Tannoy BS speakers- how it will pair with valve amp?

AMITNOIDA

I am following the threads on 'speakers audition' in HFV for selection of my 2.0 speaker system. You guys are great and whatever I came to know about the audio system is because of you and HFV.

After building my PC and puting in Asus Xonar soundcard I got a decent source. During last one month or so I have collected about 20-25 CDs from Rhythmhouse and Amazon.usa. Few more from Amazon is on the way.

Today I have been to Sunny's Place at Chittaranjan Park Delhi. And on the way I visited Viren Bakshi's place at Sarita Vihar. Listened to Viren's valve amps with his single drive speakers. The valve amp has its own flavour and vocals were really lively. He played Lata Mangeskar (I have carried the CD) and it was as if Lataji was singing in front of us. We have listened Supertramp, Leonard Kohen's 'Live in London', Sarod by Amjad Ali Khan. Also, played some rock music, it was not bad either even with single stage speaker.
But for my bedroom I will go for 2 way bookshelf. The Tannoy F1 custom was my next hunt at Sunny's place. It was not a showroom, but an office in the 2nd floor. Sunny is a good soul with warm personality. I have listened to F1 custom with an Yamaha amplifier. Sound was good. But the room was an office room and the things were not properly set.
Next Saturday Sunny will send three pair of Tannoy BS speakers (F1 customs, Revolution signature and Reveal series) to Viren's place and I will take audition there along with the valve amps of Lyrita.

Will the Tannoy speakers pair well with Viren's valve amps? What's your opinion?

By next weekend you will be the best person to answer this question. :)

I think you should also consider the Audire Callisto Bookshelf. Unless you are looking for really small compact speakers - this one weighs heavy with a completely dead and non-resonant enclosure and is slightly less than 2ft by 1ft. It is a single driver fostex 166e. Very transparent in the midrange and extends smoothly into the lows. Great imaging and absolutely uncoloured sound!

I've heard them for a few weeks and planing to buy them soon.

HTH
Cheers

I think you should also consider the Audire Callisto Bookshelf. Unless you are looking for really small compact speakers - this one weighs heavy with a completely dead and non-resonant enclosure and is slightly less than 2ft by 1ft. It is a single driver fostex 166e. Very transparent in the midrange and extends smoothly into the lows. Great imaging and absolutely uncoloured sound!

I've heard them for a few weeks and planing to buy them soon.

HTH
Cheers

Whatz the price of Audire Callisto Bookshelf speakers? What are the finishes available?

TIA
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Yesterday I have been to Viren's house for audition of two Tannoy speakers :
F1 Mercury customs
Reveal 6 (Studio Monitor)

The F1 Mercury customs was not sounding good with Viren's amp (may be due to lower sensitivity of F1 Custom) and was changed to reveal 6 within 30minutes. The Reveal 6 has pretty good sensitivity of 90. Viren's amp (SET amps costing about 45k) was effortlessly driving the speakers. The speakers were placed on a pair of iron stand. Sound was loud, we had to scale down the loudness. The details were very good. Bass was decent but slightly thin in the lower frequency. I carried some fusion music (Rhythspace, Anandashankar) and Fourplay, Lionel Richie, Shraddhanjali etc. My CD collection has just began and doesn't have much stock. Biktram Ghosh's Tabla (Rhythmspace) was fabulous. Lata Mangeskar's voice was also very good. We compared Lataji's song with Viren's single driver speaker. Lataji's voice was a shade open and the music was more effortless and coherent in Viren's speaker. But Reveal was also good and not far behind. The speaker is slightly in brighter side and clinical. It was neutral and the sweet colouration (I like it) was missing. But the most important aspect is the speaker is a near field, one can listen even at 4ft from the speakers, but being rear ported, it requires at least 6" (1 ft plus will be better) from the rear wall. The speaker is not at all forgiving. It reveals the bad recording. But good recorded CDs play very well. All in all Reveal 6 comes as one of the contenders for my Bedroom speaker.

hey Amit - great review. What is the cost of these reveals?

When you found the bass thin, was it a limitation of amp or the speakers themselves? Have you tried them with a powerful ss amp?

regards

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back