Suggestions for my first Speakers around 6k.

yashaskm11

Looking for good sounding speakers for my room (approx 10 x 8 ft), currently looking at HiVi Swans M10, selling for 5.8k on amazon. Some old reviews suggest they are pretty good for the price. Are there any new alternatives that have come up in recent years? or, are they still the best in this segment?
Any suggestions or any traps to avoid for first-time buyers?

Welcome to HFV !

Some Edifier speakers will come in that budget. I have heard Edifier R1700BT at a friends place briefly and they were decent for the price

Information about your music preferences, Source, Amplifier etc will help you to get more suggestions

Looking for good sounding speakers for my room (approx 10 x 8 ft), currently looking at HiVi Swans M10, selling for 5.8k on amazon. Some old reviews suggest they are pretty good for the price. Are there any new alternatives that have come up in recent years? or, are they still the best in this segment?
Any suggestions or any traps to avoid for first-time buyers?
It would help you get more suggestions if you specify your current source.

Considering the fact that you are looking at the Hivi Swans M10, I presume you want active speakers and not passive solutions (which will require a separate amp).

Secondly, will you be using them in a desktop setting (i.e. nearfield listening) or while watching TV and the like from a distance?

Last but not the least, will you be using them while gaming and watching movies or listening to music?

Insofar as suggestions are concerned, do check if the JBL 104's are available in your budget.

I have tried the Edifier 1280DBs and my experience with them was disappointing to say the least. The SQ through the inbuilt bluetooth was atrocious. It has the ignominy of being the one piece of gear that did not last more than a month with me.

The Hivi Swans M10 may not suffice for movies. If your primary content consumption leans towards movies and games, do consider extending your budget and going for something like the Logitech Z623.

However, I did find it curious that the Swan M10s have two versions - a 31w version and a 15w.

Last edited:
I use altec Lansing 2.1 pc speakers at home in my pc for music and movies when I'm online.

Great sound and bass.

You can get them for 1800 on OLX and you won't go wrong

I use altec Lansing 2.1 pc speakers at home in my pc for music and movies when I'm online.

Great sound and bass.

You can get them for 1800 on OLX and you won't go wrong
It would be helpful if you could specify the model number. I remember Altec Lansing models that came out after 2010 were no good, the last of the flagbearers of the good ol' days being the MX5021.

I would recommend trying out Obage HT144 It was close to 6K earlier.
I bought Obage HT-303 for WFH while I moved to my hometown a year ago. I liked the sound clarity and signature. Compared to that model, this has higher output and bigger speakers. You may give a try.

Considering the fact that you are looking at the Hivi Swans M10, I presume you want active speakers and not passive solutions (which will require a separate amp).

Secondly, will you be using them in a desktop setting (i.e. nearfield listening) or while watching TV and the like from a distance?

Last but not the least, will you be using them while gaming and watching movies or listening to music?

Insofar as suggestions are concerned, do check if the JBL 104's are available in your budget.

I have tried the Edifier 1280DBs and my experience with them was disappointing to say the least. The SQ through the inbuilt bluetooth was atrocious. It has the ignominy of being the one piece of gear that did not last more than a month with me.

The Hivi Swans M10 may not suffice for movies. If your primary content consumption leans towards movies and games, do consider extending your budget and going for something like the Logitech Z623.

However, I did find it curious that the Swan M10s have two versions - a 31w version and a 15w.

My current audio source is straight from the PC's motherboard (I know it's not great, will be buying a DAC later).
I'll be using them mainly for listening to music on my desktop.
I like flat and natural-sounding speakers.
And I too was surprised by the two versions of Swans M10, thanks for mentioning it here.
Had a look at JBL 104BT (currently on sale for Rs. 5999 on Flipkart), I mostly see good reviews of non-BT versions which are priced higher and sponsored content of BT versions on Youtube.
What are the actual differences between them? (Are they a downgrade from originals ?)

My current audio source is straight from the PC's motherboard (I know it's not great, will be buying a DAC later).
Better save the money for the DAC and spend it on better speakers. A DAC for a 6K speaker is not going to yield much results, if any.
I'll be using them mainly for listening to music on my desktop.
I like flat and natural-sounding speakers.
Could you describe some other speaker systems that you've come across which you perceive as flat and natural? That ways, people will have a point of reference for what you consider as flat and natural to give you better suggestions.

I recently acquired a pair of Swans - the D1090 (the big daddy swans - they come with 220W of combined amplification and 6.5 inch drivers) and they are anything but flat (or natural).
And I too was surprised by the two versions of Swans M10, thanks for mentioning it here.
Had a look at JBL 104BT (currently on sale for Rs. 5999 on Flipkart), I mostly see good reviews of non-BT versions which are priced higher and sponsored content of BT versions on Youtube.
What are the actual differences between them? (Are they a downgrade from originals ?)
I am not aware of the differences but somebody online must have surely made the comparison or for that matter, there will be plenty of reviews. Google is your best friend in these circumstances. Do note that a number of users have noted that the JBL 104 lacks sufficient bass weight and excursion.

Last edited:
If your budget is flexible, see JBL Control 1 pro. These are passive speakers and will require an external amplifier. With discounts you may get them for 8K

Would you suggest the Control 1 over the 104 ?
No idea about the JBL 104. I have the Control 1 pro as my desk speakers and found them quite decent for the price. Above it's price you can look at entry level studio monitors

Just spoke to the Seller (Proaudiohome) regarding the different versions of Swans M10 on Amazon.
Got a confirmation that there is only one version of Hivi's Swans M10 available in two colour variants (Black and White).
The variant in white is usually priced higher because they have limited stock.
And there are no other differences in power or anything.

Better save the money for the DAC and spend it on better speakers. A DAC for a 6K speaker is not going to yield much results, if any.

Could you describe some other speaker systems that you've come across which you perceive as flat and natural? That ways, people will have a point of reference for what you consider as flat and natural to give you better suggestions.

I recently acquired a pair of Swans - the D1090 (the big daddy swans - they come with 220W of combined amplification and 6.5 inch drivers) and they are anything but flat (or natural).

I am not aware of the differences but somebody online must have surely made the comparison or for that matter, there will be plenty of reviews. Google is your best friend in these circumstances. Do note that a number of users have noted that the JBL 104 lacks sufficient bass weight and excursion.
Bought JBL 104-BT and felt it was lacking bass and highs were not up to the mark, so returned them.
Looking at Swans M10 for now, any other suggestions?

Bought JBL 104-BT and felt it was lacking bass and highs were not up to the mark, so returned them.
Looking at Swans M10 for now, any other suggestions?
IMHO any pair that does a separate .1 is always better than the other.
From what I see online, the Swans do offer this and should work.

Regds

PS: Please be very clear in your head if bass is very important; if so go for an active pair which has a .1

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back