Suggestions for the best Center Channel Speaker under 5K

Manufacturers will always overstate facts. If they were always honest, there would not be any need for the Caveat Emptor principle.

Since it is we who are expected to part with our money, we must exercise due discretion before any purchase. This is where forums like these come in real handy. We can even ask silly questions without any hitch; someone somewhere will always come up with a useful answer.

BTW, I think we have been diverted from the original objective of this thread. :)

I will go by the layman logic , How can you expect an amp of a complete setup for 14K to happily drive a speaker set itself costing ~18-20K ..... :)

Listen to what cm has said .....makes sense .... rest as sud said its better to have the same center spk as the fronts. If even that does not account for some reason try QAcoustics 1000Ci

I will go by the layman logic , How can you expect an amp of a complete setup for 14K to happily drive a speaker set itself costing ~18-20K ..... :)

Listen to what cm has said .....makes sense .... rest as sud said its better to have the same center spk as the fronts. If even that does not account for some reason try QAcoustics 1000Ci
I wonder where the sensibility has gone :eek:

What makes you say that the amplifier cost has to be more than the speakers cost ? Einstein wouldn't have said that but I'd like to know the theory, if you have one. You know what ? A 50$ CMOY can drive a 500$ cans easily. Where is the common sense ?

BTW thanks for the suggestion about the center channel. Can you also suggest if they are available somewhere in gurgaon/delhi ?

Last edited:
Alright I read all the views. To all the engineers out there, I have a few questions.

Just a random example

Onkyo Power Amplifier:
Onkyo A-5VL - Integrated Digital Amplifier | Model Information | Onkyo USA Home Theater Products

Power output: 105W x 2 (third row in the amplifier specs section)
Power consumption: 110W (second line in the general section)

Man, this machine is power creator. :O WTF ! You just input 110W and you get 210W. Voila. Einstein must be wrong about his energy equations.

(I am not answering the logic behind this since a lot of guys are finding it strange. It indeed looks strange but is perfectly fine. You guys figure out the mathematics behind this)

Second thing. Running a pair of Good speakers with low wattage, not so good amplifier can damage your speakers.

And somebody said its like running a Mercedes body with a M800 engine. It sure will move but won't be worth it.

The second part sure seems logical and acceptable but where did the damage thing come from ? Going with the same analogy, its similar to saying that running a Mercedes E240's body using a M800 engine can damage the body. :)

Again you guys figure out.

The third thing was about the correlation between the THD and the wattage. There sure exists a relationship and as rightly pointed out the THD will increase as you increase the gain. But what if I do not want to push the limits ? I am good with listing in my room, with the noise level barely audible 20 meters away from my room, why do you think I require more than even 25W per channel @6 ohms ? I am sure the THD will be perfectly under control in that range.

(BTW have you guys even seen the second part of the equation ? Some watts at some OHMs ? There is a logic behind that as well and the second specification is rather more important)

Again think over.

And just to add, I am also a Mechanical Engineer by Qualification and I perfectly know how energy moves. You guys just need to make sure that you are comparing apples to apples.

Power output: 105W x 2 (third row in the amplifier specs section)
Power consumption: 110W (second line in the general section)

Man, this machine is power creator. :O WTF ! You just input 110W and you get 210W. Voila. Einstein must be wrong about his energy equations.

Power O/P is 40 W per channel, not 115 W. 115 W is "Peak" power, if you supply peak power in ALL channels (play a file with test tone in all channels) , Amp's protection circuit will shut it down.

RMS is measured with a fixed test tone (1 KHz in this case) system can handle it and be stable is power is up to 40 W in ALL channels with this test tone.

If one channel is drawing more than 40w, some other channel must be silent.

The third thing was about the correlation between the THD and the wattage. There sure exists a relationship and as rightly pointed out the THD will increase as you increase the gain. But what if I do not want to push the limits ? I am good with listing in my room, with the noise level barely audible 20 meters away from my room, why do you think I require more than even 25W per channel @6 ohms ? I am sure the THD will be perfectly under control in that range.

Thats why I recommend that you audition the speakers in this configuration.

Have front speakers with load that is similar to you current speakers. and then connect center speaker.

That will tell you whether Samsung system can supply enough power to give enough decibels with acceptable THD.

What makes you say that the amplifier cost has to be more than the speakers cost ?

Never said the amp cost should be more that the spk ...... Thats where you think you are over smart....... I said for a speaker pair that itself is close to 20K, cant expect an amp less than 1/3rd the price to drive them ...... let me spoon feed the logic ........ usually its like better the quality of speakers, superior amp required to drive them .....

BTW thanks for the suggestion about the center channel. Can you also suggest if they are available somewhere in gurgaon/delhi ?

Here some more spoon feeding ....

Let me google that for you

Back