Taga platinum BS with marantz pm5005

sam_007

Hello ,

Just wondering to buy a pair of bookshelf speakers and a matching amp.
Read few good review on taga platinum B40 and bit inclined to it.
Tried to audition taga in kolkata(Auditro ) but he doesn't keep those
for audition. There Listen to dali spektor 1, but not impressed much, he suggested to take spektor 2.

If I am going with B40(audition is bit difficult), can pm5005 perfectly pair with it? Any other amp with that price range?
Will be using those purely for music.

For now, Source will be my laptop with Schitt modi multibit DAC. later on I will add a cdp.

Thanks @JayaRaa for your input.

I have not much knowledge of the technicalities, here is the specification details of B40 and 5005:

Specification For B40:
  • Recommended Amplifier Power: 20-150W
  • Frequency Response: 38Hz-40kHz
  • Impedance: 6 ohm
  • Sensitivity: 89dB
Specification For 5005: (from UK marantz):

Power Output (8 / 4 Ohm RMS) 40 W / 55 W
Power Output (8 / 4 Ohm DIN) 45 W / 60 W
Power Output (8 / 4 Ohm IHF) 55 W / 80 W
Frequency Response10 Hz
icon_unavailable.png
50 kHz
Total Harmonic Distortion0.05%
Damping Factor100
Input Sensitivity: MM2.2 mV / 47 kOhm
Input Sensitivity: MC
icon_unavailable.png

Signal to Noise Ratio: MM / MC83 dB /
icon_unavailable.png

Input Sensitivity: High level200 mV / 20 kOhm
Signal to Noise Ratio: High level102 dB (2V input)

Here, the recommended amp power for B40 is 20-150W and power output of 5005 is 40 W, so 5005 should able to handle rt?

It will play but not at the it's best. I usually would recommend at least 80 watts or more per channel to get the best out of any speakers to perform their best. 5005 will play it fine but you will miss the oomph/slam factor. It again will depend how loud you like to play. In my book the more power the better. If budget is a constrain look for used amplifiers. Norge amps have a good amount of power and are less expensive, but you will have to arrange for a DAC to play digital files if your source is a PC, as in-built sound cards suck massively.

If I am going with B40(audition is bit difficult), can pm5005 perfectly pair with it?

Yes.. It should.. PM5005 is more than enough since the speaker is 89dB efficient..Only if your speakers are less efficient, you will need more powerful amplifier..

Will Pm 5005 Drive b40? yes
Will it perfectly Pair ? I don't think so..

I follow the thumb Rule of driving the Speakers with Amp Power at least above 50% of Max Wattage the Speakers Can Withstand, in case of B40 i will chose an Amp with at least 75W+ of Power at 6ohm. You can look for other available options in your budget or some Professional amps from Indian manufactures .

Hi @tuff , Thanks for the info.
Yes, I have a DAC. Norge is a good option.

@elangoas , Yes it is 89DB, that's the reason I thought 5005 might pair it well, anyway I am not going to play it loud.
B-40 v.3 (89 db, 6ohm)is coming at the end of this month, is it worth to wait for it?

@drkrack ,
Any amp other than norge @20K? How is onkyo A9030?

@elangoas , Yes it is 89DB, that's the reason I thought 5005 might pair it well, anyway I am not going to play it loud.

5005 should be more than sufficient IMO for the speakers..

B-40 v.3 (89 db, 6ohm)is coming at the end of this month, is it worth to wait for it?

Think Taga Platinum is out of stock with many dealers.. If that is your budget and you like the speakers, you should get them.. BTW, i see these B-40 are aval on hifimart.com..

@drkrack ,
Any amp other than norge @20K? How is onkyo A9030?

I am a Fan of slightly Older series of Onkyo Integra Amps, In fact I like it More than many brands out here. Onkyo 9070 I have heard, it is good, So is Yamaha AS 501, Another option is to buy a well maintained Vintage Amp with >75WPC RMS , which I would have done.
You could look for DIY Class A amps as well in that budget range.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back