Suggestions on headphone for 25K

indialogue

I've got a budget of 25K to get a pair of as-good headphones as I can. These will be driven by a dedicated headphone amp, and will primarily be used for listening to a mix of music ranging from jazz, classical and prog rock. I'd really prefer options available in India, as I prefer to avoid going through the uncertainty and rigmarole of importing it, given USD:INR and customs.

Some options I have are:
  • PSB M4U1: Really really liked these when I auditioned them at Lakozy. 17K. Even the more expensive NC option is attractive at 26K - will be usable for airline travel too - all the other options are home-use only
  • Senn HD650 - cannot locate them in Delhi anywhere! Think they're available for 25K
  • Sony MDR-1: no idea if audition can be available sadly. 18-19K
  • HiFiMan RE400: not available locally but very intrigued by electrostatics at this price point

I'd ideally like to audition all of these before deciding but guess thats not going to be an option in India. In place of that, would love to get your views on these issues and reviews if possible. Thanks!!

Ebay.in has the HD650s for around Rs 26k and change, IIRC. They dont get a lot of love on places like head-fi b/c they dont have that prominent sound that grabs your attention initially, but they are the kind of cans you grow into.

If you want to sit and listen to music for a long time, nothing beats them. I recently got a pair of Audeze LCD-2s a few days, which absolutely rock my world when it comes to critical listening, but for longer-duration casual listening, I still prefer the 650s.

I didnt really like the HE-400s that much - initially, they impress but in the long-term. they are a little too bright and fatiguing to listen to.

You might want to read through my earlier post on headphones in that budget range.
http://www.hifivision.com/portable-...s/36594-hi-fi-headphones-quiet-listening.html

I haven't heard of the headphones you've listed (except for HD650, which I own), but I'd second vkalia's suggestion. I've read through a lot of reviews online ... Sennheiser HD650 consistently ranks top among the headphones; these are reference class phones with slight bias towards the warmer side. I think they are great for most of the genres and their open-back design will work well for Jazz and Classical music.

You can try reach out to any FMs in Delhi area who might have these headphones. I agree with you that it's best to get the headphones that is accessible and most importantly, something that you've personally auditioned. Speakers and headphones are highly subjective to personal tastes, and I wouldn't rely solely on reviews.

HD650 is available for some retailers for a discount; however, you need to be aware of the fact that Sennheiser will not honour the warranty.

Last edited:
^^ Good point re warranty. I paid extra and got mine from Flipkart and a few weeks later, I got an email from Sennheiser India letting me know I had an extended warranty as well. Cool!

Ebay.in has the HD650s for around Rs 26k and change, IIRC. They dont get a lot of love on places like head-fi b/c they dont have that prominent sound that grabs your attention initially, but they are the kind of cans you grow into.

If you want to sit and listen to music for a long time, nothing beats them. I recently got a pair of Audeze LCD-2s a few days, which absolutely rock my world when it comes to critical listening, but for longer-duration casual listening, I still prefer the 650s.

I didnt really like the HE-400s that much - initially, they impress but in the long-term. they are a little too bright and fatiguing to listen to.
Thanks for your perspective. Also, interesting to hear about the LCD-2s, they've been on my grail list for a while (plus trivia point that they are designed by an Indian!)

You might want to read through my earlier post on headphones in that budget range.
http://www.hifivision.com/portable-...s/36594-hi-fi-headphones-quiet-listening.html

I haven't heard of the headphones you've listed (except for HD650, which I own), but I'd second vkalia's suggestion. I've read through a lot of reviews online ... Sennheiser HD650 consistently ranks top among the headphones; these are reference class phones with slight bias towards the warmer side. I think they are great for most of the genres and their open-back design will work well for Jazz and Classical music.

You can try reach out to any FMs in Delhi area who might have these headphones. I agree with you that it's best to get the headphones that is accessible and most importantly, something that you've personally auditioned. Speakers and headphones are highly subjective to personal tastes, and I wouldn't rely solely on reviews.

HD650 is available for some retailers for a discount; however, you need to be aware of the fact that Sennheiser will not honour the warranty.
So you went for the HD650? Your thread mentions the 598 as well. How has your experience been with either? You're right about the warranty, there are some good deals online but dont want to get into trouble to save a couple of hundred bucks!!

+1 for the HD650. I find myself reaching for these very frequently. Ain't letting mine go any sooner.

So you went for the HD650? Your thread mentions the 598 as well. How has your experience been with either? You're right about the warranty, there are some good deals online but dont want to get into trouble to save a couple of hundred bucks!!

