Suggestions for the right Raspberry Pi

rajivaryan1984

Hi,

I want to use a Raspberry Pi Connected to an external dac via USB and play Hi -Res DSD files stored in my Hard disk or USB drive through the other USB of the Raspberry Pi.

Along with this I should be also be also use it as a network streamer with Volumio as an OS.

Any suggestions as what all components here I can purchase to build something like this ?

Rpi4 4GB version will be more than enough for you, even 2GB version should also work. But if you have tonnes of music in your HDD, library management will be better with a 4GB version, so recommended 4GB.
Since you are using with external DACs, power supply for rpi can be stock 5v wall charger, and a case of your liking. 16gb or even 4gb SD card will be enough to hold your OS like Volumio or Moode or whatever music OS.

So Prem..so u r suggesting is all that I need just a RPI with a case and I can connect it to --

1. HDMI
2. Ethernet
3. USB drive or Hard Disk
4. External DAC

I am doing exact same with a Raspberry Pi 2 Model B and Raspberry Pi DAC+ powered by rpi 4 official power supply.
Above is running volumio and connected via Wi-Fi.
Music source is NAS running on another pi.

Hi,

I want to use a Raspberry Pi Connected to an external dac via USB and play Hi -Res DSD files stored in my Hard disk or USB drive through the other USB of the Raspberry Pi.

Along with this I should be also be also use it as a network streamer with Volumio as an OS.

Any suggestions as what all components here I can purchase to build something like this ?
I've used rpi3,rpi4 2 and 4gb versions for each. Even used pi zero w. They're all more than capable for the lightweight OS' used for RPI. I use the exact same setup as you. While the RPI won't be the bottleneck, for large libraries, the HDD might act as a bottleneck. Highly recommended you to use SSD if you can. Of course it's a balancing act as high capacity SSD is very expensive. If you have say multiple terabytes of music in HDD, sometimes you'll get micro stutters.

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back