• Hello and Welcome to HiFiVision.com - an online community for the home entertainment and tech enthusiasts!

If you would like to ask a question, participate in a discussion and view attachments please Register yourself.

Suggestions for CD player that can be used as DAC as well

Home Theatre Systems

Miany

Hi All,

I am having a Schiit Yggdrasil now. I was thinking of getting a dedicated CD transport for the same. In fact, almost bought Denafrips Avatar transport had it not been for the 3 months waiting.

Lately, i have been thinking of getting a dedicated CD player (only for the sake of maintaining a single box than CDT and DAC separately) that can used as a stand-alone DAC as well..something like a Marantz SA-10 or a Pioneer PD 70 AE. Do i have any other options? I am looking for something with BALANCED outputs only.

I certainly dont want to take a hit on SQ for convenience though. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Miany

shyamv

Hi Miany,

Have you taken a look at Marantz SA8005 SACD player with DAC. It has USB Type B, Coax and Optical inputs. I believe it was available on Hifimart some time back. I haven't heard this one yet. There are not that many reviews but Marantz SACD players sound great and are much better build than their entry CD player.

Regards,
Shyam.

shyamv

Hi Miany,

Have you taken a look at Marantz SA8005 SACD player with DAC. It has USB Type B, Coax and Optical inputs. I believe it was available on Hifimart some time back. I haven't heard this one yet. There are not that many reviews but Marantz SACD players sound great and are much better build than their entry CD player.

Regards,
Shyam.
Just realised that this one does not have balanced outputs.

Miany

Hi Miany,

Regards,
Shyam.
Yes. In fact, i had one. Sold last year. I was primarily using that as a CDT with my Yggdrasil. Yes. It was really well-built and good sounding too. Now looking at something in the range of SA-10, which will help me achieving a single box solution.

shyamv

Yes. In fact, i had one. Sold last year. I was primarily using that as a CDT with my Yggdrasil. Yes. It was really well-built and good sounding too. Now looking at something in the range of SA-10, which will help me achieving a single box solution.
Another one that comes to my mind is the wonderful but now-discontinued Oppo UDP-205. I have UDP-203 (without balanced outputs) and it sounds great as a CD/SACD player probably better than most $1500+ dedicated CD players.

rsjaurr

Hi All,
something like a Marantz SA-10 or a Pioneer PD 70 AE. Do i have any other options? I am looking for something with BALANCED

Thanks,
Miany
Between these two I would recommend marantz. Few months ago I too was undecided between these two but then I came across following thread on hfv.

I exchanged few offline messages with a senior FM and he advised me to go with marantz.

However at that price point there are quite a few other contenders which more knowledgeable FM would have more to tell.

Miany

Between these two I would recommend marantz. Few months ago I too was undecided between these two but then I came across following thread on hfv.

I exchanged few offline messages with a senior FM and he advised me to go with marantz.

However at that price point there are quite a few other contenders which more knowledgeable FM would have more to tell.
Yes. I too have read some really positive reviews about SA-10. I think they have patented the DAC implementation in SA-10 (Marantz Musical Mastering or something). Let me know if you remember the other players that you considered in the similar price range.

shyamv

Yes. I too have read some really positive reviews about SA-10. I think they have patented the DAC implementation in SA-10 (Marantz Musical Mastering or something). Let me know if you remember the other players that you considered in the similar price range.
SA-10 looks awesome. I haven't heard any CD player at this price point. I really need to upgrade my CD player. My 2000+ CDs are not getting their due.

Miany

SA-10 looks awesome. I haven't heard any CD player at this price point. I really need to upgrade my CD player. My 2000+ CDs are not getting their due.
Yes Man... if you have so many CDs, you need a high quality player for sure. Hifimart is offering 8005 for around 78K i think.

shyamv

Yes Man... if you have so many CDs, you need a high quality player for sure. Hifimart is offering 8005 for around 78K i think.
I had a 10 year old Naim CD5 XS which I had to sell (along with most of my 120v electronics ) when I moved back to India last year. I bought a Marantz CD6006 as a stop-gap while I was rebuilding my systems. I haven't had a chance to buy a better CD player yet. Hope to do sometime. Thanks for tip re SA8005. Will take a look. There's a FM offering Naim Nait CD5si... That's intersting as well.

rsjaurr

Sorry I forgot to post the link.
Here it is

oracle1974

Hi All,

I am having a Schiit Yggdrasil now. I was thinking of getting a dedicated CD transport for the same. In fact, almost bought Denafrips Avatar transport had it not been for the 3 months waiting.

Lately, i have been thinking of getting a dedicated CD player (only for the sake of maintaining a single box than CDT and DAC separately) that can used as a stand-alone DAC as well..something like a Marantz SA-10 or a Pioneer PD 70 AE. Do i have any other options? I am looking for something with BALANCED outputs only.

I certainly dont want to take a hit on SQ for convenience though. Please share your thoughts.

Thanks,
Miany
It may not be a bad idea to wait. Buying a CD transport can help in adding a new DAC in future to enjoy a different sound signature. Unless, this CD player is the last of your audio purchases. But that is not going to be the case right ?

Miany

Unless, this CD player is the last of your audio purchases. But that is not going to be the case right ?
Absolutely spot on! Even though we all think that every purchase is going to be the last or at least last few years, most of the time we end up upgrading it sooner.

Schiit Yggdrasil is an exemption for me though. I never wanted a CD player for an SQ improvement. Its purely because of the convenience of maintaining a single box solution avoiding CDT + DAC and the digital interconnects in between.