Suggestions for the best Center Channel Speaker under 5K

vasishta.sushant

I have the Polk Audio TSi300 as my front speakers and the rear channel speakers are the stock speakers that came with my Samsung Z220 (complete HT system).

The stock Center speaker of the Samsung HT system is pretty weak so want to replace it.

Please suggest me some good center speaker, which is not too big in size and comes in black.

I am looking at Yamaha CS120 (do not want to buy it but letting you know that the size looks perfect)

What is the logic behind replacing the satellites w/ polk TSi towers for the Samsung HTIB (w/o knowing the detailed specs of the samsung amp)? It can damage your amp.

Last edited:
Its generally considered better to have the same centre speakers as the fronts. So would suggest you buy the Polk TSI series center or a matching center from the polk family. The matching should be much better that way.

Its generally considered better to have the same centre speakers as the fronts. So would suggest you buy the Polk TSI series center or a matching center from the polk family. The matching should be much better that way.
Yes I understand that and even looked at CS10/CS20 but they are little too big and would not really fit in my setup so looking for a rather smaller sizes.

Front speaker output 141W x 2(3?)
Centre speaker output 141W(3?)
Rear speaker output 141W x 2(3?)
Subwoofer speaker output 145W(3?)

The polks are 6? and they need minimum 20W to be fed to them.

Have you checked the power consumption of the amp, its 70w max including the sub. (850w from 70w)

Have you checked the power consumption of the amp, its 70w max including the sub. (850w from 70w)
I see what you are saying but I'd suggest you to do a little homework Sir.

Do not want to boot into the rant mode but please have a look here:

Onkyo TSR606
===========
Power Consumption: 550W (Ref: http://www.studio-22.com/onkyo/images/606-conexiones.jpg)

Specs: 90 watts x 7 min (~630W)
210 watts x 7 max (~1470W) (Ref: Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black): Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more)

Now may I ask you, "Have you even checked your gear SIR" ? :rolleyes:

In todays hi fi world eveyone lies about power rating ..but it appers samsung is bigger lier right??:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

850 W power from 70 watts ..where is einstein

BTW this 70 W is maximum power consumption

( EXPERTS PLEASE INTERVENE)

So Average we can asume 50 W RMS Per channel

If There is 20%loss
Remaing watts 30 W/6 Speakers = 5 W RMS Per channel

I am sure samsung conveniently forget to add PMPO

experts please help if my calculation is wrong

Also if yo are driving a high powered speaker with low powered amp,will not it hurt the speaker?

Last edited:
TSi 300 appears to be 8 ohms, 20-150W.
Samsung Z220 fronts are 141 at 2 ohms, which I'm sure is overstated.

Whats missing from above are the THD figures. When Polk says 20-150W, these values are upto a certain max THD level. Trying to feed them the required power by compromising on the THD is not recommended.

I'm sure the Samsung wattage ratings, even if they are not overstated (highly unlikely), have been calculated at substantially higher THD figures. So IMO, the 141W or whatever figure is meaningless really.

The Samsung amp can be used to drive the Polks, the same way as a Maruti 800 engine can drive a Dezire. Sure, the car will move and get you from point A to point B, and thats about it. Cant really call it "driving", though.

Right now, the Polks are "being kept alive on a subsistence diet / emergency rations". They deserve better.

Purely my personal opinion and understanding.

TSi 300 appears to be 8 ohms, 20-150W.
Samsung Z220 fronts are 141 at 2 ohms, which I'm sure is overstated.

Whats missing from above are the THD figures. When Polk says 20-150W, these values are upto a certain max THD level. Trying to feed them the required power by compromising on the THD is not recommended.

I'm sure the Samsung wattage ratings, even if they are not overstated (highly unlikely), have been calculated at substantially higher THD figures. So IMO, the 141W or whatever figure is meaningless really.

The Samsung amp can be used to drive the Polks, the same way as a Maruti 800 engine can drive a Dezire. Sure, the car will move and get you from point A to point B, and thats about it. Cant really call it "driving", though.

Right now, the Polks are "being kept alive on a subsistence diet / emergency rations". They deserve better.

Purely my personal opinion and understanding.

Wow. That was a hell of a post.

Specially the THD factor. That was really helpful.

But wait dude...do you really know what THD is ? They are the distortion figures. They talk about quality and sure the quantity is not dependent on these :lol:

BTW the samsung amp rating is at 3 ohms.

Actually quantity and quality have very high correlation in this case.

At lower output, its easy to achieve better THD. THD goes for a toss as you increase output. To compensate for that, you need better (and expensive) components.

IMHO, despite all this theory, all that matters is whether you like the output or not. I would suggest you take samaung player to shop and audition the speaker to decide. Do remember to connected similar front L+R speakers for realistic audition.

I see what you are saying but I'd suggest you to do a little homework Sir.

Do not want to boot into the rant mode but please have a look here:

Onkyo TSR606
===========
Power Consumption: 550W (Ref: http://www.studio-22.com/onkyo/images/606-conexiones.jpg)

Specs: 90 watts x 7 min (~630W)
210 watts x 7 max (~1470W) (Ref: Amazon.com: Onkyo TX-SR606 7.1 Channel Home Theater Receiver (Black): Electronics: Reviews, Prices & more)

Now may I ask you, "Have you even checked your gear SIR" ? :rolleyes:

Sorry boss, I am not able to understand what you are trying to say. I tried to warn you on using low powered amp or incompatible speakers with your amp which can result in damaging either your amp or speakers (more susceptible).

Every one knows that overrating of the amps is common. You have taken an example from amazon.com which is a portal for selling it. Check the onkyo's website or the technical test result sheets from reviews. It can output 80-90w when all channels are driven. What you have mentioned as 210w (dynamic) is when 2 channels are driven, nowhere onkyo says 210w x 7. So I know what 606 is giving out. An 80-90w can easily DRIVE any speaker (here I am not talking about hearing sound from the speakers).

If you are telling 850w from 70w, then its really an amazing product, go ahead with your speaker selection. As somebody had mentioned before, you will be lucky if it can output atleast 25w per channel and you will hear sound (but definitely will not drive). Please try to understand what people are telling.

Last edited:
I tried to warn you on using low powered amp or incompatible speakers with your amp which can result in damaging either your amp or speakers (more susceptible).

+1. And even if no damage occurs, its absolutely certain that with this combination, the speakers will "speak" but they will not "sing".

@vasishta - Please understand that nobody is trying to be sarcastic here. You asked a question and we're all trying our best to answer based on whatever little knowledge / experience we have.

SAMSUNG HTIB creators must get NOBEL!
And all engineers esp mechanical engg like me should learn fundamentals from Samsung ( and other candidatures of AVR!)

What we learnt
Conservation of energy

Conservation of energy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The law of conservation of energy is an empirical law of physics. It states that the total amount of energy in an isolated system remains constant over time (is said to be conserved over time). A consequence of this law is that energy can neither be created nor destroyed: it can only be transformed from one state to another. The only thing that can happen to energy in a closed system is that it can change form: for instance chemical energy can become kinetic energy.

So any system if there is no loss
Input ( Here 70 Watts) = Output

In all practical systems

Input << Output

BUT Samsung proved that

Input ( 70 W) <<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<< Output ( 850 WATTS!!!))

My lord ..Newtom was fool and Einstein was wrong ...SAMSUNG rules!!:eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah::eek:hyeah:

BTW can this ENERY MULTIPLYER can be reconfigured to get electrical energy?:):)

I WANT TO INTRODUCE SAMSUNG HTIB MY RESIDENTIAL POWER SUPPLY!!:cool::cool::cool:

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back