual remote is necessary as almost all devices are available in the database.

I am using Logitech Harmony One since 2007 and never regretted the purchase. Now the remote is upgraded as Logitech Harmony One Advanced. Can't go wrong here.

Thanks ! Looks like a convenient functionality on Logitech remote.
My biggest doubt is...does Logitech harmony control Channel Changing on STB and Recording fuctions of a DVR ?
Any particular model, can you name ? I am really not able to figure out difference between various models of Logitech.

Thanks ! Looks like a convenient functionality on Logitech remote.
My biggest doubt is...does Logitech harmony control Channel Changing on STB and Recording fuctions of a DVR ?
Any particular model, can you name ? I am really not able to figure out difference between various models of Logitech.
Logitech has almost every device in the world that is stored in their database. For some reason, if a particular device is not listed, it can "learn" from the existing remote.

In the "learn" mode, you point the original device remote to the Harmony remote (rear end). The interface prompts you to press various buttons on the original remote for the functions (play, ff, rew, stop, rec, prev, next, up, down, left, right, etc.). The Harmony remote waits for the IR signal from the orig remote. Once received, the command on Harmony is programmed. These settings are saved in your user account. So there is no chance of forgetting. It is a little lengthy process but gets the job done.

I will tell you, you cannot go wrong with Logitech Harmony remotes (any model). Each model differs only in features but the base software and programming is still the same.

Regarding the correct model: I will say that you should stay away from Harmony 1100 - it is very unwieldy and only operates via touchscreen. Also it is very costly. And if you sit accidentally on the remote, then it is a permanent good bye. The 900 model and One advanced are identical except that 900 model has wireless function. In my opinion, this function is not very relevant in India, unless your amp/AVR/etc. are located in a different room. The lower end models will lack a touchscreen interface, et al. The touchscreen interface works well and is convenient but at a price. So I will recommend either H1 Advanced or H700 or H650.

Last edited:

I infact was having logitech Harmony 895 URC with RF receiver. The only draw back with harmony remotes are the frequently used buttons go bad after a year or two. And its really painful to get that fixed.
Thats the very simple reason i went for Acoustic research, where the frequently accessed buttons(vol + -, Ch + - , mute) are made of a diff press tech pads. Almost a year over and the buttons are going strong.
This also has activity based macros, which can be set.

cheers,
Vince

I have harmony 525 with me.. used it for couple of times.. let me know if interested..

I have harmony 525 with me.. used it for couple of times.. let me know if interested..

Harmony 525 is a good remote control. Only problem I found is with the battery life. Four AAA batteries will last only one month. Rechargeable batteries are recommended. It has 2 year warranty and if it goes kaput, you will get a brand new higher model from logitech as this model is discontinued.

If you are looking for good RF range as well, URC MX-450 is pretty good.
Else Harmony one or 900 should do the job for you..

Back