Tatasky bye bye?

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
Streaming services are costly and not everything has all the required titles. Netflix, Amazon prime, hotstar, zee, sun and what not. I would rather prefer a rental service from apple or google. In my opinion, Netflix should come up with rental service too. Yes, I have prime subscription but no fire stick, Hotstar subscription but no multi channel support. Netflix is too costly but I could find all movie titles in there. For TV series viewers, these services are nothing but excellent.
Just my views.

I have a mi box for running youtube, Netflix, amazon, hotstar etc. It also runs Airtel TV app, Jio TV app via sideloading for occasional TV channel viewing. TV is only noise these days so better avoid.

Lots of food for thought. Thanks guys.

I watch a lot of sports on tv, football, cricket etc. How do I watch that without a cable dth? Plus stuff like star world and such channels :(

I have a mi box for running youtube, Netflix, amazon, hotstar etc. It also runs Airtel TV app, Jio TV app via sideloading for occasional TV channel viewing. TV is only noise these days so better avoid.
Can you stream Live HD channels through airtel or jio app?

Hmm no in my opinion not so soon. I mean I cant switch off my Airtel DTH just yet. I have all the HD channels I want, costs me 400/- a month. I do use Amazon and Netflix quite a bit, however, I cannot switch them completely.

MaSh

Hi

@celester340 from a best service and customer care perspective, check which provider works well in the area you are based in Chennai.....seek feedback from neighbours and surrounding areas....take a call then.

I find hathway HD cheaper and better....not all channels are actual 5.1 being aired by the broadcaster...but if it is....it lights up as Dolby Digital or Dolby Digital on my AVR......

In Goa region my cousin uses Airtel HD and the SQ & PQ is awesome....he does not have a proper 5.1 so cant really judge if actual 5.1 is being delivered.

Can you stream Live HD channels through airtel or jio app?

Yes, hd channels work fine just like on mobile but its a little bit cumbersome to change channels through remote as it needs to use mousetoggle app to navigate through apps, not a problem if you use a wired mouse though.

I watch a lot of sports on tv, football, cricket etc.
Hotstar has exclusive sports subscription for Rs.399 annual and covers most of the star sports content.
However, on my 50 inch LG led TV, the picture quality was not very smooth while fast changing frames.

Lots of food for thought. Thanks guys.

I watch a lot of sports on tv, football, cricket etc. How do I watch that without a cable dth? Plus stuff like star world and such channels :(
Actually sports and live events will become exclusive to OTT players in their efforts to grow subscriber base, the same as it happens in the US.

Last year Jio tried for IPL rights, which was with Sony, but won by Star (via bidding). So now Hotstar (actually Star Network and now Disney) owns IPL rights for the next 5 years.

In other words, no single subscription will give you everything, not DTH (unless you subscribe to all channels via megapack or something) and certainly not OTT. However, Hotstar is a very good option as they stream most of the sports action live - cricket, tennis, football, etc. Plus they are cheap at Rs. 999 per year, or Rs. 299 for sports only.

Quality of Hotstar when used on a big screen is not that great at all. For sports. That’s one of the reasons I’m still contemplating.

Quality of Hotstar when used on a big screen is not that great at all. For sports. That’s one of the reasons I’m still contemplating.
Go with Hathway and choose only À la carte the channels you want. Will reduce the cost and also get rid of the clutter that you don't watch,

Yes, hd channels work fine just like on mobile but its a little bit cumbersome to change channels through remote as it needs to use mousetoggle app to navigate through apps, not a problem if you use a wired mouse though.
Thanks firearm. These HD channels output 5.1 sound or just stereo?

I’ve been using Tatasky more than 10 years now. But they seem to be in shit creek for the moment. So many isssies with rights etc. is it a good time to say goodbye? And if yes, what are my other options? I need a recorder box for sure.

Thanks guys.
Tata Sky HD box now become much Better... You are using old box.. but currently HD box are providing web apps service free.. Iam using humax T52 HD box..

