System setup and evolution

Hi Arj,
congrats on getting a pair of very nice looking speakers. They are beautiful. What is the function of the golden plate with holes in it? I hope they have enhanced your vinyl experience to a new level.
Thanks.

Hi mahiruha,
That is the crossover adjustments on the speaker for room tuning. For increasing/ decreasing the treble roll of and energy.

Conrats!!! :clapping::clapping::clapping:

The Tannoys do have a royal aura and I don't mean just because of their names... :eek:hyeah:

What is the function of the golden plate with holes in it?
It gives a basic ability to tune treble response to the room, or, perhaps to ones' own ears. I must ask Dr Bass for a demo next time. He has the super-tweaters, of course, but they kick in at frequencies that my poor ears left behind some years back

Check the Tannoy site for some mouthwatering pics and further details, and also some great photos of the cabinets being hand-made by 350-year-old carpenters.

(OK, I'm exaggerating that last bit :))

(I think you might have to download the brochure)

It gives a basic ability to tune treble response to the room, or, perhaps to ones' own ears. I must ask Dr Bass for a demo next time. He has the super-tweaters, of course, but they kick in at frequencies that my poor ears left behind some years back

Check the Tannoy site for some mouthwatering pics and further details, and also some great photos of the cabinets being hand-made by 350-year-old carpenters.

(OK, I'm exaggerating that last bit :))

(I think you might have to download the brochure)

Even the user manual is so regal: http://www.tannoy.com/products/135/Kensington SE Manual.pdf

Want to put in a word of appreciation for the Tannoy Distributor -Sunny Chhibber and the Tannoy support staff for some outstanding support. The Jumper cables for these seemed to have got lost during transit. I had just asked a question on the Tannoy Support link and within 10 days i receive a package from Mr Chhibber with the same at no cost. All this despite my having bought it used and not from him.
I am obviously thrilled as I was using a separate jumper before. Sunny + Tannoy ..may your tribe increase :clapping:

Want to put in a word of appreciation for the Tannoy Distributor -Sunny Chhibber and the Tannoy support staff for some outstanding support. The Jumper cables for these seemed to have got lost during transit. I had just asked a question on the Tannoy Support link and within 10 days i receive a package from Mr Chhibber with the same at no cost. All this despite my having bought it used and not from him.
I am obviously thrilled as I was using a separate jumper before. Sunny + Tannoy ..may your tribe increase :clapping:

I too had purchased a Tannoy Ellipse 8 [I still use it in my office]
http://www.hifivision.com/my-audio-...llipse-8-esi-juli-computer-sound-card-10.html
My Speaker - Active had some issue with 1 of its amps - long time back & Sunny gave me 100 % support.
Fast & Accurate.
I was impressed;
Kudos to Tannoy India - Sunny Chibber !!
I was very happy to have dealt with him...
Unfortunately Sunny does not represent any products that take my fancy - else I would deal only with him...:clapping:

Arjun,

Let me first apologize to you for not writing in this thread earlier, although I was aware of the development in full, as you know. I have been preoccupied, first with a vocal classical concert at the best concert hall in Kolkata and then with the critical condition of a near and dear one in my family for the last few days. I have had very little sleep in the last few days.

I am very happy to note that you are very happy with your new speakers. These Lebens are wonderful amplifiers and their full capabilities are only exposed when paired with a pair of suitable speakers.

I feel so unfortunate to have missed listening to your speakers during my recent visit of Bangalore, as the speakers arrived later than anticipated. I must thank you and Sridhar publicly for driving me around in Bangalore so that I could hear a few wonderful systems at ARN and at Siva's place.

More later. Now enjoy and keep us updated.

Regards.

since it is a long weekend got working on some small changes/setup i have been thinking of for a long time.

I had built a separate arm pod..the success kuruvilajacob had got to me and since i had two blocks of wood lying around, glued/screwed and bluetack-ed them together and built the arm pod and put the tonearm on it
today fnally got around to setting it all up and since i could not get the VTA right had to put some wood footers below the TT and raise it.
playing well now !

also put in an Nagaoka MM cart instead of the usual Denon. somehow, while it pick up more surface noise and the music is less "Smooth", the immediacy of music and the magic in vocals is more...more rolled off top end and mass though.

1cex.jpg

i think next step should be to get a PTP5 toplate for this...

Best part of playing with the TT is it seems to have temporarily cured me too much of tweaking to the rest of the system ;) ..at least for now

Last edited:
My latest mod - to use a rubber band in place of the idler wheel spring. To be truthful, it wasn't intended as a mod - the L75 used to randomly stop playing. Then one fine day a couple of weeks ago, it decided to stop spinning the platter completely. The idler was engaged and spinning, though. I scratched and scratched my head, never realising the spring was too slack.

My latest mod - to use a rubber band in place of the idler wheel spring. To be truthful, it wasn't intended as a mod - the L75 used to randomly stop playing. Then one fine day a couple of weeks ago, it decided to stop spinning the platter completely. The idler was engaged and spinning, though. I scratched and scratched my head, never realising the spring was too slack.

