Suggestions for a 7 channel AVR for atmos.

kiranmsthampi

Hey guys,

As the title says I'm looking to buy a 7 channel AVR in bangalore. This will be my first ever AVR. Would love to keep it around 50k is possible.
I'm looking for something in the entry level section. But few things i need are Dolby vision, hdmi 2.1 and earc support (and maybe something with good room correction? ) Anything else i should look for?
I saw two models in amazon. Denon AVR-S760H and Denon AVR-X1700H(both shows below 60k in amazon). But I'm not so sure whether its the best place to buy. Worried about warranty and service.

My primary use case will be watching movies an occasional music playback. Right now planning to just use some cheap speaker package(probably yamaha) and upgrade them later.

Pls suggest. Do let me know whether any more details are needed for providing better suggestions since im pretty new to this.

Just buy with reputed online dealer or just walk in authorised distributors/resellers showroom to buy the AV receivers. Most of the amazon bought electronics goods were not accepted for warranty.

Do visit a good showroom for buying AV receivers. You will be able to look at what they are capable of in person and then be able to take a decision accordingly.

I was also studying Atmos and DTX for my setup(7.1.4) and recently gone through videos on Dolby Atmos, since this is your primary requirement apart from Dolby vision, hdmi 2.1 and earc so would like to share few things.

Do watch videos from this guy, he explains Dolby documentation in detail. I have actually drawn everything on paper for my 7.1 setup and for 7.1.4.

For Atmos best is to have height speakers(wall or ceiling depending on dolby documentation, watch youtube video on this). Now you can have 2,4 or even more speakers for Atmos.

Standard is .2 or .4.

See if you can go for an AV receiver with 11.2 preout and 9 powered channels. with this you can do a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2 and if you use external 2ch power amp for front in future you can also use 7.1.4.

With 7 powered channels you are limited to 5.1.2

- Look for both Dolby Atmos and DTSX support, usually all modern AV receivers have them. You will need both of them.(Example
JUMAJI 4K Welcome to jungle has Dolby Atmos
JUMANJ 4K The next level has DTSX)

- Make sure AV receiver support 4K/8K, all AV receivers after 2020 have them.
- You could go for an old discontinued receiver to lower cost or a used one.

on the content side things are not so good
-Not all 1080p Bluray have Atmos or DTSX
-Most UHD Bluray's I have checked had Atmos or DTSX but 4K is costly.
-DTSX on bluray is better from bit rate perspective but you will see Dolby Atmos on Streaming sites.
- Amazon, Netflix or Disney content bitrate is low for video and audio, they support a lossy form of Atmos. I do not know how good/bad their atmos stream is. On the video side I can confirm that my 1080p projector with bluray as source way better than 1080p content from streaming sites and likely due to low bit rates.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

As the title says I'm looking to buy a 7 channel AVR in bangalore. This will be my first ever AVR. Would love to keep it around 50k is possible.
I'm looking for something in the entry level section. But few things i need are Dolby vision, hdmi 2.1 and earc support (and maybe something with good room correction? ) Anything else i should look for?
I saw two models in amazon. Denon AVR-S760H and Denon AVR-X1700H(both shows below 60k in amazon). But I'm not so sure whether its the best place to buy. Worried about warranty and service.

My primary use case will be watching movies an occasional music playback. Right now planning to just use some cheap speaker package(probably yamaha) and upgrade them later.

Pls suggest. Do let me know whether any more details are needed for providing better suggestions since im pretty new to this.
Hi ,
Denon X1600H I saw sales in Hifi Classified .

Please check it is available ( seems good price )

Sorry for the late response but i was bit of in a research phase. Thank you for all the replies. And yeah i have decided no to go for online purchase. I was able to find some dealers who offered pretty close price to the online ones.

I was also studying Atmos and DTX for my setup(7.1.4) and recently gone through videos on Dolby Atmos, since this is your primary requirement apart from Dolby vision, hdmi 2.1 and earc so would like to share few things.

Do watch videos from this guy, he explains Dolby documentation in detail. I have actually drawn everything on paper for my 7.1 setup and for 7.1.4.

For Atmos best is to have height speakers(wall or ceiling depending on dolby documentation, watch youtube video on this). Now you can have 2,4 or even more speakers for Atmos.

Standard is .2 or .4.

See if you can go for an AV receiver with 11.2 preout and 9 powered channels. with this you can do a 5.1.4 or a 7.1.2 and if you use external 2ch power amp for front in future you can also use 7.1.4.

With 7 powered channels you are limited to 5.1.2

- Look for both Dolby Atmos and DTSX support, usually all modern AV receivers have them. You will need both of them.(Example
JUMAJI 4K Welcome to jungle has Dolby Atmos
JUMANJ 4K The next level has DTSX)

- Make sure AV receiver support 4K/8K, all AV receivers after 2020 have them.
- You could go for an old discontinued receiver to lower cost or a used one.

on the content side things are not so good
-Not all 1080p Bluray have Atmos or DTSX
-Most UHD Bluray's I have checked had Atmos or DTSX but 4K is costly.
-DTSX on bluray is better from bit rate perspective but you will see Dolby Atmos on Streaming sites.
- Amazon, Netflix or Disney content bitrate is low for video and audio, they support a lossy form of Atmos. I do not know how good/bad their atmos stream is. On the video side I can confirm that my 1080p projector with bluray as source way better than 1080p content from streaming sites and likely due to low bit rates.
This was really helpful. I would love to go for a 7.1.4 setup but sadly budget limits me to 5.1.2. Hoping that would be enough since my room isnt that big either. I believe something like 10x10

Hi ,
Denon X1600H I saw sales in Hifi Classified .

Please check it is available ( seems good price )
Missed out. but i would prefer a new one since i'm pretty new to this. So taking my time to collect enough budget and research.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back