suggestion to Tweaking Windows 8.1 For Audio

kb_vells

Hi
I have Dell alienware laptop with 14inch display, 16GB RAM and 1TB hard disk. I7 with 2.5Ghz. I am using foobar. The audio quality is not that great.

I am having Mac laptop, i5, 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM and 256 SSD and using VOX as a player. Mac outperforms Windows laptop in every way even though windows laptop has superior spec. Any suggestion for Tweaking Windows 8.1 For Audio

Hi
I have Dell alienware laptop with 14inch display, 16GB RAM and 1TB hard disk. I7 with 2.5Ghz. I am using foobar. The audio quality is not that great.

I am having Mac laptop, i5, 2.5Ghz, 8GB RAM and 256 SSD and using VOX as a player. Mac outperforms Windows laptop in every way even though windows laptop has superior spec. Any suggestion for Tweaking Windows 8.1 For Audio

If you can bypass the default windows kernel sound processing, you may have a better audio quality. Below is the link on how to do it :

Bypassing Windows kernel audio mixer - Audial

In my system I have separate DAC which take the O/P of this ASIO through USB.

HI
Thanks for the prompt response, I will try to implement the suggestion. it is my primary laptop, Will it have any impact on my day to day work.

Also have you ever done DPC latency tweaking on Windows 8.1

My friend (vijwilso) suggested DPC latency check which is provided in link below. but it will not work for windows 8.1

DPC Latency Checker

Install the WASAPI plugin for foobar. In foobar Preferences menu, select the appropriate WASAPI device as your output device. This will bypass the OS audio engine. While you're at it, try Buffer length of about 50 msec.

HI
Thanks for the prompt response, I will try to implement the suggestion. it is my primary laptop, Will it have any impact on my day to day work.

Also have you ever done DPC latency tweaking on Windows 8.1

My friend (vijwilso) suggested DPC latency check which is provided in link below. but it will not work for windows 8.1

DPC Latency Checker

I haven't tried ASIO on Windows8. But there should not be any problem. But if it is your primary laptop, better not to try.

How did you ascertain that Mac is outperforming Windows in sound reproduction?

Good question. I keep listening to same song at the similar volume, close to same settings like sample rate etc. With my listening experience and I can find Mac with VOX is relatively better than Windows 8.1 with Foobar. Ofcourse, I didn't optimise my windows machine for audio listening as suggested in the thread. At the same, both my windows and mac have very limited softwares and with fresh installation recently.

I am not Mac biased person but still I find it listening experience is too good in Mac when compared with Windows. My friend pointed out that he is using windows 7 optimised for audio far superior to Mac. that is whole reason I started the thread

Good question. I keep listening to same song at the similar volume, close to same settings like sample rate etc. With my listening experience and I can find Mac with VOX is relatively better than Windows 8.1 with Foobar. Ofcourse, I didn't optimise my windows machine for audio listening as suggested in the thread. At the same, both my windows and mac have very limited softwares and with fresh installation recently.

I am not Mac biased person but still I find it listening experience is too good in Mac when compared with Windows. My friend pointed out that he is using windows 7 optimised for audio far superior to Mac. that is whole reason I started the thread

Perhaps there might a difference because of the sound card?
Perhaps VOX might be adding (or subtracting) something to the sound to make it appear better?

The OS on its own cannot change the sound ...

Hi

<>Any suggestion for Tweaking Windows 8.1 For Audio

I run win 8.1, on a zotac with a spdif out. the (I believe untouched, uncolored) bitstream goes to the DAC on the amp.

Music (flacs) played using foobar with wasapi sounds just fine.

I had previously tried out linux on the same machine (while i waited for a fk delivered 32 bit win 8. 1 CD to be replaced with 64 bit) and could not tell the difference.

I read about jitter, latency, tweaks and audio only OS and said fuggit, I will probably get more out of this rig if i add DRC with rig and room for the biggest bang for buck/ time (I "only" need the mic and the knowledge to make REW work).

This because my reading suggested that stuff like that is especially significant for recording rather than playback and that with SPDIF as opposed to HDMI I should be just fine. And that OS does not matter

OR you could probably say i am a philistine or lazy and misinterpretated what i read and be quite correct

By the way an atom processor should do just as well, an i7 is not going to play music any better AFAIK

edit: but what do i know may not be enough or incorrect or both http://www.hifivision.com/home-thea...oobar-kernel-wasapi-streaming.html#post650807

ciao
gr

Last edited:
Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back