System for a Photographer's Studio

A.K.

Hi Everyone,

My first post here though I did refer to the site a number of times.
I am a photographer based in Mumbai.

I thought it was high time I upgraded the music system in my studio.
It's a beautiful space and around 1000 square feet.

I guess I played it safe and bought all the stuff highly recommended by most of you guys.

I did some research and bought a Topping TP-20 amplifier, Cambridge audio S-30 speakers & HRT Music Streamer II Dac.

Maybe I expected too much but it's below expectation for me.

Next is What ??

Attachments

• AK Studio.jpg
    AK Studio.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 203
Welcome to Hifivision

Next will depend on your budget and music preference

Lovely work place you have got there

The photo is in fact very unlike a regular photo studio. I would have thought more about light grey or dark grey walls, non shiny floor, rails on the ceiling, booms on walls and plenty of rectangular empty space. That in fact matches very well the requirements for a listening room as well. Anyways........

Could you be more specific about what you think is lacking in your present system, your budget and what kind of improvement you are looking for - more bass required, details are missing, there is too much boom in the room....

Thanks guys ... It is a beautiful space.

No booms on walls / rails on ceiling :lol:
All the equipment comes out during a shoot not before.

What I realised it that the system of Topping / CA-30 is not designed for a large space. Maybe a small bedroom of 200 sq. ft.

The sound is well defined but the output is too low. I'm pushing it too much.
Maybe I was expecting too much of the tiny kit.

The sound does not fill the space.

Hi A.K.

If you want sound which can fill your whole 100 sq. ft office you will need a pretty powerful amp and speakers.
Also you will need to consider what kind of music do you listen to and at what volume
And as said earlier you need to set a budget

the speakers are rated at 100w, with 90db efficiency and they are probably fine. you need a more powerful amp. around 50-100 'pure' watts. try to get a home demo or try some friend's amp before you buy.

I think what A.K. wants that the whole office should be filled with sound

In that case a pro audio setup would work best (the kind of which is used in restaurants and pubs) with multiple speakers

In that case a pro audio setup would work best (the kind of which is used in restaurants and pubs) with multiple speakers

Got to be careful with pro-audio. Most pubs have excessive bass because audience want it that way. Restaurants typically have poor placed speakers because aesthetics has a higher priority than music. Unless you specify requirements clearly to a pro-guy, he's likely to offer a standard solution, which will essentially compromise audio.

I also agree that a pro-audio setup is the best solution as what is required is not a two speaker stereo setup with a sweet spot and a particular listening position here. A multiple speaker setup is the solution. If aesthetics is to be considered, can look into in ceiling or satellite speakers. Now the question is who all are there to do a quality setup within the budget.. Ill pass on to Mumbaikars :)

Nah guys ... I'm not the same A.K.

Getting back to the question at hand,
The setup will purely be for music not movies.

I have already spent around 25k for the current setup.

Topping TP-20 Amplifier - 4,000
Cambridge Audio S-30 Speakers - 8,000
HRT Music Streamer II Dac - 10,000
Interconnects - 4,000

Is there a way to salvage this expense or is it not usable at all ?

The current setup gives well defined sound.
The clarity is great but the bass is missing ... Totally.
I thinks it need a subwoofer.

Is there a way to connect a subwoofer to the system ?
If yes, then what do I need ?

A short story for the kind people commenting on this topic.

A long time ago, I had a demo for Bowers & Wilkins speakers, floorstanders 603 or something and its still etched in my memory.
I played Whitney Houston on a disc and I felt she was right there singing in front of me. Can't forget that.

Thats what I want. The speakers vanished and all I heard was Whitney.
She sang for me.

I have discovered a brand called Bastanis.
He makes these open baffle speakers.
Unbenanntes Dokument

I was quite intruiged by his firebird speakers.
What do you guys think ?

A confession - I'm not an audiophile and don't claim to be one.
I may not be differentiate between an Onkyo and a Denon in a blind test.
I may not be appreciate the finer nuances between 2 speakers.
But I sure as hell can tell good sound when hear some.;)

Attachments

• firebird.jpg
    firebird.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 86
Is there a way to salvage this expense or is it not usable at all ?