Yes, I've also compared it with 598. I've found HD650 to be better ... the 598 to me was thin, less powerful and engaging. I thought if I'm going to pay a premium, I'd rather get the best one. Luckily, a FM sold an used one for 18K.

Also, you've got to know that HD650 will require a decent amp. This will further hit your budget through the roof. I mean, a good one will cost 10-15K. (there is another thread about amps for HD650 in the forum)

If your budget is strictly under 25K, you might want to look at other headphones, probably a low impedance ones that don't require an amplifier. Or you can wait for someone to sell a decent headphone.

Yes, I've also compared it with 598. I've found HD650 to be better ... the 598 to me was thin, less powerful and engaging. I thought if I'm going to pay a premium, I'd rather get the best one. Luckily, a FM sold an used one for 18K.

Also, you've got to know that HD650 will require a decent amp. This will further hit your budget through the roof. I mean, a good one will cost 10-15K. (there is another thread about amps for HD650 in the forum)

If your budget is strictly under 25K, you might want to look at other headphones, probably a low impedance ones that don't require an amplifier. Or you can wait for someone to sell a decent headphone.
I have a suitable amplifier for headphone use already (also doubling up as a preamp) - the Bravo Ocean tube amp. So my 25K budget is free of that. Getting a well-used pre-owned one would be ideal, just in the 0.1% chance that the HD650 sound doesnt agree with me, but I dont want to wait too long too. Unless you're selling :lol:

I have a suitable amplifier for headphone use already (also doubling up as a preamp) - the Bravo Ocean tube amp. So my 25K budget is free of that. Getting a well-used pre-owned one would be ideal, just in the 0.1% chance that the HD650 sound doesnt agree with me, but I dont want to wait too long too. Unless you're selling :lol:

Right, getting hold off an used one would be quite hard. Probably you will have to accommodate for the extra budget and get a new one. It is hard to go wrong there. You can audition from some FMs. Also do consider Beyerdynamics DT series and Audio Technica M50 They are also good enough and cut down costs

Bravo audio does fine with hd 650. More than fine. Get a bravo ocean or little bear for within 6k or so shipped.

Then get a asus xonar dgx as a dac or better still Odac or modi as a dac.

Send the rest in your headphone. So probably hd 598.

Bravo audio does fine with hd 650. More than fine. Get a bravo ocean or little bear for within 6k or so shipped.

Then get a asus xonar dgx as a dac or better still Odac or modi as a dac.

Send the rest in your headphone. So probably hd 598.

+1 I am using the Bravo Ocean with the Senn HD600 and feel no lack of power or authority.

I've got a budget of 25K to get a pair of as-good headphones as I can. These will be driven by a dedicated headphone amp, and will primarily be used for listening to a mix of music ranging from jazz, classical and prog rock. I'd really prefer options available in India, as I prefer to avoid going through the uncertainty and rigmarole of importing it, given USD:INR and customs.

Some options I have are:
  • PSB M4U1: Really really liked these when I auditioned them at Lakozy. 17K. Even the more expensive NC option is attractive at 26K - will be usable for airline travel too - all the other options are home-use only
  • Senn HD650 - cannot locate them in Delhi anywhere! Think they're available for 25K
  • Sony MDR-1: no idea if audition can be available sadly. 18-19K
  • HiFiMan RE400: not available locally but very intrigued by electrostatics at this price point

I'd ideally like to audition all of these before deciding but guess thats not going to be an option in India. In place of that, would love to get your views on these issues and reviews if possible. Thanks!!

Yup you can't go wrong with the 650s I use them with a SS which improves the bass extension of the already well extended 650s , had a chance of plugging them into a wa2 and a Linear cube when I was auditioning my Uncle's he60 last year , obviously not for the he60's but with his 650s and t1's fantastic pairing with the wa2 ..... I love the trebs :)
I recently got the he300s as well for better extension up top and boy they are amazing , prefer them over the 880's (Metallic) and the ma900s :D
I got my 650s for 25k from smartshoppers :D

Yup you can't go wrong with the 650s I use them with a SS which improves the bass extension of the already well extended 650s , had a chance of plugging them into a wa2 and a Linear cube when I was auditioning my Uncle's he60 last year , obviously not for the he60's but with his 650s and t1's fantastic pairing with the wa2 ..... I love the trebs :)
Wow, I cant believe I missed the post. Your uncle has a Baby Orpheus? How does it sound? Would love to hear more about it - any chance you can get your uncle to pen a review?

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back