Suggestions for Home Theatre

mvikred

Hi

I am looking to build a HT set up using a good AVR that is future proof and start building a HT with a 2 speaker set up. The viewing distance of the TV from the sofa is ~10ft, and to the right of the sitting area is a glass door that opens to the balcony and to the left of the sitting area is an open space. There is a wall facing the TV, so there is a possibility of setting up surround speakers in the future. As of now I want to start with a 2 speaker set up with a good AVR.

My current choice is as follows - Denon AVR-X 1500H with Q-acoustics 3020i Bookshelf speakers.

At a later point in time I would like to add the rest of the HT components.

It would be useful to get the help of the members here regarding the following

1. Are the speakers I chose to expand in the future good enough? Or am I missing out on other options? Other options I thought of are Dali Zensor 3 or Monitor Bronze Bookshelf speakers
2. Is the choice of speakers sufficient for the room size and set up?
3. Would 2 speakers be good enough to start the set up or would you suggest that we add a 3 speaker set up with the centre speaker?
4. I plan to listen to a good amount of music, would this set up fit this ?

Kind regards

Vikas

Hi

I am looking to build a HT set up using a good AVR that is future proof and start building a HT with a 2 speaker set up. The viewing distance of the TV from the sofa is ~10ft, and to the right of the sitting area is a glass door that opens to the balcony and to the left of the sitting area is an open space. There is a wall facing the TV, so there is a possibility of setting up surround speakers in the future. As of now I want to start with a 2 speaker set up with a good AVR.

My current choice is as follows - Denon AVR-X 1500H with Q-acoustics 3020i Bookshelf speakers.

At a later point in time I would like to add the rest of the HT components.

It would be useful to get the help of the members here regarding the following

1. Are the speakers I chose to expand in the future good enough? Or am I missing out on other options? Other options I thought of are Dali Zensor 3 or Monitor Bronze Bookshelf speakers
2. Is the choice of speakers sufficient for the room size and set up?
3. Would 2 speakers be good enough to start the set up or would you suggest that we add a 3 speaker set up with the centre speaker?
4. I plan to listen to a good amount of music, would this set up fit this ?

Kind regards

Vikas
I use denon 2400 with Dali z3 nd it’s amazing. Better go for 2400 or 2500. Both perform better for 4k. Nd if 4k is not ur concern you can settle for 1500. If budget permits you can go with complete 5.1 else you can start with a 2.1 set up first which is way better then a 3 speaker set up for both movies and music. Please do plan a sub. If you just get two book shelves the avr will automatically set the front L/R to large and play the LFE signal in the fronts. Good luck with your hunt for a HT

I use denon 2400 with Dali z3 nd it’s amazing. Better go for 2400 or 2500. Both perform better for 4k. Nd if 4k is not ur concern you can settle for 1500. If budget permits you can go with complete 5.1 else you can start with a 2.1 set up first which is way better then a 3 speaker set up for both movies and music. Please do plan a sub. If you just get two book shelves the avr will automatically set the front L/R to large and play the LFE signal in the fronts. Good luck with your hunt for a HT

Thanks a lot for the response. How would you say is the low end response of the Z3 by themselves? I plan to have a sub but will build it up slowly rather than waiting and saving money for the purchase.

I thought 1500 also gives 4K passthrough !! Will have to check again though.

Thanks a lot for the response. How would you say is the low end response of the Z3 by themselves? I plan to have a sub but will build it up slowly rather than waiting and saving money for the purchase.

I thought 1500 also gives 4K passthrough !! Will have to check again though.
It gives pass through but when ur watching 4k content and use the receiver remote for settings there will be a flickering cause the on screen menu options will not be in 4k. I don’t think it can upscale where as the 2400/2500 will upscale. I haven’t personally witnessed it but in some reviews I have seen for 1400 so not sure if it’s the same for 1500. Coming to the dali z3 it gives decent low end response. I watched venom without a sub but in a 5.0 setup. Surrounds were z1 nd centre being the zensor vokal and it was just amazing. The zensor vokal produces good bass. Denon Dali is an amazing combo. Other options in similar budget is QAcoustics, Polk. Personally I don’t prefer the Polk. The sound signature is much better in the dalis. You will have to audition nd purchase as per your liking

It gives pass through but when ur watching 4k content and use the receiver remote for settings there will be a flickering cause the on screen menu options will not be in 4k. I don’t think it can upscale where as the 2400/2500 will upscale. I haven’t personally witnessed it but in some reviews I have seen for 1400 so not sure if it’s the same for 1500. Coming to the dali z3 it gives decent low end response. I watched venom without a sub but in a 5.0 setup. Surrounds were z1 nd centre being the zensor vokal and it was just amazing. The zensor vokal produces good bass. Denon Dali is an amazing combo. Other options in similar budget is QAcoustics, Polk. Personally I don’t prefer the Polk. The sound signature is much better in the dalis. You will have to audition nd purchase as per your liking

Thanks again. I am not a big fan of Polk's sound signature. Felt it was a bit too high when I auditioned them a couple of years back. It was always between Dali and Q Acoustics. I will have to audition both to figure out which one works. Do you know where I can audition these in Bangalore? Dali's might be easy to audition but Q Acoustics is the one I am not sure where to audition. The usual places, viz. DNI, ProFX, etc. do not have Q Acoustics per their websites/catalogues. Any leads would be very helpful.

