Tannoy Turnberry impedance curve - Need help

Dr.Bass

Friends,
I had requested Tannoy to send me the impedance curve for the Tannoy Turnberry SE speakers. They have sent me this:

I am not sure what exactly to make out from this graph. Can someone please help me read this graph and make some general inferences out of it ? Especially what kind of amplification works for this speaker etc etc.

Tannoy has requested me to give a feedback for their customer service, I dont even know how helpful this graph is:eek:hyeah:

Friends,
I had requested Tannoy to send me the impedance curve for the Tannoy Turnberry SE speakers. They have sent me this:

I am not sure what exactly to make out from this graph. Can someone please help me read this graph and make some general inferences out of it ? Especially what kind of amplification works for this speaker etc etc.

Tannoy has requested me to give a feedback for their customer service, I dont even know how helpful this graph is:eek:hyeah:

I am giving my points here purely based on whatever physics fundamentals I am aware of. The graph shows how the overall impedance (impedance is sort of resistance in simpler terms, but actually it is more to it) of the speaker varies according to the frequency. Generally, the impedance remains at a lower range for low frequency. That is why few amplifiers/receivers may find difficult to drive some large speakers while reproducing heavy bass sound. Generally, the impedance will swing between high and low across the frequency range, but as I said before, the impedance remains at the lower range at the low frequency range. From the graph you have put, we can see that the impedance fairly remains high across the frequency spectrum. Some speakers impedance can get as low as 2 ohms for some frequencies. In this case, the lowest impedance seems to be above 8 ohms and this should be a speaker where light weight amplifiers/receivers can find easy to drive. The result would be less distortion and clean sound.

Strange. I can see the pictures quite well, right from post 1.

Dr Bass: the impedance never drops below 7 Ohms at any frequency, meaning that it presents an easy load for an amplifier. If the impedance were to drop to say, below 4 ohms at some frequency, it would be a challenging load to many an amplifier. Instead, an amplifier would see a fairly benign load. All this is upto 1 kHz. Beyond that, there is a sharp up swing that goes beyond the highest impedance shown in the graph (40 ohms) and stays that way till 20 kHz. This is strange.

Dr Bass: the impedance never drops below 7 Ohms at any frequency, meaning that it presents an easy load for an amplifier. If the impedance were to drop to say, below 4 ohms at some frequency, it would be a challenging load to many an amplifier. Instead, an amplifier would see a fairly benign load. All this is upto 1 kHz. Beyond that, there is a sharp up swing that goes beyond the highest impedance shown in the graph (40 ohms) and stays that way till 20 kHz. This is strange.

Exactly, what is that sharp rise after 2khz ? Is this a 2 way or a 3 way graph ?

The URL has been blocked by the order of the DoT- is the message I get.

Jls001 - for an inductive load, impedance always rises with frequency. That is normal. Now the rate of rise can be a problem, but good motor design takes care of it by using copper shorting rings. If only I could see the actual graph.

The URL has been blocked by the order of the DoT- is the message I get.

Jls001 - for an inductive load, impedance always rises with frequency. That is normal. Now the rate of rise can be a problem, but good motor design takes care of it by using copper shorting rings. If only I could see the actual graph.

Overall it is a pretty benign load. That rise over 1k makes it seems that some low pass filtering is in place and/or this graph is for the woofer section of the system

I went through old magazines and could dig out the impedance curves of quite a few speakers. One example is Martin Logan Montis speaker. The Impedance from zero to 400 Hz is well above 20 ohms. The explanation given is that there is a high-pass filter in the audio path to relieve the amplifier of having to deliver high current to the speaker. At 400 Hz the impedance is about 7 Ohms but rises sharply to 18 Ohms at 1 kHz from where it goes all the way downhill to 0.52 Ohms at 20 kHz. This is a very wild curve. The low impedance at the peak of the audio band means this speakers will not be suited for tube amps with high source impedance. The treble will sound soft with such a pairing. What ever:eek:

In case you want I could paraphrase the impedance curves for Polka LSi703 book shelve speakers, a Marten Django XL, etc.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back