Suggestions for upgrades for RPI

jmascreen

HI,

Currently I am using RPI 3B+ with mobile charger PS, USB out via Schiit Pyst cable to Schiit multibit 2. The reason for upgrade is there is lots of noise in high frequency region and also lack of instrument separation. The suggestions I have got are has following

1) Allo Digione Signature with Allo Shanti LPS
2) Allo USBBridge with Allo Shanti LPS
3) Allo Shanti LPS with Allo Revolution DAC/Topping E30 DAC

I am thinking of future wherein DSD etc would come in picture.

Considering all these factors what could be the best solution to overcome the bottle neck

However hard you try, the RPi, by itself is not good for audio.

Many of us have tried the simple combination of RPi 3B+/4 with Allo Boss. The results are mostly extremely good. You can feed the preamp or integrated amp directly from the Allo Boss. There is no noise, and separation is fantastic.

If you want to improve even further, add an Allo Isolator. You will be surprised by the results.

The suggestions you have been offered are all very good, but relatively expensive. An Allo Boss with Isolator should cost you less than 10K with the power supplies offered. If you like this first step, you can then look at the suggestions offered as further climb in your audio journey.

Last edited:
However hard you try, the RPi, by itself is not good for audio.

Many of us have tried the simple combination of RPi 3B+/4 with Allo Boss. The results are mostly extremely good. You can feed the preamp or integrated amp directly from the Allo Boss. There is no noise, and separation is fantastic.

If you want to improve even further, add an Allo Isolator. You will be surprised by the results.

The suggestions you have been offered are all very good, but relatively expensive. An Allo Boss with Isolator should cost you less than 10K with the power supplies offered. If you like this first step, you can then look at the suggestions offered as further climb in your audio journey.
Venkat,

What OS or player do you recommend for a 3B+? I have one lying around, tried Volumio but somehow I don't like it. Is there a dedicated lightweight Linux distro or something else suited for this purpose? Any experience with Kodi on 3b+? I hate to turn on full fledged desktop computer just to listen to music...

There are a two ways of playing music with the RPi.

1. Install a Linux distro and use something like Mopidy that can play music from files radio streams.
2. Install a music OS such as Volumio, Roon (RPIMusicPlayer). These are designed to have a small OS and just play music. Nothing else.

I did not go the 1st way as it involves learning some amount of Linux coding.

Of the 2nd category, I tried a few and settled with Volumio.

Reasons:

1. Runs without issues.
2. Indexes up to 1TB of files quickly.
3. The owner listens to suggestions and delivers updates quite regularly.

At the end of the day, the quality of music is the same amongst all these players/OS. You should choose the one you are familiar with.

Cheers

HI,

Currently I am using RPI 3B+ with mobile charger PS, USB out via Schiit Pyst cable to Schiit multibit 2. The reason for upgrade is there is lots of noise in high frequency region and also lack of instrument separation. The suggestions I have got are has following

1) Allo Digione Signature with Allo Shanti LPS
2) Allo USBBridge with Allo Shanti LPS
3) Allo Shanti LPS with Allo Revolution DAC/Topping E30 DAC

I am thinking of future wherein DSD etc would come in picture.

Considering all these factors what could be the best solution to overcome the bottle neck

Hi,
I use a similar set up to yours - RPI + Schit Multibit. You didn't mention which player are you using on the RPI, i would recommend you try all the options.

I tried Volumio, Roon etc but finally settled with the linux version of J River, which I'm quite happy with.

Also check whether the output to the DAC is bit perfect (several articles on this can be found with a search).

Some of these tweaks may help improve the sound and prevent the extra expense !

I use moode, I found volumio lacks mid body. Please share some link if you have it handy

For quite some time I fooled around with Moode and Volumio. Could not find much difference in sound, excepting Moode, at times, seemed to play from behind a silk screen.

I strongly suspect the base driver is the same (Kodi?) and these guys have built different UI over that.

For me, Volumio seemed better. If you like Moode, I am sure that is a good option for you.

There are a number of discussions on HFV and other forums.

For my taste moode suits perfect however my pain area is noise in high frequency for which the solution i got is LPS. And for instrument separation will have to check after the noise issue is fixed.

Amp like F5T is very clean and a slightest of noise is easily noticable.

At the end of the day, the quality of music is the same amongst all these players/OS. You should choose the one you are familiar with.

Cheers
I use equalizer to correct the boominess and couldn't find anything that worked for Volumio, hence the question. Will check out Roon and Moode when I have some time.

Couple of weeks back got the Allo Shanti LPS, along with some cable rerouting and change of power cables to the one offered by Mr Murthy the noise issue has been sorted out. Now standing with the dac situation the options are Denafrips Ares 2 (long time to import not sure when it will resume) Topping D90 (reviews says its bit brighter at top end) IFI New iDSD (both available with headphone zone) and Soekaris.

I want to retain the sound signature of schiit and address all above mentioned points. Suggestions are welcome from users who are using above mentioned dac or any other which can be brought locally

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back