Taga Harmony HTA-700B v.2

I have three concerns with the review, no offense meant but these are my concerns with audio reviews in general. Let me clarify, I mean no offense but expect a practically useful review for buying my first tube/hybrid amp, which this review does not seem to help much in decision making.

1. Nearly 5stars and "Sounding shouty at higher volumes" somehow doesn't feel appropriate. Even the cheapest of amps will be reasonably OK upto certain volume, its when you crank the volume up " what you get depends on what you pay" becomes painfully evident. At 30k which is still quite a bit of money; I'd not expect such cheap amp attributes.

2. Its a budget hybrid amp targeted at price conscious or budding audiophiles. What are the odds that they'd be owning speakers costing to the likes of Graham LS 5/9 (I assume they'd cost more than 1.5L in INR - correct me if wrong). Also the other gear like leben 300xs, Ratel DAC, Symphonic cables and Oppo CD player cost equally more. Even if you add a very poor amp to such a transparent system it'll sound reasonably good as your other costly gear would make up for many of amps deficiencies.

Why can't it be reviewed with generic 12awg speaker wires, Marantz CD 5005, with and without Modi 2 uber DAC - paired to economical bookshelves like BA26, Zensor 3,Wharfedale 227 or Dynaudio M10 etc? What's holding you from giving a more practical and useful review? The pairing with the likes of Marantz CD player and the bookshelf speakers I've mentioned is the most likely scenario its going to end up getting paired. It matters how it'd pair with these components, much more than the Grahams for the budget constrained prospective buyer for whom its intended to. You shouldn't be basing your entire review of Maruti Alto on your driving experience on the well built and maintained runways only, instead a real city traffic drive experience will be much useful.

3. This is more directed to Indian reviewers than foreigners. To maintain a global universal appeal & for easy comparability, its OK to mention your experience on exotic jazz, rock numbers and rendering of instruments and vocals but, what's holding you from mentioning few popular bollywood or other Indian music numbers?
I usually have to do a Google search for the numbers mentioned in the audio reviews, because I'd not have heard many of them. It becomes equally complicated to take a buying decision especially for equipments not easily available for audition.
I'd definitely like to know how mandolin of Tuzhe dekha from DDLJ, or drums of Bajirao, or Guitar of Sadda haq, or Kishore kr, Arijit, Asha vocals would sound with the component being reviewed. Even the popular English songs could be included in the reviewers comments. This is a universal appeal for improving the usefulness of the audio reviews. Even after an elaborate review people would still have to wait for some FMs to give their opinions, defeats the whole purpose of review itself. A small paragraph about how Indian music sounds on the gear in question shouldn't be objectionable for anyone.

BTW thanks for sharing, any reviews of its cheaper sibling 500b available @15k?

I have three concerns with the review, no offense meant but these are my concerns with audio reviews in general. Let me clarify, I mean no offense but expect a practically useful review for buying my first tube/hybrid amp, which this review does not seem to help much in decision making.

1. Nearly 5stars and "Sounding shouty at higher volumes" somehow doesn't feel appropriate. Even the cheapest of amps will be reasonably OK upto certain volume, its when you crank the volume up " what you get depends on what you pay" becomes painfully evident. At 30k which is still quite a bit of money; I'd not expect such cheap amp attributes.

2. Its a budget hybrid amp targeted at price conscious or budding audiophiles. What are the odds that they'd be owning speakers costing to the likes of Graham LS 5/9 (I assume they'd cost more than 1.5L in INR - correct me if wrong). Also the other gear like leben 300xs, Ratel DAC, Symphonic cables and Oppo CD player cost equally more. Even if you add a very poor amp to such a transparent system it'll sound reasonably good as your other costly gear would make up for many of amps deficiencies.

Why can't it be reviewed with generic 12awg speaker wires, Marantz CD 5005, with and without Modi 2 uber DAC - paired to economical bookshelves like BA26, Zensor 3,Wharfedale 227 or Dynaudio M10 etc? What's holding you from giving a more practical and useful review? The pairing with the likes of Marantz CD player and the bookshelf speakers I've mentioned is the most likely scenario its going to end up getting paired. It matters how it'd pair with these components, much more than the Grahams for the budget constrained prospective buyer for whom its intended to. You shouldn't be basing your entire review of Maruti Alto on your driving experience on the well built and maintained runways only, instead a real city traffic drive experience will be much useful.