Tatasky HD (mega-giga-gaga pack) - Rs. 770/- pm
In our household it's primarily for Sports, English movies/entertainment/news, Kannada channels
Now with Tatasky-Sony lover's quarrel its become a pain

Netflix 4k/4screen - Rs. 800/- pm
Amazon Prime - Rs. 85/- pm (Rs. 999/- pa)
This combo rocks for movies and shows. Well worth the money.
4K on new LG OLED is stunning, HDR and Dolby Vision is an absolute delight

So now I have dropped TataSky and signed up for:
HotStar - Rs. 85/- pm (Rs. 999/- pa)
SonyLiv - Rs. 40/- pm (Rs. 499/- pa)
YuppTV - Free for now (some LG TV deal for 6 months)

Hotstar movies and shows are OK-HD quality (not great, not bad either)
Live sports is passable, not enjoyable
SonyLiv movies and shows are OK-HD quality (not great, not bad either)
Live sports is "shite"
YuppTV news is enough

Using Chromecast for HotStar, SonyLiv, YuppTV. Ad free shows, movies. Pause and watch later. Too many conveniences :)

Have given TataSky my piece of mind and told them why I am moving away. Let's see if they get their act together.
My argument is simple. When paying Rs. 175/- pm for HD access, charge me another 100-125 and give me only HD channels.
Why push SD crap as base pack (gazilion useless channels) and then add-on HD/Sports (pricey) as though it's God's gift from them.

Other option is move to Hathaway cable at Rs. 500/- pm; get a package similar or better than TataSky's mega-gaga package.
Have heard many complaints about the local operator; so still in limbo.

For the last few months, our TV watching has been mostly NetFlix/Prime and live sports.
Let's see if I can survive the ordeal.

Cheers,
Raghu

I ditched TataSky after using it for 12 years !!!!!! I was one of the early 100 adopters.... and finally recently 2 months back I pulled the plug on the subscription. I was paying 1000 rs / Month for the package and I was watching a handful of channels. I decided to try cutting the cord logic and invest the amount on available channels on shield TV and fire stick 4K, since I already have a 1TB/Month carryforward plan of airtel broadband with 50 Mbps connection. And I couldnt be happier. Below is what I have

1. Hotstar
2. Netflix
3. APV
4. Sony LIV
5. ZEE5
6. SPUUL
7. HOOQ
8. VOOT
9. Curiosity Stream
10. NDTV News
11. YouTube (good old)

and with all the premium subscription I have paid for all the above channales, I still landed much cheaper (<500) than what I was paying on tatasky and in all fairness have covered almost all main stream programs that I used to watch on tatasky. Plus content on Netflix and APV is quality and enough in itself to justify cutting the cord.

But I know all cannot follow this route specially people who have parents, coz they probabily would prefer the conventional TV. for me, my wife and even my kid is more than happy with what all the above 11 channels have to offer.

Also I dont have a Jio phone but its been told to me that with Jio phone you can have Jio TV premium subscription and Jio TV has all the conventional channels available that we have on STB.

So people give it a thought of cutting the cord ... :)

@sam9s
What is your sports solution? Are you satisfied with the quality.
At my home Hotstar is just about watchable, but SonyLiv is very bad.

Recorded shows are good quality; definitely watchable.
It is not a speed issue; I have 100 Mbps connection (1TB data); it never drops below 50 Mbps.
Wonder why they cannot do 3-5 minute delay and stream good quality.

Jio phone with Jio TV is good for small screen.
For big screen, Jio fiber is the way to go; but roll out is slow.
Yet to happen in Bangalore. When it happens, I bet many will pull the plug on DTH.

My demand with Tatasky is simple.
Me - "You guys have My99 plan at Rs. 100/- pm"
TS - "Yes sir; take this add a regional pack for Rs. 65/- and then add sports for Rs. X"
Me - "What about HD?"
TS - "That's Rs. 175/- pm"
Me - "The world is moving to 4K content and you guys are charging for HD!!"
TS - "But Sir, if you don't want HD, you get 300+ channels at very low price"
Me - "Hindi, Marathi, Gujarati, Oriya, Bengali, Kannada, Telugu, Tamil, Malayalam and million DD channels; which I don't watch!!"
TS - "Sir, you can add sports and English movies/entertainment/news to base pack"
Me - "Give me My99 sports (all sports channels) with HD access fee of Rs. 50/- pm; Rs 150/- pm for all HD sports"
TS - "No sir, we can't do this"
Me - "OK. Bye then; you lose a 10 year loyal customer"
TS - "But sir, you will miss out on English entertainment/movies"
Me - "Really? I have NetFlix/Prime; Your sister concern Hotstar is Rs. 999/- per year and SonyLiv is Rs. 499/- per year"
Me - "And movies!! You guys still play 'Snakes On A Plane' with the Trivago guy for ads; why should I pay for this?"
TS - "Sorry Sir; we will take this as feedback"

Cheers,
Raghu

I am perfectly satisfied with the quality of Hotstar ... yes its not exactly as good as tatasky but its Full HD, albeit more compressed ...... same goes with Sony LIV .... HOOQ is good as well only VOOT I will say compression shows it too prominent ...

Jio fiber is again DTH ..... Jio TV is just like any other android app so its not for small screen only ... it works on 4K TV as well ....albeit again on 1080p res ...

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back