Suggestions for a good preamp with subout

spaace

Hi,

I stream my digital content via SPDIF to external dac and then to my amp.

The amp gives an LFE out which is what i feed to my SVS sub.

I want to upgrade my amp & i will be going for a stereo amp/monoblocks but need a solution for my subs, since i don't want to go down the integrated amp route.

Since my content is mainly digital/streamed, a cross over in the digital domain, at the DAC is what i thought might help me out.

But it looks like dacs with sub out is not so common, which leaves the only option as a pre-amp that doubles up as a DAC and has sub out.

Any suggestions?

Does your sub has high level speaker input? If yes then that would be the best way to connect a sub for music rather than using an lfe or preamp out and is recommended by many subwoofer companies. You can run parallel wires from amp speaker terminals to the sub high level input. Theory is that it is better because preamp and amp will affect the sound differently and so by directly using amp output, we can make sure same signal goes to speaker and sub. It doesn't affect load on amplifier since sub uses negligible amount of current from speaker level input, I have tested it and certainly this is certainly better than preamp out to sub, more thump and also volume control works better.

Check if the Rega pre which is on sale works for you
It has pre out , which will volume controlled output to any other like component like a single woofer

Have heard the combo which is for sale. It's surely quiet good at the price

I doubt SVS pb 2000 accepts high level speaker inputs ; so you'll have to look for dedicated SW preouts.
"Yamaha Wxc 50 " (25k) is one option which is quite versatile, you may consider getting rid of your DAC, if the ESS DAC on Wxc 50 satisfies your requirements. The bass heavy sound signature and streaming and looseless format playability will suit your needs.

Otherwise any Preamplifier with two set of preouts (mostly both preouts should be active simultaneously) can be adequate for your purpose. One preouts to power amp and other set to your Subwoofer inputs. You need to use the crossover settings from the subwoofer.
"Schiit Saga"(32k) is a pretty good tube preamp with Remote control and two sets of preouts. It'd gell well with your schiit DAC as well.
You can talk to Viren from Lyrita audio to customize his very good DHT preamp (36k) to be made with two sets of preouts to suit your purpose.

The exposure 3010s2 I (still) have on sale has two sets of pre-outs. You can connect one pair to power amp and the other to a sub with L/R RCA inputs.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back