3. This is more directed to Indian reviewers than foreigners. To maintain a global universal appeal & for easy comparability, its OK to mention your experience on exotic jazz, rock numbers and rendering of instruments and vocals but, what's holding you from mentioning few popular bollywood or other Indian music numbers?
I usually have to do a Google search for the numbers mentioned in the audio reviews, because I'd not have heard many of them. It becomes equally complicated to take a buying decision especially for equipments not easily available for audition.
I'd definitely like to know how mandolin of Tuzhe dekha from DDLJ, or drums of Bajirao, or Guitar of Sadda haq, or Kishore kr, Arijit, Asha vocals would sound with the component being reviewed. Even the popular English songs could be included in the reviewers comments. This is a universal appeal for improving the usefulness of the audio reviews. Even after an elaborate review people would still have to wait for some FMs to give their opinions, defeats the whole purpose of review itself. A small paragraph about how Indian music sounds on the gear in question shouldn't be objectionable for anyone.

BTW thanks for sharing, any reviews of its cheaper sibling 500b available @15k?

Absolutely spot on.. reviews should be based on similarly priced components, and the buyer can take decisions easily.
I too anxious about the review of 500b, could not find it anywhere.

Thanks

In response to sam_007's query, no sorry I have not heard this component. In response to Drkrack's comments I would like to reply as such:
1.The star rating is a subjective rating, based upon what the reviewer feels is appropriate. So take it as such. His 4.5 rating may be your 3.5, so as I said it depends on ones own experience.
2. I don't know about you, but I would prefer any equipment to be tested with higher end equipment. There is no better way of revealing that component's traits/strengths & weakness. Secondly it is a matter of what equipment the reviewer has. The reviewers in Hifi today are not professional reviewers. They are just forum members who volunteer their time. So they cannot be expected to keep equipment of all budgets and then compare accordingly. Another issue, if we do have a reviewer with similar budget equipment, then the dealer may not be willing to ship the equipment to that reviewer. So there are multiple factors at work here as to why we may not compare/use with similarly priced equipment.
3. We do have a rule for all reviewers to use some Indian music. Sometimes the rule is not followed, but this point I agree. At least for the Indian market some form of Indian music either pop, classical, instrumental etc. should be used.
Lastly I would like to say that any review is just a subjective opinion - unless some objective measurements are used (like stereophile), so please treat it as such and not as the final say for the equipment. If you like the review then try to hear the equipment, if not, then ignore it (the review) and go and try to listen to the equipment anyways. It is very difficult in India to try and get equipment for reviews - dealers hardly support us - one of the reasons why AV max folded and why What hifi mostly reprints articles from their UK magazine, so till we have a more robust Hifi scene in India, we are going to be limited in our reviewing methodology.
Cheers,
Sid

Thank you Sidvee for gamely rising to defend me!

Drkrack, you have made valid points and I am the hapless reviewer.

Apart from the points that Sidvee raised, when I get a chance to review, I try to do it in the context of the sound that I am used to - which is my stereo. I don't have other speakers, wires etc. I did mention that it sounded very good with Castle Knights, which I hope was in the price range.

On Indian music - sorry, but somehow that slipped by. I will try get some good Indian pop recordings. I listen to Hindustani classical and some Carnatic as well, but generally they are not well recorded. And in this case, I just forgot to put it in. I was in the Rashid Khan phase then (now loving Shujaat Hussain Khan), but I will remember not to forget next time!

I don't listen to much Indian pop unfortunately (at best, old Tamil film songs on youtube when in the mood). Interestingly, here is what Alan Shaw of Harbeth apparently used while designing his speaker - his daughter's voice since he knows it best!!

What I do hope to convey though, is how I felt connected to the music of my usual listening. If that sense comes through to you, I hope it interests you into listening to it - always, please listen before buying if you can. If I like chocolate and you like strawberry, no point in you having chocolate even if I say its the best chocolate!

It was a nice component the Taga, in the context of my system and my tastes. Please do try listen to it if possible. The more we support local dealers, the more this is possible!

Vivek

Apart from the points that Sidvee raised, when I get a chance to review, I try to do it in the context of the sound that I am used to - which is my stereo.

Vivek

Yes and that is perhaps the most relevant point of all. When a reviewer reviews equipment in the context of their own system, the views expressed are going to have a better frame of reference and likely to be more accurate rather than when a reviewer hears an entirely new system. Like going to a show and writing about equipment vs listening to it on ones own setup.
I personally know my system in and out -since I listen to it at-least an hour in a day, so any component I introduce will more or less stand out as good or bad.
Cheers,
Sid

Did you tried it with a TT?

