Tata Sky transmission on HD LCDs

kimster

Hi

Have just purchased a 40" HD LCD - Samsung. While I do understand that tatasky does not broadcast in HD - how good or bad is the actual picture quality when viewed on a HD LCD. While pixelation is accepted - is there a lot of other picture distortion like shadow images, picture shake, morphing etc...

Kimster,

You are a very well informed buyer. Just like you mentioned, a level of pixelation is to be expected while watching SD.

Having said that, TataSky or Dishnet will give you decent CD quality video (if not the claimed DVD quality) along with better stereo sound. The issues you mentioned - picture distortion like shadow images, picture shake, morphing etc. is very rare. Infact, almost nil.

Unfortunatly its a long way to go for HD transmission. I saw somewhere in this forum its mentioned that BSNL or Reliance is coming out with the same.

Am sure you will be more than happy watching your collection of DVDs upscaled to the minimum native resolutions of your LCD.

best regards.

Hey,
Thanks for the resposne....I thought as much w.r.t the picture quality. Have got the Tata sky guys across twice and they keep trying and giveing the usual abt 'LCD TV will be like this only'. As stated earlier pixelation would be there ....but I am getting morphing, and shadow images etc which shouldn't be the case right? have asked the Tatasky guys to come back and relook the entire installation. Could it be the alignment of the dish? the cable between the dish and the STB etc??? I hope so as the pic quality is really poor in fact some channels are like watching a camera print!! BTW do you have a LCD home theatre set up .... if so, you can gv some real feedback... am just in the process of completing the rest of my set up in the next week or so - denon AVR with KEF KHTs and profigold / QED cables and spk cables

Hi

Have just purchased a 40" HD LCD - Samsung. While I do understand that tatasky does not broadcast in HD - how good or bad is the actual picture quality when viewed on a HD LCD. While pixelation is accepted - is there a lot of other picture distortion like shadow images, picture shake, morphing etc...

by the way, DVD component input will drastically improve video quality, unfortunately avaialble only on reliance STB's till date !

Kimster,

You are a very well informed buyer. Just like you mentioned, a level of pixelation is to be expected while watching SD.

Having said that, TataSky or Dishnet will give you decent CD quality video (if not the claimed DVD quality) along with better stereo sound. The issues you mentioned - picture distortion like shadow images, picture shake, morphing etc. is very rare. Infact, almost nil.

Unfortunatly its a long way to go for HD transmission. I saw somewhere in this forum its mentioned that BSNL or Reliance is coming out with the same.

Am sure you will be more than happy watching your collection of DVDs upscaled to the minimum native resolutions of your LCD.

best regards.

CD Quality video? what is that? you mean vcd?
IMHO DVD sound is worse than CD..

i have tata sky plus. and i use it via component to connect it to my lcd.

the pic quality is good in terms of clarity and zero artifacts. but there's bound to be pixellations. even if u use component cable u will still see pixellations.

also, the aspect ratio of all channels is 4:3 and not 16:9.

sun dth has launched their hd services and as far as pic quality is concerned, nat geo hd and discovery hd look awesome in 720p, i have seen the pics.

i hope tata sky launches their hd services as well in the near future. otherwise the entire point of having a high def tele at home becomes questionable.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back