Suggestions for SS Integrated/Power Amplifier

kratu

I’m on a look out for a power amplifier or an integrated for an Acoustic Portrait speaker 89dB: Sensitivity 8 Ohms. Power rating would be 40-120W.

I’d prefer to listen to electronic (IDM, Downtempo, Ambient) at times. The preference would be an amp that has good agility, timing, dynamic range and coherence even with complex compositions. Being electronic music, tonal accuracy, imaging is preferable but not a priority. It has to be as revealing, transparent as possible. Bass/low frequency needs to be tight and not overpowering and highs have to refined. Giving a lot of details. In fact, I’d prefer that it doesn’t colour or warp the frequency curve.

I currently have a system in a 12x14 feet room. I’m considering to move that into 20x40 feet room (with a divider) for better sound. The current source is a hi-res network streamer.

If it is an integrated amp with a possibility for just using that as a power amplifier, that would give me a flexibility. I might plug a tube pre-amp for certain music genres. This is going to be a blind purchase as I have constraints due to my location and the inability to do a home demo/audition. So, I'll have to base this on reviews and subjective data of those who have good experience with trying many amps.

The budget is around the range of 2L. I can push a bit further if it makes sense. Some of the brands. I’m considering are the Acoustic Portrait, Naim, LFD, etc. A minor consideration is to go for the ones with decent resale value (just in case).

What are the technicalities I need to consider (input sensitivity, power rating)?
What is the ideal power rating to give the speakers enough muscle?

From all I have seen of it, they sound best with their own amplification since that is a synergy they have been designed with. Anything else will mostly be less than optimal to that pairing. dB and ohms only give an indication or pairing and with that all of your amps mentioned are good fits.

I’d prefer to listen to electronic (IDM, Downtempo, Ambient) at times. The preference would be an amp that has good agility, timing, dynamic range and coherence even with complex compositions. Being electronic music, tonal accuracy, imaging is preferable but not a priority. It has to be as revealing, transparent as possible. Bass/low frequency needs to be tight and not overpowering and highs have to refined. Giving a lot of details. In fact, I’d prefer that it doesn’t colour or warp the frequency curve.

I acquired a LFD Mk III amplifier in the previous week. I'm glad I posted this requirement. It checks most of the boxes and fits almost exactly to the preferences I was looking for. Relatively less know yet highly acclaimed. There are already quite a few good reviews out there. So, I won't add much.

Congratulations ! BTW were you able to hear an AP amplifier as well ?

I acquired a LFD Mk III amplifier in the previous week. I'm glad I posted this requirement. It checks most of the boxes and fits almost exactly to the preferences I was looking for. Relatively less know yet highly acclaimed. There are already quite a few good reviews out there. So, I won't add much.
I think you should air your views and feedback about the LFD here as well.. Congratulations

I think you should air your views and feedback about the LFD here as well.. Congratulations
I’ve just listened to the system for around eight hours. So, it might be too early for a review. However, I can describe initial impressions.

Revealing, neutral, agile, cohesive. Can an amp sound agile yet refined? This amp says, you can. I was looking for an amp with great timing and dynamics. Knowing that I wouldn’t get everything, I was willing to accept the tradeoffs. This amp gave me more than I asked for.

Very revealing and transparent. If you play a well recorded track, it will reward you immensely. If the track is not so optimal, it will show you, but it won’t punish.

To sound less fatiguing, a common solution employed is to roll it off or apply harmonic distortion. This amp will NOT do that. When you think that bright white is just a single swatch, it will show you 256 shades of white. The dynamic range is that wide.

The agility and dynamics are equally impressive. Works really well with contemporary music (including electronic). If you play vintage Jazz, it will glow your room. Playing vinyl will give you best of both worlds, warmth and transparency. Play any genre of music, it will sound good.

The story behind the amp is fascinating. This is a result of decades of work by Dr Richard Bews, based in south Britain. This is hand crafted by the owner, with parts carefully chosen. It deserves the same recognition as the Harbeths. The beauty of the amplifier is in its simplicity. The inside of the amp is deceptively simple. That makes the sound more coherent. There is very low distortion and low feedback.

It is very difficult to describe the downsides. The only disadvantage is that it is a SS and not a tube amp. With this amp, you probably might never miss tubes.

Congratulations ! BTW were you able to hear an AP amplifier as well ?
I have heard their Swara power+pre. That's a class AB architecture. I've checked with them about their Thiyaga amplifier. Unfortunately, the pandemic impacted the production. So, it might be a while to get that (and pricier).

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back