Suggestions for a digital-audio/video driven system

indialogue

Hi Guys,

I'm a beginner audiophile, currently use a Luxman LV-112 and Bose Acoustimass AM-5 speakers donated to me by my dad. I'm now planning to slowly build up my own system. The foundation of the system will be digital audio - I'm a firm believer that CDs will go the way of LPs and with the new lossless formats and buying options available, want to build a system for the entirely digital future. (Note: this is my personal opinion and do not want to start a debate around this. Also, I might reconsider this if I can get/be donated a cheap Arcam FMJ CD23/33 or Emotiva :))

What am I looking for: clarity of sound. I'm not really looking for expressive components and would prefer neutral/clean-sounding components, wherever possible. This is not a hard rule though and am willing to taught and corrected :) Also, am not looking at setting this up as a home theatre, ever. This is just going to be a music rig, despite what the NAS might suggest

Source: Am looking at two right now. My existing Ipod Classic and a planned wireless-enabled eTrayz NAS, which the site says is out of stock - will write and find out if there are any chances of it coming up again. Aside - any recommendations on a NAS within the same price-function range? Wireless access is a must. Budget range is the same as that of the eTrayz

Am also interested in try

Processing: Need specific inputs here. I'm considering several options here -

• Get a standalone DAC such as the Nuforce uDac2, which based on perusing their website looks like has been killed. Hopefully, ebay will have something. Other options based on online reviews are the Purepiper DA-1 DAC, Musical Fidelity V-DAC, Audinst HUD MX-1, Hot Audio DAC WOW, HRT Music Streamer II,

• Would appreciate inputs/reviews on these dacs and specifically, those that are available in India. My outer limit for the DAC is INR 8000, so would definitely prefer something cheaper than that. Please note that I see this as a component that I will "upgrade" as my budget grows over the years

Pre-amps: Am really interested in something like the Trends Audio PA-10SE or the Mini-watt N4. The advantage of the latter is that the DAC is integrated though I haven't been able to find any reviews of this product yet. Other similar products are the HiFiMan EF2 and the LittleDot range. My budget range for this is again INR 8000 but can go upto INR 15000 if it has an integrated DAC. I'm pretty clueless about other options here and would appreciate inputs. Note: I have no preference currently for solid-state over tubes as I haven't listened to tubes yet, my only consideration is cost

Amplifiers: Here, I'm really interested in trying out the Topping TP-20. Yes, the consideration here really isn't price but just want to experiment, and the Topping is one that won't (atleast based on reviews) disappoint too much or break the bank. Any other suggestions - around this whole Class-T concept. Any suggestions on good Class-D options as well - Gainclones and such? Budget will be around INR 10000 at the max, the Topping is around INR 4000 which would be great

Speakers: Based on everything above, would be great if people on the forum can recommend a good pair of bookshelf speakers that would work well with a Class-T/D amp. My budget for this is upto INR 20000. I hear good things about Usher, is that within this price range? Also note, that the next upgrade path for the bookshelves will be dedicated speaker stands. So suggestions on speakers that would benefit from stands would be great as well

Wow, thats a long post. TIA for reading and for your comments/inputs

I use Squeezeboxes as my front ends, and a ReadyNAS Duo with a 2TB HDD as my audio server, music ripped mostly in FLAC. The SBs connect wirelessly since my Netgear wireless router has made my house a wifi hotspot, and my NAS is wired to the router.

I'm a happy customer.

Get a standalone DAC such as the Nuforce uDac2, which based on perusing their website looks like has been killed. Hopefully, ebay will have something. Other options based on online reviews are the Purepiper DA-1 DAC, Musical Fidelity V-DAC, Audinst HUD MX-1, Hot Audio DAC WOW, HRT Music Streamer II,

I am not sure if any of these DACs will be available at less than 8K in India. If you are looking for that kind of pricing, you have to buy it online or in the US.

The other issue is that with DACs, there is no sense is looking for old models. Technology and designs are improving day by day, and a modern DAC will always be smaller, better, more featured, and hopefully, less expensive.

Cheers

Check Peter Daniels NOS DAC, his site is Audiosector. I have one of them and am happy-it offers a very good bang for the buck and if you are inclined, can assemble it here from a kit.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back