Surround speaker Recommendations

manujgupta

Hi All,

Kindly suggest me with the surround speakers/bookshelf to go with Kef Q950. I am running these through Marantz SR 7013.
The dealer recommended Kef Q50a. But technically they are Atmos enabled speakers from Kef. Kindly let me know any other option that would be a good fit.

Thanks
Manuj

Hi All,

Kindly suggest me with the surround speakers/bookshelf to go with Kef Q950. I am running these through Marantz SR 7013.
The dealer recommended Kef Q50a. But technically they are Atmos enabled speakers from Kef. Kindly let me know any other option that would be a good fit.

Thanks
Manuj
Kef q150. Should be enough for the intended surround application and perfect timbre matching. If the step upto q350 isn’t much, go for it.

I need them to be hung on the wall. Both Q150 and Q350 cannot be hanged
Perhaps use something like this?

If you're not very particular about timber matching, then the following is a very good option.

But then, wouldnt going for the KEF Q50A be the same thing?

I am not sure if the KEF Q50A can be hanged. Alteco is versatile in terms of assembly.
It can be. In fact, most atmos speakers come with key hole fixings for wall mount. I believe the dealer would have recommended it for the very same reason.

1599965649173.png
You can consider SVS sound prime elevation, very versatile, can be used for surround and atmos also..

SVS Sound Prime Elevation
KEF Q50a would give better timbre matching.

Perhaps use something like this?

Q150 and Q350 should ideally be atleast a feet away from the wall.

Q150 and Q350 should ideally be atleast a feet away from the wall.
That may not necessarily be true for all use case scenarios. What is ideal depends upon the room. I have my Q350s positioned 2 inches from my back wall which gives me the optimal perfomance for my stereo in the bedroom. Mind you, this is when all information is being sent to the two channels which are also tasked with producing the deepest bass notes, something that is not necessarily true for surround channels in a 5.1 channel soundtrack. When used for surround applications, lowest frequency notes are seldom sent to the side/back LR channels to produce any adverse effects. Add Auto EQ of your AVR to the mix and i see absolutely no reason why this should not work.

Worst case scenario, you can set the individual crossovers for the side channels to cut off at upto 120hz. :)

Plus, the Q150 and Q350 come with foam bunges just in case.

Pics posted below for reference:

1599976909562.png

Same goes for the surrounds in my main system as well:

1599978479748.png

Last edited:
I need them to be hung on the wall. Both Q150 and Q350 cannot be hanged

I'm personally using the NHT SuperZero 2.1's as surrounds driven by SR 7013. I'm listening from 6 ft from them.. They do a good job. My current front stage is filled with the Paradigm Monitor 9 V7 and Monitor Center 3 V7.

NHT's are super affordable and if the listening position is close, they are very good I'd say.. They are wall mountable... They are sealed type too. (No bass Reflex Ports at the back). So, no issues on mounting close to the walls. Even it has stands (separately purchased) than can be used to hang from ceilings and are priced right.

If the Mlp listening distance is not more than 6 ft, they integrate well with warm to slightly bright sounding speakers at descent levels.

I hope it helps.

Attachments

• 15999787251840.jpg
    15999787251840.jpg
    134.2 KB · Views: 35
Do keep in mind they don't play under 100 Hz. As you would be owning a sub, that shouldn't be a problem. I'd say these have a fantastic mid range and these speakers are wide dispersion too.

Thanks all for all the reverts. I thought about sticking to timbre matching and took the demo of Q50a's with my setup. They sounded very good, hence finalized them only.

Thanks again
Manuj

@manujgupta can you please share the installation pics of the Q50a as surrounds? I'm planning to use these as surrounds and would like some feedback from you. Thanks.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back