The current setup gives well defined sound.
The clarity is great but the bass is missing ... Totally.
I thinks it need a subwoofer.

Is there a way to connect a subwoofer to the system ?
If yes, then what do I need ?

You can insert a subwoofer on the path from amplifier to your bookshelf speakers. The subwoofer will have speaker level inputs and outputs. A good quality subwoofer will also suppress lower frequencies from going to the speakers. Lower frequencies will be handled by the subwoofer. 50W subwoofer should suffice for music.

When connecting a subwoofer - try to place it a little away from the walls and corners (This is for music only. For movies you may even want it closer to a wall or a corner). Try to raise the subwoofer level a little each time till it clearly stands out. Then reduce the level a bit so that it blends smoothly with the speakers. You may also want to move it if it's too prominent around the walls or corners.

thanks for the explanations askii2

any suggestions or recommendations for the powered sub ?

Hi
Please stick to wall mountable satellites and a sub. Forget all those fancy HiFi gear.

You need the space for work. A little compromise in SQ is ok.

--Gobble

Thanks Gobble but compromise is a bad bad word.

Satellite speakers were never on my shopping list.
The source is too focussed and you never get great sound, at least I haven't found any worth putting my money down so far.

Anyways, the story continues ....

I have moved the system to my bedroom hoping to get some mileage out of it.
I have started using it for music, movies and cable tv. Basicially any sound out is routed to the system.

1. Bought a Comtel 3 way audio/video input selector. It has 3 inputs and 1 output. The tv, macbook pro and ipad provide the 3 input sources. The output goes to the Topping Tp-20.
This is basically to avoid any fiddling with wires and cables since the amp has a single source input only and I didn't know any better :)

2. The bass was not satisfactory with the existing setup so I though of adding a subwoofer. The problem was, I had no clue how to add the sub since there was no subwoofer out in sight.

I went to Vector Systems in Hyderabad and asked them for a subwoofer that I could plug in to without too many hassles.
That gentleman tried to convinve me to buy myself an AV receiver since subwoofers are not meant for 2 channel stereo systems. In all these years he had never connected a subwoofer to a 2 channel amplifier. :eek:hyeah:

I heard some Wharfedale 9 and 10 series floor standanding speakers and fould them fatiguing like hell. It was so SHRILL I couldn't bear to hear it for more than a couple of minutes. They were terrible. Cheap sound.

The B&W 683 was alright and the 684 was average.

I realised I was no audiophile right there and then.
All I wanted was a means to an end.
I wanted great sound. I didn't care where it came from.

I appreciated that my setup was a sweet sounding one and I could listen to it for hours on end without it hearting my senses.
I left their demo room even more confused.

Next stop was Pro Fx at Somajiguda. I met Mr. Narayana Murthy out there.
He was a very helpful gentleman. I explained that I needed a subwoofer for a stereo setup. I did not own nor did I want a receiver.

I auditioned a Polk subwoofer and I was quoted 13,500 for it.
I'm not sure but I think it was a PSW 110.
It was a below average performer.

Next was a Focal Cub 2 Active subwoofer.
Nice. Bass was clean.

My choice was limited since these were the only two subwoofers he had on him which had line in and line out for speakers. Most other subwoofer needed an AV receiver to drive them.

I paid 19,000 for the Focal Cub 2.

What happens next ??? ... My review

I think its a fantastic addition to my system. It fills up the bass fabulously.
Its the missing link in the chain.
To check the effect of the sub simply switch it on or off to feel the difference.
The speakers continue to play on regardless whether the sub is on or not.

Note to all Topping owners ... I know the sub costs 4 times more than the amp but if you have already invested in the systems please add any powered sub of your choice.

Its transforms a good system into a great one.

Attachments

• Commtel.jpg
    Commtel.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 26
  • Focal - Cub2 _a.jpg
    Focal - Cub2 _a.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 26
  • Focal - Cub2 _b.jpg
    Focal - Cub2 _b.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 27
Back