Suggestions Welcome - Planning to get a new cartridge for my Vintage Denon TT

kartick

Hi guys,

Need your suggestions to help me decide the upgrade for my existing cartridge. I recently bought a Denon DP-37f which came along with an Audio Technica cartridge. I'm guessing it is the AT-91. The turntable has a dynamic servo tracer tonearm. Not sure though. Anyways, the cartridge picks up a lot of crackles and static. The sound signature is pretty average. I find the bass to be a tad extra when it pairs with my amps. I have a vintage JVC JA-S31 and a Rotel RA-312.

I would like to upgrade the cartridge now. I would like to keep the damage under $100. The obvious contenders that I have shortlisted are the AT120 E/T and the Shure M97xE. For Shure, I have read a lot of posts talking about its quality issues. AT on the other hand has gathered quite decent reviews. I would like to ask people who have used both AT-91 and AT-120. How is the sound signature different between these two.

Please advise. Let me know if there are any other worthy contenders within this budget.

Go for M97xe its unbeatable for its price($54).AT120E is also good but little bright as reviews suggest. Excessive surface noise can be caused by your phono stage,an outboard phonostage of good quality should help.

Regards,
Sachin

Hi
Have just rcvd an AT-91ECD cartridge for US.29.99
still have to try it out on my JVC Turntable

Thanks Sachin for a prompt reply. I have been scared to order the M97xE due to so many posts talking about the QC of that cartridge. Mr. Murali, our fellow forum member has also written about how he had to go through the trouble coz of the quality of the cartridge.
Could you tell me how the Shure sounds like ?

@WLG - Let me know how you find the sound signature of the AT-91. Which JVC tt do you own ?

Hi kartick,

First of all congrats on your purchase of Denon TT. It seems to be well built. Vintage turntables are any day better sounding than the New entry level ones. Now coming to cartridges, your TT should be able to take all Half-inch mounts without any problem. For beginning you can try Audio-Technica AT-91 or AT-95, and if you want to go up the ladder, there are Shure M97xE, Ortofon OM series or Grado Prestige series Audio-Technica 110/120 series , 440ML etc.

Regarding the Shure m97xE cart I bought from Amazon, I had a bad experience in the first purchase, that the cart died prematurely( no output in one channel) within a year even with very less usage. So I had taken the risk and ordered another one from Amazon, recently. My experience so far has been good with it.

As for the sound of this shure cartridge, it is very detailed, picks up nuances n the music due to its stylus size of .2x.7 mil, bass is very tight mids are very clear, the treble is slightly rolled off and they will not pierce your ears and ideal for fatigue free listening for hours together. the Shure tracks without skipping even at 1.25 grams weight.

The AT-91 and AT-95 are VFM Cartridges for the price you pay they are bang for the buck, their treble is very good with slight recess in the mid and bass regions( of course compared with shure). Also they track at a weight of 2-3 grams(refer their specs). They pick up surface noise if the LPs are not maintained well, i.e with if there is some dust on them.

I have also received a Grado Prestige series Blue Stylus from Amazon.com, for the Grado Cartridge being offered to me by Mr.Rajiv. Hopefully by next week, after receiving the cartridge and some few hours of playing, I intend to give a detailed write-up as a thread about these three brands.

In case if you need AT-91 pl PM me your cell no, for I have a Audio-Technica AT-91 cartridge plus one spare stylus(both in sealed condition) which I dont use and am planning to put up for sale shortly.

Hope this helps.

N.Murali

Hi Murali. Thanks for your reply. As I had written in my first post of this thread, my TT is currently mounted with the AT-91. I would now like to move up the ladder a bit and am seeking a cartridge which is detailed in its sound reproduction and fits under 100$. Kindly let me know what would be a wise choice between picking up an AT 120 or the Shure m97?

Also as I have very recently entered into the world of vinyl, I would like to know if there is any special skill that I would have to learn in order to install either of these cartridges (AT 120/Shure M97) ? I have read about getting a print of the protractor diagrams and doing stuff, but I would not like to risk putting a new cartridge all by myself. Is there anyone in Delhi/NCR from whom I can take any help in learning this process.

If you're willing to spend a little more, around $150, I highly recommend the Denon DL-110 High Output MC cart. It's high output so you can use it with your MM phono stage too. It's really a fantastic cart. Up til then, I was happy with my Ortofon 2M red, but after getting this I cannot even listen to the 2M red. You can read up on this cart, it is one of the best budget MC carts around. The sound is really rich, and the needle is so thin it gets into the groove and reduces surface noise. Plus since your table is Denon anyways, it will probably be a match made in heaven!

If you're willing to spend a little more, around $150, I highly recommend the Denon DL-110 High Output MC cart. It's high output so you can use it with your MM phono stage too. It's really a fantastic cart. Up til then, I was happy with my Ortofon 2M red, but after getting this I cannot even listen to the 2M red. You can read up on this cart, it is one of the best budget MC carts around. The sound is really rich, and the needle is so thin it gets into the groove and reduces surface noise. Plus since your table is Denon anyways, it will probably be a match made in heaven!

+1,Denon DL-110 and Dl-103 both are excellent carts.A good quality outboard phono stage also plays an important role in vinyl playback.

Regards,
Sachin

I read about the DL-110 and it seems really impressive. Plus the fact that it would pair with a Denon TT makes a very strong point. But my only concern is the USD exchange rates sky rocketing by the day. Going by the current rates, DL-110 costing USD 139, it is costing around Rs. 7220 without shipping. I think that's steep. I would wanna wait till the dollar becomes a lil cheap.

I've read all the posts regarding your search for a replacement cart for your Denon TT. I have the same Denon TT and need to purchase a new cartridges well. I'm looking at the AT120 E/T, the Shure M97xE and Denon's DL 110.

Perhaps I missed it, but i was wondering which cart you purchased and what has been your experience. Are you happy with the sound, etc... I know the Denon is in a separate class and cost more but i'm not sure it's worth the extra $$$..

I'm very curious to hear what you have to say...thanks

Mr Kartick,
I've read all the posts regarding your search for a replacement cart for your Denon TT. I have the same Denon TT and need to purchase a new cartridge. I'm looking at the AT120 E/T, the Shure M97xE and Denon's DL 110.

Perhaps I missed it, but i was wondering which cart you purchased and what has been your experience. Are you happy with the sound, etc... I know the Denon is in a separate class and cost more but i'm not sure it's worth the extra $$$..

I'm very curious to hear what you have to say about your purchase or from anyone else who offering advice. My budget is up to USD150. thanks all...

Hi,
It's been around 10 days or so since I received my Denon DL-110 HOMC. I would post detailed impressions later but all I can tell you is that this cartridge is an eye opener and you should go for it without the slightest of doubt.

It is sheer brilliance for the price. You'll be transported to another world after you use it and also it is very easy to setup.

Go for it !!

Cheers
Kartick

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back