Tannoy Eaton speaker with defective HF unit

Hi,
It seems that one of the diaphragm is re-coiled locally. The original coil which is silver in colour is made up of Aluminium ribbon wire and is edgewound to a nomex former. This is next to impossible to re-coil or replicate locally. What seems that It had been done using normal round copper wire, which will never sound the same.
1. The voice coil inductance of aluminium is lower than copper.
2. The coil mass will be lower for aluminium than copper.
3. The original edgewound aluminium is a one layer coil (edgewound) which is closely pack together for more efficiency resulting greater sensitivity....as to the round copper wire coil will need 2 layer of winding and will have a lower sensitivity and more mass in comparison to the original.
Do you have any spare Tannoy HF unit?

Tannoy has a monopoly on the Diaphragms. They are only available thru them. I have kit parts for the 10, 12 & 15 monitor gold LSU drivers and even the Westminster Royal 15.

Maybe it is true for turntables But for Vintage speakers ..... It is quite possible to get things right on track. Atleast for most of the American and European vintage speakers here in India.
Restoration and re-building these vintage drivers can be done to the original factory specifications.
Depending how you do it ..where you do it.
Agreed sir. That is why I mentioned if you are willing to go the distance.

It is unfortunate you got an bad unit with replaced diaphragm.

I have heard this unit too at Naseer place and sounded good not too bad, but there is distortion as u said and I also suspected the cross over. Replacing the diaphragm can be done for coaxial especially Tannoys should have strong heart since it is too expensive and just an silly mistake will cost in thousands...May be an skilled person like you could have replaced the same. since the goods are from market it could have been replaced by the technicians.

However you are damn lucky to get the Tannoy HPD 10" for 40k, since the frame alone will cost 40 to 50K with out cone paper or cross over .

Let me see i can find out an diaphragm for you. i have passed the info to my contacts hope you will get one pair or one.

I remember you won ebay auction for super tweeters for my B&W DM4. I can never forget you.

Hello Rajkumar i was not aware of diaphragm change in the speaker.I was bought this with the use of listening and felt no tonal difference
between both speakers.I clearly inform you that i don't aware of the drivers and has issue in volume pot .I thought issue present in crossover and you are able to correct.Here no cheating happens and i bought from my friend and he also not checked this.I am not a technician and not able to check like this. Don't worry i will repay all the amount including transport and keep this speaker with you and i will arrange to collect from your home.I am really sorry and this happens without my knowledge.
After lot of discussion with few experts regarding this problem, everbody feels that cone, surround, voice coil, crossover, cables everything is good the diaphragm alone taken to some other drivers by someone. I found that bringing back this speaker to original condn is very difficult and costlier. i didn't have fund to go further, please repay my money 40K alone and i will send back you the speakers safely. Hope you will repay as you said.

After lot of discussion with few experts regarding this problem, everbody feels that cone, surround, voice coil, crossover, cables everything is good the diaphragm alone taken to some other drivers by someone. I found that bringing back this speaker to original condn is very difficult and costlier. i didn't have fund to go further, please repay my money 40K alone and i will send back you the speakers safely. Hope you will repay as you said.

No issue rajkumar as i said i will repay your money.

Rajkumar,

This thread is turning ugly by your posting above and clearly your intention is to get back the money for no fault of seller who is an good audiophile and it is very misleading about an member here.

I also thought in starting, Your intention is to make aware of the members buying an vintage speaker..

Can you tell who is the expert advised you ?? I thought you are an expert technician on rectification of every stuffs and can be helpful to us.

If your intention is to get back the money, why you should post the part by part photos and request later now to get back the stuffs ...You could have sort out the problem out of forum posting and requested him to return the bill. Which seller will take back on stuffs like this part by part opened without his prior intimation and also publicly put the photos ????? Have you called the seller before you posting the photos and asked for the money back ??? I believe no, since i called him and enquire about this and he is not aware and i pointed this thread to him.

Please note several of our members have heard the tannoy speakers and nobody could find the fault of it since nobody is risk of opening the vintage stuff. However it produced a really good sound on adjustment/ balancing.

Just few threads back you mentioned money is not an problem and you told no other buyers should be """cheated""".. In this case it is not cheating, knowing about the problem and after several audition you have taken it and for sure i know 40K is not paid for it and less than that and also in instalments through another sale.

Raj, please do think twice before posting about something in an forum and later not regret about that. Money is not an big thing, friendship is more important.

Thanks..

Last edited:
Rajkumar,

This thread is turning ugly by you posting and clearly your intention is to get back the money for no fault of seller who is an good audiophile and it is very misleading about an member here.

I also thought in starting, Your intention is to make aware of the members buying an vintage speaker..

Can you tell who is the expert advised you ?? I thought you are an expert technician on rectification of every stuffs and can be helpful to us.

If your intention is to get back the money, why you should post the part by part photos and request later now to get back the stuffs ...You could have sort out the problem out of forum posting and requested him to return the bill. Which seller will take back on stuffs like this part by part opened without his prior intimation and also publicly put the photos ????? Have you called the seller before you posting the photos and asked for the money back ??? I believe no, since i called him and enquire about this and he is not aware and i pointed this thread to him.

Please note several of our members have heard the tannoy speakers and nobody could find the fault of it since nobody is risk of opening the vintage stuff. However it produced a really good sound on adjustment/ balancing.

Just few threads back you mentioned money is not an problem and you told no other buyers should be """cheated""".. In this case it is not cheating, knowing about the problem and after several audition you have taken it and for sure i know 40K is not paid for it and less than that and also in instalments through another sale.

Raj, please do think twice before posting about something in an forum and later not regret about that. Money is not an big thing, friendship is more important.

Thanks..
Sorry sir, i respect you and you are the one who gave me a good chance of building your amp. Did you think i did this for money? I didn't mention anybody's name. I just posted the technical details only and i try to solve the problem. I didn't ask him money first. i didn't pay him money directly, Mr.Navarajan paid him in installments, but full 40K paid. Again telling money is not an issue. i don't want money back.

I stops here. I won't post any thing in this thread here.

I request you one last thing. Please check the HF diaphragm of 15" Monitor Gold which Mr.Nasser given for reconing and modifying it into westminster Royal. I don't want to tell this but your hard words made it. As you said earlier my 40K is only for frame, crossover and cabinet not for HF unit.

Thank you sir.

I feel sorry this thread gone in a wrong way. I kindly request other members not to reply anything new in this thread and allow it to go down.

Thanks

Sorry sir, i respect you and you are the one who gave me a good chance of building your amp. Did you think i did this for money? I didn't mention anybody's name. I just posted the technical details only and i try to solve the problem. I didn't ask him money first. i didn't pay him money directly, Mr.Navarajan paid him in installments, but full 40K paid. Again telling money is not an issue. i don't want money back.

I stops here. I won't post any thing in this thread here.

I request you one last thing. Please check the HF diaphragm of 15" Monitor Gold which Mr.Nasser given for reconing and modifying it into westminster Royal. I don't want to tell this but your hard words made it. As you said earlier my 40K is only for frame, crossover and cabinet not for HF unit.

Thank you sir.
He is suppose to ship the Tannoy 15MG without the Diaphragms. It's advisable to ship Tannoy driver's without the HF Diaphragms and the rear magnet cover. If only the LF is to be reconed. Why take
unnecessary chance on the Diaphragms. Let them be safe with the user.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back