Since you are planning to listen to lots of music, I recommend Marantz AVR. You may consider 1609 or 5013.
If you need IMAX enhanced feature, you need to consider 6013.
No AVR is future proof, most of the AVR brands release new AVR models every year. Some features will get added in new AVRs, some are minor changes and in some years there are some good changes.

Since you are considering Bookshelf speakers, I recommend a subwoofer in the setup - you can go for a 2.1 setup.
You may consider sealed subwoofers like SVS SB2000 which will be a nice addition for music.
You can audition SVS at HTStore and The Home Cinema (Rupesh: 8296500666)
You can also audition SVS Prime Bookshelf speakers, if you would like to. Experience the Marantz+SVS Bookshelf+SVS SB2000 combo.

Babblegroup.com is the distributor for Q Acoustics, you may contact them for Audition.

Thanks again. I am not a big fan of Polk's sound signature. Felt it was a bit too high when I auditioned them a couple of years back. It was always between Dali and Q Acoustics. I will have to audition both to figure out which one works. Do you know where I can audition these in Bangalore? Dali's might be easy to audition but Q Acoustics is the one I am not sure where to audition. The usual places, viz. DNI, ProFX, etc. do not have Q Acoustics per their websites/catalogues. Any leads would be very helpful.
I don’t have any idea who will have q acoustics for demo in Bangalore. In Chennai audioholics have demo. But if u can audition Dali and satisfied with the sound quality just get them. There are variety of speakers nd the more u compare the more u will get confused with various FM saying get this get that. If u don’t like Dali after audition u can check other brands. Z3 will sound warm nd give decent bass. I am using it for more then 6 months nd just fall in love with them daily. I have listened to q acoustics nd they are good to.

I don’t have any idea who will have q acoustics for demo in Bangalore. In Chennai audioholics have demo. But if u can audition Dali and satisfied with the sound quality just get them. There are variety of speakers nd the more u compare the more u will get confused with various FM saying get this get that. If u don’t like Dali after audition u can check other brands. Z3 will sound warm nd give decent bass. I am using it for more then 6 months nd just fall in love with them daily. I have listened to q acoustics nd they are good to.
Can’t disagree with that logic. Will try out Dali !!

Anyone from the forum has suggestions for a place to try them out??

Since you are planning to listen to lots of music, I recommend Marantz AVR. You may consider 1609 or 5013.
If you need IMAX enhanced feature, you need to consider 6013.
No AVR is future proof, most of the AVR brands release new AVR models every year. Some features will get added in new AVRs, some are minor changes and in some years there are some good changes.

Since you are considering Bookshelf speakers, I recommend a subwoofer in the setup - you can go for a 2.1 setup.
You may consider sealed subwoofers like SVS SB2000 which will be a nice addition for music.
You can audition SVS at HTStore and The Home Cinema (Rupesh: 8296500666)
You can also audition SVS Prime Bookshelf speakers, if you would like to. Experience the Marantz+SVS Bookshelf+SVS SB2000 combo.

Babblegroup.com is the distributor for Q Acoustics, you may contact them for Audition.

You are right when you said that music is the focus with the potential to expand it to a HT slowly.

I have known about SVS but always thought that they were quite pricey. The current budget I have in mind is around ₹1-1.25l, which should get me a 2.1 and AVR !!

And when I say future proof, I mean that I wouldn’t feel the need to replace it. E.g. Having 4K 60hz pass through and features such as Atmos and DTS:X etc.

Currently there is not much confusion on the 4K/UHD video part. Only in case of audio there are Atmos or DTS:X and both are supported by most of the current AVRs.

I think there will be two tracks in near future
1) Dolby Vision + Dolby Atmos Discs
2) IMAX + DTS:X Discs (IMAX Enhanced).

IMAX Enhanced is expected to have higher aspect ratio (screen height). I have 16:9 screen, but most of the movies are coming with 21:9 (wide screen) type aspect ration and I see black bars on top and bottom. If IMAX enhanced is coming out with 16:9 movies, utilisation of my screen area will be better ;)

IMAX also claims that better video processing which will reduce grain. We have to wait and see how it turns out.

At present only Marantz 6013 and above supports IMAX Enhanced.
In case of Denon currently supported from 4500H and above.

I would strongly recommend, based on my experience, to go for a floorstanding speakers instead of bookshelves. Depending on your taste you might even end up not feeling need for subwoofer.

Floorstanding speakers will get you more close to realism with more relaxed presentation.

I would strongly recommend, based on my experience, to go for a floorstanding speakers instead of bookshelves. Depending on your taste you might even end up not feeling need for subwoofer.

Floorstanding speakers will get you more close to realism with more relaxed presentation.
Ideally I prefer a floor stander but given the space constraints I can’t at the moment. Maybe when I move to a new house !!!! Which won’t happen anytime soon :)

I called HT Store and was speaking to them about the speakers and Lokesh suggested Dali Oberon 1s. How are they compared to the Zensor line? and I would assume the bass would be low (much like the Zensor 1)?

you could consider the oberon3 instead as its got a 7" woofer and would be better in the long run. The oberon5 has 5star rating from whathifi. It is better to take an audition and decide though. If budget permits, consider Bookshelf+ Centre+ sub to get in one go so that you would enjoy the setup

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back