Super Tweeters??

BLASTO

Hi,
Does anyone have super tweeters in your setup? These are supposed to extend the frequency range from 20KHz to upto 100KHz. :eek:

I mean, What is the use of having a super tweeter? We are anyways deaf to any sound above 20KHz.. :annoyed:

Do the music CDs even come with sound information used by these super tweeters? :confused:

I am planning to eleminate these as hogwash if nobody gives me information otherwise..

Has anybody come accross speakers with super tweeters? Auditioned tham? Does it make any difference?

Thanks,

Mark of Audiocraft makes a speaker pair in which he has such tweeters. He has modified some tweeters to work at 44KHz.

Though a Redbook CD can have frequencies upto 22.05Khz, the format is a two-channel 16-bit PCM encoded at a 44.1 kHz sampling rate per channel. Modern formats such as SACD and DVD-Audio have higher sampling rates.

As you say you cannot hear beyond 20Khz. Many audiophiles are happy when they see equipment with certain specifications, as they feel they are not missing anything then. Below 20Hz, and above 20KHz, I suppose everything boils down to personal choices that make you feel comfortable and happy.

Cheers

I am thinking it may be important to have speakers that can extend the frequency beyond the listening ability for dynamics esp with pure anaog setups like vinyl and also the new 24/192 DACs. Even if you cannot hear the upper harmonics generated the fact that a speaker can resonate the air at those harmonics may affect the overall representation of sound in the audible range.

Any thoughts?

Regards

I have heard that infra sonic sound, though you cannot hear them, makes you 'feel' the presence of something around.

Popular ghost siting areas are associated to have infra sonic sounds which makes people wary of the surroundings.

I have not known of any subtle effects of ultra sonics though.

Any ideas?

Even if you cannot hear the upper harmonics generated the fact that a speaker can resonate the air at those harmonics may affect the overall representation of sound in the audible range. Any thoughts? Regards

That is the logic used by many people. That though you may not hear the harmonics, you can feel them. It is the same that happens at lower frequencies. Sub manufacturers today make subs that can go down to 10Hz. Some people like the thump in the chest, and some find it uncomfortable.

There are some frequencies that we humans cannot hear but creatures such as dogs and dolphins can. What value are these frequencies to us in music?

That is why I said these are individual tastes.

Cheers

Hi,
Does anyone have super tweeters in your setup? These are supposed to extend the frequency range from 20KHz to upto 100KHz. :eek:

I mean, What is the use of having a super tweeter? We are anyways deaf to any sound above 20KHz.. :annoyed:

Do the music CDs even come with sound information used by these super tweeters? :confused:

I haven't seen any though read about these speakers. Apparently they still impact our senses even if we dont hear the sound similar to LFE below 20Hz but atleast you feel that.

I am planning to eleminate these as hogwash if nobody gives me information otherwise..

Just because no info is provided here does not mean that there is none. Many reasons why you might not get info here. I think super tweeters and ceiling high speakers are for the esoteric in my view.

I would not even know how anyone would tune these except through instrumentation but that is black magic nevertheless atleast to my senses.

apparently , our ear drums cannot feel above 18khz (15 khz if you have crossed 30 in age) but we can feel the frequency... and that gives a feeling of "air" in music. thats why many high end speakers have super tweeters.

furthermore it is not easy for most tweeters to reproduce both the 2-6 khz range as well as the 10khz+ range equally an many tweeters do roll of 15Hz with a +-1db tolerance altough may look ok with 3db tolerances.(we are talking of golden ears+ high end here..

Most of us with mid fi systems might not really care) breaking this up into a tweeter + supertweeter can improve the response.. but as many have already said you need both the music content (SACDs etc) as well as highly resolving systems to hear it.

Well, unlike electromagnetic waves which can travel through vacuum, sound waves are mechanical waves that can exist only in a material medium. Points in the material medium (in our case air particles) do undulate in a periodic and phased fashion to take part in the sound wave. So whether we hear frequencies above a certain critical frequency or not, the sound wave containing frequencies above that critical value are hitting us any way through the air particles which we may be able to 'physically' feel. This is possible, however, since I have no idea of the biology of pressure sensitivity of our body, I cannot say anything further.

The above is one aspect.

The other aspect is quite technical and I do not want to get into it. It is conceivable in 'many-body' theories (also known as field theories) that sometimes things may conspire to create a physical effect of the frequencies that are beyond the cut-off. My ideas are not completely clear in this particular example (of a sound with freq components above the human ear threshold) and I cannot think of an example to explain it any further.

cranky, did you mean that cdps , while reproducing music from cds could also be creating artifacts at much higher frequencies which add to the "air " ?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back