Thank you Sidvee for gamely rising to defend me!

Drkrack, you have made valid points and I am the hapless reviewer.

Apart from the points that Sidvee raised, when I get a chance to review, I try to do it in the context of the sound that I am used to - which is my stereo. I don't have other speakers, wires etc. I did mention that it sounded very good with Castle Knights, which I hope was in the price range.

On Indian music - sorry, but somehow that slipped by. I will try get some good Indian pop recordings. I listen to Hindustani classical and some Carnatic as well, but generally they are not well recorded. And in this case, I just forgot to put it in. I was in the Rashid Khan phase then (now loving Shujaat Hussain Khan), but I will remember not to forget next time!

I don't listen to much Indian pop unfortunately (at best, old Tamil film songs on youtube when in the mood). Interestingly, here is what Alan Shaw of Harbeth apparently used while designing his speaker - his daughter's voice since he knows it best!!

What I do hope to convey though, is how I felt connected to the music of my usual listening. If that sense comes through to you, I hope it interests you into listening to it - always, please listen before buying if you can. If I like chocolate and you like strawberry, no point in you having chocolate even if I say its the best chocolate!

It was a nice component the Taga, in the context of my system and my tastes. Please do try listen to it if possible. The more we support local dealers, the more this is possible!

Vivek

Hello Sam_007, jmascreen,

Unfortunately the answer is no for both. This TAGA does not have a phono stage (as far as I remember), and so I didn't play music using my LP player.

Regards,

Vivek

vivek, thank you for taking the time and effort to review.

Now for the brickbats - am just suggesting this as opportunities to improve for the next set of reviews

1. Reviewing a component in isolation and analysing its merits and demerits without comparing to other products buyers would compare it to ( and not necessarily its peers in the price band) is not particularly useful. Comparing this product with a set of entry level Class AB amps available through hifi dealers in india, yes, this comes out tops in vfm, but I can't help wondering how it would compare to an FX audio stack of bluetooth dac, tube buffer & tpa3116 amp which costs much less. As a buyer, that is something i would want to know before putting my money down. I understand that FX audio is not going to be sending samples for review, but I am sure there are FX audio (or similar - muse, smsl, little bear etc) component owners who would only be happy to contribute?
2) the majority of the review seems to be based on the modded product. Talking about the mod potential of a product is always good, the extra information is always appreciated, but the review itself should be of the stock product right?
3) Disagree on the point on using much higher end equipment
If the reviewer had been using high sensitivity speakers instead of the graham (say some DIY based on altec fullrangers with horns, or something like a rethm bhaava) , given the low power output of the leben, the taga amp would have performed flawlessly, as it would not have to work too hard to reach good levels, which is not the case with most entry level setups where budget amps are paired with low sensitivity bookshelves. Also, since we are looking at a product where tubes are used for colouring the sound, again, using a very expensive and high quality source is in the opposite direction. I have a tube buffer, and I use it mostly to make my cheap bluetooth reciever sound amazing. The amount of warmth it masks a lot of digital artefacting, and makes everything sound flatteringly good. My point being that expensive items can also mask weaknesses.

Last edited:
Fair enough greenhorn.

Just to address your points

1 "but I can't help wondering how it would compare to an FX audio stack of bluetooth dac, tube buffer & tpa3116 amp which costs much less". Its difficult enough getting one component (see how infrequent the reviews are - just no one to give equipment), and then connecting/reconnecting and returning over a weekend. Trying to get more is going to be difficult.

2. Modding - it was only a tube roll greenhorn, but yes, that is a valid point.

3. Its not just that it is more expensive (and I agree with your point there also), but it also the only equipment that I have (back to point 1). Yes, I do blow money on audio!!

My suggestion is as follows - just google for other reviews and use this as one more opinion. That's what I do too.

Regards,

Vivek

PS. By the way, I like my system finally! For those who like my kind of sound, I recommend the Leben/Graham or Elekit/Clones/Harbeth C7 totally!

I know this is an old thread, but was wondering if anyone had experience using HTA-700b as a pre-amp? As vivek_r points to a power deficiency - I was considering it as a preamp.
Any suggestions on power amp under 50k would you pair it with (for a 10*12ft room, listening to classic rock and pop mostly).

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back