Tatasky HD channels still appear washed out (2016, high SQ)

electronicsguy

Hello,
I just got my first DTH connection in Bangalore with Tata Sky HD. It's ok for the most part. However, the HD is definitely not HD. I understand that India still doesn't have any real "Full HD" ie. 1080p broadcast. However, even with the 1080i that Tata Sky seems to be providing, many HD channels simply appear pale/washed.

I have the new dish installed. The signal quality and signal strength bars are both above 80% always. (btw, could some one please explain the difference between the two). The BER is around NNxe-07 which I read is fairly good. There was a thread discussing this last year: TATA Sky SQ

I have a Sony 40" HDTV (KLV- series) bought this year itself. 1080p playback through the TV's USB is perfectly crisp.

Are people getting really crisp picture with Tata Sky?

What's your viewing distance? Could you post some pictures of the TV showing a star channel? Start Star sports select HD, star gold, etc are quite good on Airtel.

MaSh

Sent from my Redmi Note 3

Only few HD channels have good PQ. Channels like Colors, AXN, HBO, etc. Have poor video quality from Source.

Except for the usual butchering of Audio across almost all channels, PQ on Tatasky is usually best across all DTH after they upgraded their satellites/added new. Unfortunately most HD channels don't broadband high bitrate video from source. Colors HD is a classic example of heavily butchered Video and Audio from source.

And BTW - a good quality 1080i gives more fluid motion with identical PQ on a TV with good Picture Processor (deinterlacing quality).

Signal quality doesn't impact picture quality at all (Digital signals, May see corruption like blockiness and random freezing if very low signal quality).

Last edited:
I have sony 40 inch klv series tv with tatasky-HD. I am enjoying very nice picture quality with all HD channels. Recently only problem with sound quality. Previously they are broadcasted DD 5.1 audio. That time I enjoyed wonderful surround sound. But now they changed to DD+, which should give more sound quality but not!

How's the audio quality of M Tunes HD? On Airtel I have noticed it to have degraded.

How's the audio quality of M Tunes HD? On Airtel I have noticed it to have degraded.

Mtunes HD is a Pseudo HD channel. This claims to be HD channel which absolutely is not. The audio quality over HT system sounds tinny and nowhere of any quality that can be compared with anything. Thankfully I think you do not have to pay for this upscaled HD channel.

Mtunes HD is a Pseudo HD channel. This claims to be HD channel which absolutely is not. The audio quality over HT system sounds tinny and nowhere of any quality that can be compared with anything. Thankfully I think you do not have to pay for this upscaled HD channel.
Yes it used to be tinny and now it's worse. Yes thankfully I don't.

MaSh

Try MTV beats HD it looks like a proper HD channel. Mtunes is losing quality day by day

Sent from my SM-N920G using Tapatalk
Oh okay, I don't think this channel is present on Airtel. Will have to check.

MaSh

@MaSH ... distance is around 20meters. I don't know why that matters as long as the signal quality & BER is within acceptable or good range.

Some pics are here: Tata-sky images

As I said, the picture is not sharp enough. It may not be very obvious here since I took them using my phone. But essentially: some colors seem faded, lines are not sharp. Just not the same as seeing a 1080p or 720p movie through USB.

@MaSH ... distance is around 20meters. I don't know why that matters as long as the signal quality & BER is within acceptable or good range.

Some pics are here: Tata-sky images

As I said, the picture is not sharp enough. It may not be very obvious here since I took them using my phone. But essentially: some colors seem faded, lines are not sharp. Just not the same as seeing a 1080p or 720p movie through USB.
20meters or feet? Well in the images the reception looks quite good. I have not seen better either on tata Sky or my Airtel. Could you attach pics of what you are comparing to?

MaSh

20meters or feet? Well in the images the reception looks quite good. I have not seen better either on tata Sky or my Airtel. Could you attach pics of what you are comparing to?

MaSh

Well I did say 20m not feet. But again, I fail to see how that is relevant if I'm getting signal quality and BER within or exceeding limits. Am I missing something here?

Anyways, I've attached 2 more pics in that folder. 1 is from Star trek and one from Life of Pi. It may not be obvious, since I'm again using my phone to capture them. But the color gamut, outlines are way more sharp than the TV images. See the clear detail in Irrfan Khan's face. These are taken from 1080p video playing directly from USB.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back