Switching from soundbar to av receiver

balagamer

Hi all,

I'm a happy user of Samsung Q90R soundbar 7.1.4 (have used LG sl10y too befire) very much impressed with the sound with the Samsung.

Planning to upgrade the above setup to a dedicated av receiver setup as I want a better atmos effect . Yamaha Rx v585 , elac home cinema 5 or Polk tl 1600 is what I have in mind.

Now the questions,
since am already satisfied with the soundbar quality ,would I be able to notice a difference in sound quality (for better ) compared to sound bar ?
Is there any suggestions other than the above mentioned speaker packages ?

I know the same question is asked a million times , excuse me for asking again ,though I'm following up with the speaker and amp products for years I didn't went with av receiver because of space constraints, now willing to take the bullet. Please assist :)

On behalf of all the FM's, Let me ask you the million dollar follow-up question :p - Whats your budget & listening space dimensions?

On behalf of all the FM's, Let me ask you the million dollar follow-up question :p - Whats your budget & listening space dimensions?
Lol , budget upto 1 lakh excluding atmos. Listening space is a rectangular hall ,in which one half is for the TV side ,approx 130 sq ft. Usage is Predominantly HDR, Dolby vision movies and a good local collection of br rips

Hi all,

I'm a happy user of Samsung Q90R soundbar 7.1.4 (have used LG sl10y too befire) very much impressed with the sound with the Samsung.

Planning to upgrade the above setup to a dedicated av receiver setup as I want a better atmos effect . Yamaha Rx v585 , elac home cinema 5 or Polk tl 1600 is what I have in mind.

Now the questions,
since am already satisfied with the soundbar quality ,would I be able to notice a difference in sound quality (for better ) compared to sound bar ?

I know the same question is asked a million times , excuse me for asking again ,though I'm following up with the speaker and amp products for years I didn't went with av receiver because of space constraints, now willing to take the bullet. Please assist :)

I did move from Polk magnifi mini soundbar to floor standing speakers and a sub. Nothing can beat the dedicate speaker experience. it's just 2.1 system for now and still it's better than the soundbar (which I liked a lot) and also it cost me 5 times the soundbar

You have to invest on a good system if your going for a home theatre. Cheap package home theatre is not a way to go for. Take your time and buy in parts if you don't have budget to buy it all at once.

Hi all,

Now the questions,

I was using JBL 3.1 soundbar before moving to a 5.1 set-up. In my opinion, the sound stage created by a dedicated 5.1/ATMOS set-up is way more realistic than a Soundbar. I am using Polk TL 1600 paired with Yamaha HTR2071, and quite satisfied with the performance. In short, Yes, you will notice a significant difference in the sound stage created by dedicated a 5.1/ATMOS set-up, especially with ATMOS.

I did move from Polk magnifi mini soundbar to floor standing speakers and a sub. Nothing can beat the dedicate speaker experience. it's just 2.1 system for now and still it's better than the soundbar (which I liked a lot) and also it cost me 5 times the soundbar

You have to invest on a good system if your going for a home theatre. Cheap package home theatre is not a way to go for. Take your time and buy in parts if you don't have budget to buy it all at once.
I'm sure lot of our positive experience is also because of 5x-100x money we spent on expensive gadgets :p :p

No soundbar can match the rumble produced by a subwoofer though:p For rest all may be all you need is a very good quality headphones.

On a serious note dedicated HT setup is almost guaranteed to be a step-up from soundbar.

Lol , budget upto 1 lakh excluding atmos. Listening space is a rectangular hall ,in which one half is for the TV side ,approx 130 sq ft. Usage is Predominantly HDR, Dolby vision movies and a good local collection of br rips

Please find link to another thread, in which I shared my views just few days back on similar lines. It's focused towards 5.1 satellite speaker packages + AVR within 1 lakh budget. hope it helps :cool:

What is your setup! AVR - LR and subwoofer?!

What is your setup! AVR - LR and subwoofer?!
Denon AVR 2600H
Front- Polk RTi a7s
Sub- Bic America Pl 200 II
Future plans as budget permits
Center- Polk Csi a4/ a6
Rear surround- Polk RTi A3
Atmos (ceiling)- Polk Rc 60i

Ended up with buying the following things

Denon AVR-X2600H
BIC America DV-62Si for front
Elac Cinema 5

Planning to use the 2 additional satellites from elac cinema as atmos speakers

C

Denon AVR-X2600H
Elac Cinema 5

Congrats !!! Please share the price and of course your experience once setup, will certainly help FM and ppl looking for similar setup.

Cheers,

C
Congrats !!! Please share the price and of course your experience once setup, will certainly help FM and ppl looking for similar setup.

Cheers,
Thanks for your other post. The experience is so far very good.. fully satisfied. Audyssey calibration made a very big difference.

Thanks for your other post. The experience is so far very good.. fully satisfied. Audyssey calibration made a very big difference.

Denon AVR-X2600H
Elac Cinema 5

Nice setup there, Congratulations!!

How is the performance as compared with the Q90R, is it distinguishable by a large extent in terms of clarity and depth?

And how are those Elacs as compared to TL1600s?

Nice setup there, Congratulations!!

How is the performance as compared with the Q90R, is it distinguishable by a large extent in terms of clarity and depth?

And how are those Elacs as compared to TL1600s?

Couldn't compare with tl1600 hands on ,only online reviews. But the elac 5 exceeded my expectations in terms of quality. May be I like it even more because I swapped the front 2 for a bookshelf and used the elac front left and right for Atmos

I recently moved to TL1600+x1600H, they are just made for each other.

Nice, Are they good for Music and movie, both or they shine in one specific area? How is the sub's depth performance?

I have planned for X1400H, but what is the exact difference between 1400 and 1600?

DX2 or the TL1600, i what i have decided need to take an audition first

Nice, Are they good for Music and movie, both or they shine in one specific area? How is the sub's depth performance?

I have planned for X1400H, but what is the exact difference between 1400 and 1600?

DX2 or the TL1600, I what I have decided need to take an audition first

Well, Denon always shines in Movies, but it doesn't imply that they are bad in Music. The speakers shine in both Movies and Music. Again you can't compare a $400 speakers with $1000 speakers. The Sub is really good, Denon Dynamic EQ takes the experience to a new level. At night it produces a low level of HUM, I believe it's common with most of the active Subs. X1600H supports eARC and Dolby Atmos Height Virtualization compared to X1400H. Rest, they are pretty identical.

Last edited:
Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back