Awesome, I plan to put in the weight/pulley tweak once every thing else works. I had to pull the spring and put it at the 3/4th mark and engage the idler with a tighter tension..else felt the platter was not getting enough drive.

BTW there is a spindle extender available on Lenco heaven .. and i dream of getting a acrylic platter to put Over the current platter with the same some day. something which looks like the Opposite of this
img_0261.jpg

Is that an L70 or L75? Looks great! What music do you listen to on that mostly?

I need to get around to replinthing my L70. I do need to find someone who is good with TT's to give it a full overhaul/service, replace bearings, grease the wheel, etc., as I think it needs some maintenance. It's over 50 years old! I'd love to find someone who can work on it for me, since I just dont have the time, or more importantly, the know how!

Hi,

and i dream of getting a acrylic platter to put Over the current platter with the same some day. something which looks like the Opposite of this

Arj, for starters you could try a glass platter mat on the Lenco. Santhosh,has one of my experimental glass mats that you can borrow and try out.

You can place the glass mat directly on the Lenco platter or decouple it from the platter using 3 or 4 thin rubber or cork discs .

Glass mats have a nice lively sound,compared to rubber mats. I use a Nagaoka glass/crystal mat on the TD124 .

Regards
Rajiv

Is that an L70 or L75? Looks great! What music do you listen to on that mostly?

I need to get around to replinthing my L70. I do need to find someone who is good with TT's to give it a full overhaul/service, replace bearings, grease the wheel, etc., as I think it needs some maintenance. It's over 50 years old! I'd love to find someone who can work on it for me, since I just dont have the time, or more importantly, the know how!

tek primary fare on this is hindi..although love the 60-70 english recordings on this as well. This is an L75 and the sticker on the top plate says it 1971.

Am sure FM kuruvilajacob would be able to help you with the right contact (although in kerala). ls001 is another person who has experimented so much on his lenco

BTW I dont think you need to replace bearings..the beauty of the lenco is that it is So simple than you can easily service the bearing etc yourselves. just refer to this http://www.lencoheaven.net/forum/index.php?board=10.0
And if i could do this, anyone can ... and the whole involvement in the process of getting it right is a different feeling. ..but time yes..its 2+ years and still trudging :eek: .

regarding replinthing..you are in mumbai and so is Magma..its as easy as that ;)

Hi,

Arj, for starters you could try a glass platter mat on the Lenco. Santhosh,has one of my experimental glass mats that you can borrow and try out.

You can place the glass mat directly on the Lenco platter or decouple it from the platter using 3 or 4 thin rubber or cork discs .

Glass mats have a nice lively sound,compared to rubber mats. I use a Nagaoka glass/crystal mat on the TD124 .

Regards
Rajiv

Thanks Rajiv..its been a long time since i spoke to Santosh !

the idea behind the platter is to add Mass (target around 10 kg) and width as well...this apparently improves the smoothness with the lenco due to increase in momentum

If you want to make a new plinth for Lenco, you need a sensible carpenter who is practical and a mechanic who knows how to dismantle and put back the TT to original condition. i am sure lencoheaven is the place for Lenco replinth reference.

If you want to make a new plinth for Lenco, you need a sensible carpenter who is practical and a mechanic who knows how to dismantle and put back the TT to original condition. i am sure lencoheaven is the place for Lenco replinth reference.

I already replinthed it into birch ply and also serviced the bearing myself :). Did not have the courage to service the motor yet but will do that one of these days

I am now thinking of putting this into a PTP top plate and hence need to rework on the top surface of the plinth

Had posted it in lencoheaven last year when I started this thread.

since it is a long weekend got working on some small changes/setup i have been thinking of for a long time.

I had built a separate arm pod..the success kuruvilajacob had got to me and since i had two blocks of wood lying around, glued/screwed and bluetack-ed them together and built the arm pod and put the tonearm on it
today fnally got around to setting it all up and since i could not get the VTA right had to put some wood footers below the TT and raise it.
playing well now !

also put in an Nagaoka MM cart instead of the usual Denon. somehow, while it pick up more surface noise and the music is less "Smooth", the immediacy of music and the magic in vocals is more...more rolled off top end and mass thou

1cex.jpg

i think next step should be to get a PTP5 toplate for this...

Best part of playing with the TT is it seems to have temporarily cured me too much of tweaking to the rest of the system ;) ..at least for now

Arj,
How stable is the wooden block ?. Is there any vibration generating from the wooden block as it may not be heavy enough. Also, could you get the alignment correct? I was wondering why it is picking up more surface noise

Arj,
How stable is the wooden block ?. Is there any vibration generating from the wooden block as it may not be heavy enough. Also, could you get the alignment correct? I was wondering why it is picking up more surface noise

the wooden block is OK (its temporary) its almost6x6x11 inches and has Brass feet. I also have blue tack between the blocks and then they are screwed in together.

i think surface noise has to do more with the cartridge (a MM one) with the DL103 its lower.

but you may have a point..let me see if i can mass load it up a bit

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back