Tata Sky HD - Weird Issue

rmurthy

I have a weird problem with my tata sky HD connection and would appreciate any pointers to resolve this issue. I have a NTSC TV and a NTSC-PAL converter. I have subscribed to Tata sky HD service and ever since the installation I'm observing that either the audio or video or both go way randomly. This happens frequently and Tata sky has been unable to resolve this issue. I got my HDMI cables and converter checked and the converter works fine in my friends place with tata sky connection. Have complained to tata sky atleast 10 times since installation without any solution. The installer has changed the HD set-up box 4 times already. I also changed the resolution from 1080i to 720p, but did not help. Any pointers ? Thought of upgrading to HD recording box, but tata sky wants me to shell out Rs6080 for the upgrade. :-(
They always have a scripted answer saying that the issues will be resolved in 2hrs, but nothing happens. :-(

HD Recorder is not going to help.

Does you friend also have an NTSC TV? If not, how do you say that the converter works? Just a thought.

Yes. He has a NTSC TV and uses the same type of converter as I do. When he swapped his converter with my converter and tested it out, he saw no issues with either audio or video. The only difference is that he is using a HD box with recording capability and I have a regular HD box.

Well. There is no difference between HD Recorder and plain HD box apart from the obvious - at least that is what I think.

Have you tried taking your HD box along also? Or have you tried to bring his HDR+ and converter to your home?

I once had a similar problem where the sound kept going off. It was later solved with the STB replacement. In your case since you have already received 4 replacements, it'll worth looking at the following questions?
Does the issue persist even when you connect through the analogue ports? This will help you narrow it down to a port issue.
Do you face this issue with any other source, such as Blu Ray player, DVD or CD player when connected to the TV via the converter? This will help you narrow the problem down to Converter & Or TV

I have not really tried connecting any other device. Couple of other things which are weird is that on some days during night time, I have no issues at all. No audio or video issues at all. Also, I have never observed this issue on some of the channels(mostly on channels which broadcast english movies). I have tried explaining this to Tata sky representatives, but they have no clue :sad:

The problem is most likely with the TV. I had a NTSC TV with PAL convertor and this exact problem cropped up now and then. However I was using a cable set top box at that time. In some channels the sound and pic would go off and on and I had to completly switch off the TV, set top box and switch it on back again and it would work for couple of hours without problem and then again it would be back to it's old way. AS you said mostly all the english channels worked properly. I was never able to get to the bottom of the problem. I simply sold that TV.

The problem is most likely with the TV. I had a NTSC TV with PAL convertor and this exact problem cropped up now and then. However I was using a cable set top box at that time. In some channels the sound and pic would go off and on and I had to completly switch off the TV, set top box and switch it on back again and it would work for couple of hours without problem and then again it would be back to it's old way. AS you said mostly all the english channels worked properly. I was never able to get to the bottom of the problem. I simply sold that TV.
Aghhhh! Now that is cutting off a limb ... :D

Aghhhh! Now that is cutting off a limb ... :D

Anyway it was a CRT TV. Not worth the time and effort and moreover did not want to open the TV as I was sure it was some problem with NTSC/PAL conversion/transmission. Maybe if it was a LCD/LED TV I would have had second thoughts of selling it.

I don't think so. If I do use a regular cable box(without the converter), then I have no issues with the audio or the video going away. I did the same with the set top box but get different results..

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back