Suitable speakers for Norge 2030 amplifier

AV Enthusiast

Dear All,
I own a Norge 2030 amplifier which I have owned for a while now. The amp is connected with a pair of Sonodyne Black Piper speakers ( 50 watt 8 ohm) . I find that the sound is slightly muffled with too much bass. Much obliged if anyone can pinpoint the problem. Also I would like to know what speakers would be ideal for this amp, as I plan to connect it to a Phillips 242 turntable...

@AV Enthusiast At a glance, the 2030 amp provides 20 watts per channel, which IMHO not enough to drive the speakers mentioned with enough control. Also the speakers seem to be very old which might be another cause that includes foam rot or cabinet structure getting weak. Few pictures of your setup would be beneficial. Most of the times if pairing is right ,the sound quality can be boomy because of the room itself and speaker placement. Again, pictures could be helpful to pin point the issue.

Thanks for your reply. The speakers are indeed old but in immaculate condition. I now feel after reading your answer that the amp is underpowered to drive the speakers. As regards pics.. I will post soon as I have packed it up and it's in storage. Like I said.. I wish to revive the same and connect one of the two TT' s I own.. AF834 and 242. I presently listen to a Yamaha rn303 digital receiver paired with Yamaha NS8390 floor standers connected with a old IBM laptop and a Sony Dvd player as sources.

Perhaps you can connect the Yamaha to the Sonodyne speakers and see if they still sound boomy.

I did try that but here the amp is 80 watt and so it seemed too powerful for the speakers as the speakers are rated at 50 watt max @ 8 ohms. Anyway looking to upgrade the speakers to match the amp and take it forward to play my vinyls soon... Can't wait to do that...!

I wouldn't worry about the amp being too powerful. IMHO the more power the better.Loads of headroom. As long as the speakers don't distort at high volumes, they are usually fine.
Anyways, New speakers. Need info like budget, pairing amp, if Norge you may need some efficient speakers. Does your TT have phono built-in?

Good Morning..! I would not like to use the Yamaha with the Sonodyne 's as I am happy with the digital system - Receiver , Speakers, Digital Source etc, to play my digital music library. My budget for speakers is around 15 K, to go with my Norge 2030. I guess I would need to also invest in a phono pre amp., as my TT's don't have one inbuilt and the Norge doesn't have a phono in...Would you please suggest one within a modest budget. Norge also make one as per their website..

Although i have never heard the Norge speakers, I am sure they will be great for an all analog system given the budget, and should be able to pair with the amplifier also. There are other brands like Boston acoustics, TAGA harmony, but might need some more juice on the amp end to get them to sing.
How is the scene in Guwahati for auditioning various speakers?

Hi there.. Thanks for your inputs. Unfortunately there are only two shops selling hi-fi equipment. , and they deal in mostly Japanese brands. The focus is more on AV Receivers and HT's. Serious Stereo buyers have to look elsewhere around the country. I bought my Yamaha Equipment all the way from Mumbai. Like I said earlier no provision for demos and these guys who run the shops are quite ill informed. I have contacted Norge by email today requesting details of the models I'm interested in.. Looking forward to hearing from them.

Just hooked up my af242 TT to the Yamaha receiver as on looking closely it did have phono inputs.. I must say I was blown away...!IMG_20180918_201412.JPG Pic attached..

A fellow FM (mjo) recently bought Dali floor standers for his Norge amp (I think it is 2030). You may want to PM him and get his feedback on synergy. He too has a TT set up alongside, FYI.

@mjo
Dear mjo. Came to know from fellow member @milestoneseeker, that you have a set of Dali speakers connected to a Norge 2030 amplifier. Could you please let me have some feedback regarding the performance of the same as I am in the market for buying a set of speakers for a 2030 amplifier that I already own. Your comments and suggestions would be much welcome.

@mjo
Dear mjo. Came to know from fellow member @milestoneseeker, that you have a set of Dali speakers connected to a Norge 2030 amplifier. Could you please let me have some feedback regarding the performance of the same as I am in the market for buying a set of speakers for a 2030 amplifier that I already own. Your comments and suggestions would be much welcome.
Hi There,
I have connected Dali Zensor 5 with Norge 1000.
2030 might not be powerful enough to drive floorstanders, they could drive Zensor 3.

Thanks for your reply. In the meantime I am seriously considering a pair of Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakers that are within my budget. I plan to use the amp and speakers with a turntable setup as a standalone system to listen to my vinyls. Best Regards.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back