Tannoy Sterling SE and Glen Air 10 - Review

panditji

I heard the Tannoy Mercury speakers almost 6-7 years back at the New Delhi dealer's place and was very impressed with the sweet sounding mid range..the only downer was that the bass was very unimpressive but I still came away very impressed...
Today I heard the Tannoy Stirling SE along with the Glen Air 10 and was blown away with the sheer musicality with which both played despite being hooked up to an Onkyo AVR....The Sterling excelled in everything with deep low bass along with the famous Tannoy mid range.....The Glen Air was a tad bit better in terms of the precision of the sound and in the looks department but i found the Sterling SE was much more musical and involving....simply loved it and can understand what Dr. Bass has in his setup.....

My choice for speakers when I have 4 lakhs to spare.....

I heard the Tannoy Mercury speakers almost 6-7 years back at the New Delhi dealer's place and was very impressed with the sweet sounding mid range..the only downer was that the bass was very unimpressive but I still came away very impressed...
Today I heard the Tannoy Stirling SE along with the Glen Air 10 and was blown away with the sheer musicality with which both played despite being hooked up to an Onkyo AVR....The Sterling excelled in everything with deep low bass along with the famous Tannoy mid range.....The Glen Air was a tad bit better in terms of the precision of the sound and in the looks department but i found the Sterling SE was much more musical and involving....simply loved it and can understand what Dr. Bass has in his setup.....

My choice for speakers when I have 4 lakhs to spare.....

Happy to know that you heard the Stirling, but an AVR with this speaker is not done:sad:, I mean why ? Wasnt there any other amp around ?
BTW, what is the price of Stirling in India ?

I think it is a superb speaker for 2.5 lakhs .... I think people with this budget for a speaker should definitely listen to the Stirling atleast before deciding ...... I came away very very impressed...

Two and half-ish big ones, IIRC.

Turnberry is near 3. Glen Air slots somewhere between these two.

Joshua,

These certainly are not the list prices in India. The Turnberry with the ST200 supertweeter is listed as somewhere close to 4L. But, if one can get these at the prices you mention, nothing like it. These are really great speakers, I mean the Turnberry (and reportedly also the Stirling which I have not heard). The Glenairs are several notches below. I heard the Glenairs in Kolkata a few years back.

I have heard a lot about the Kensingtons in the same Prestige series. If anybody has any first hand listening experience, please share.

Regards

Happy to know that you heard the Stirling, but an AVR with this speaker is not done:sad:, I mean why ? Wasnt there any other amp around ?
BTW, what is the price of Stirling in India ?

I heard it in a huge departmental store with one floor dedicated to home theatre and hence the AVR... I was passing time and the sales guy must have realised it...so I did not bother to ask him to change the amp.....
I am sure your speakers sound superb with the Naim 5i .... Even then I was blown away...

Joshua,

These certainly are not the list prices in India. The Turnberry with the ST200 supertweeter is listed as somewhere close to 4L.

Yes, Asit, the price I mentioned is minus supertweeters, which is an extra 1.25L or thereabout for a pair (IIRC). So final cost of ownership will be near or above 4L if one opts for the supertweeters. Exact prices can be had from Absolute Sound, Surat.

I listened to the Sterlings and Glen Airs without the supertweeters and they still sounded fantastic.....I am sure the supertweeters will take the sound to a totally new dimension...

I agree, even without the super tweeters the Turnberrys would sound very good. The super tweeters make the sound more open, obviously the extra harmonics produce that feeling of openness. Especially with classical music (both Indian and Western), the upper harmonics are important, and the super tweeters make a significant improvement.

If I remember correctly, I heard the Glenairs without the super tweeters.

Regards.

I heard the super tweeters after I bought the Turnberry. It is a complete speaker on its own. ST is a great add on.

Panditji, I know why you liked the Tannoys so much :)

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back