tanita tikaram

moktan

besides the deliciously desi alliteration in the name..i have always loved her songs...from imaginatively titled 'eleven kinds of loneliness' to 'poor cow', 'world outside my window' and other more popular melodies, i invested a lot of my college going youth-hood in her songs..
was wondering if there are any other obscure/not so obscure acts that make you take a trip down memory lane...your own proustian madeline moments...
i am bad at nurturing threads but hope music lovers with memories can take it away from here without much 'twist in sobriety'..

Last edited:
Moktan, used to have the cassette in the late 80s, liked twist in my sobriety and some other nos at that time, not sure if can listen to it these days unless it is on radio.

besides the deliciously desi alliteration in the name..i have always loved her songs...from imaginatively titled 'eleven kinds of loneliness' to 'poor cow', 'world outside my window' and other more popular melodies, i invested a lot of my college going youth-hood in her songs..
was wondering if there are any other obscure/not so obscure acts that make you take a trip down memory lane...your own proustian madeline moments...
i am bad at nurturing threads but hope music lovers with memories can take it away from here without much 'twist in sobriety'..

was just listening to 'good tradition' and suddenly realized that my memories of particular periods in time, parenthesis of personal history pervade, are sonic-ly soaked with songs..
from 'yesterday once more' by carpenters to 'kingston town', the belafonte standard that i am teaching (a form of 'child abuse') my daughter rachel..
there are so many memories locked in melodies....

One album that gets a lot of airplay on a monthly basis is by Jill Scott, Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds, Vol. 1

Amazon.com: Who Is Jill Scott? Words and Sounds, Vol. 1

Way, One is the Magic # are my favourites.

i have seen her live as well and its a fantastic experience. She is one who can handle high and low notes with ease and also the pace. The album shows a glimple of her repertoire.

Was curious about Tikaram after reading this thread and so went and listened to her "Twist in my sobriety" song. I liked her voice and the general flow of the song. But the lyrics absolutely did not make sense to me. Am I missing something or is the song obscure and stupid on purpose?

Was curious about Tikaram after reading this thread and so went and listened to her "Twist in my sobriety" song. I liked her voice and the general flow of the song. But the lyrics absolutely did not make sense to me. Am I missing something or is the song obscure and stupid on purpose?

hehe....but aren't there others too out there with absolutely inane lyrics which we secretly hope make some profound sense...i always thought the culprit no. one in this department was The Grateful Dead...
by the way some cultural notes that help make one sense of Tanita Tikaram-she supposed to be quite an icon amongst cerebral lesbians...
the muddy lyrics though of that song is ...

TWIST IN MY SOBRIETY

All God's children need travelling shoes
Drive your problems from here
All good people read good books
Now your conscience is clear [x2]

In the morning when I wipe my brow
Wipe the miles away
I like to think I can be so willed
And never do what you say [x2]

[CHORUS:]
Look my eyes are just holograms
Look your love has drawn red from my hands
From my hands you know you'll never be
More than twist in my sobriety [x3]

We just poked a little pie
For the fun that people have at night
Late at night don't need hostility
The timid smile and pause to free

I don't care about their different thoughts
Different thoughts are good for me
Up in arms and chaste and whole
All God's children took their toll

Last edited:

hi Moktan,

something about a cathedral - ?

that name -tanita tikaram - vague memories i have -

you have her songs on tape?

regds suri

I bought her cassette based on a review in the Telegraph (I was in calcutta then) for 35 rupees. It was a big boxy plastic cover cassette from WEA. One of the 1st one that I purchased that had a lyrics booklet inside.
She had another major hit prior to that - ancient heart. The saturday review in Telegraph actually had heaved praises on her voice and this particular song. went by the review and purchased one.

hi Moktan,

something about a cathedral - ?

that name -tanita tikaram - vague memories i have -

you have her songs on tape?

regds suri

suri,
the cathedral song is extracted below for your perusal.
and yes i did own the tapes, magnasound, i think it was. the song in question is from the album 'ancient heart'.

regards

saw you from the cathedral
You were watching me
And I saw from the cathedral
What I should be

So take my lies
And take my time
'Cos all the others want to take my life

And I watch you with an intent, basic
It's the same for you
You hold your hand
And it's all fine - laced and
What would you make me do?

So take my lies
And take my time

Serious for the winter time
To wrench my soul
whole cotton, whole cotton ears
But I know there must be
There must be, yes, I know there must be a place to go

You saw me from the cathedral
Well I'm an ancient heart
Yes, you saw me from the cathedral
Well here we are just falling apart

You catch me
I am tired
I want all that you are

I saw you from the cathedral
You were leaving me
And I saw from the cathedral
You could not see to see

So take my lies
And take my time

Heyyyyy....I"m really glad someone other than me remembers her...awesome voice and intelligent lyrics...been a big fan for the last 20 years (I guess) when I got a copy of a copy of a scratchy tape...have most of her albums now on CD...recently added 'Ancient Heart' to my vinyl collection...on of my most prized LPs :eek:hyeah:

If you like her, you might like Damien Rice who I consider is the male version of Tanita ;)

In bands, couple of not so well known bands (here) I'd recommend -
Pineapple Thief and Shadow Gallery (perhaps this one is well known in the prog metal community)

more later...

thanks...i don't know why but i am hooked to her almost plaintive, mournful singing style..not to mention the elliptic lyrics..
other more recent acts i have enjoyed were Death Cab For Cutie (Ben Gibbard's death obsessed melancholy) and the quirky Deerhoof (the bassist sings her lines in a strange school girlish Japanese accent)..however there are enough musical convolutions in their three minute melodies to actually supply lesser bands with inspiration for entire albums....

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back