TDL RTL 3 Problem

infected

First of all, apologies if this is in the wrong area of the forum.

I have a problem with a pair of TDL RTL 3's I've recently been given...

I have them hooked up to my Sony HiFi stereo (LBT HB500) which is nothing special, but it can pump out a decent sound through the factory speakers, however when i have it playing through the TDL's *at low volume* it makes the speakers sort of rattle (sounds similar to a blown speaker) but if i crank it up it smoothes out and the rattle totally disappears.

I tried googling, but tbh, I'm not really in my area of knowledge (never had anything other than standard off the shelf HiFi's and never had any problems with them)

From the bit of googled info I've seen I think it might be a case of the amp being underpowered, but that doesnt seem right to me as it smoothes out if I turn it up (and it can really make the speakers rock)

Any ideas or suggestions to sort this out?

Any further info needed just say and ill post it up asap.

Thank in advance.

edit to add: The Main drivers are wired with some 16 gauge philips copper and the tweeters are wired with some el-cheapo pound shop wire (have tried running without tweeters and the rattle is coming from the Drivers)

Last edited:
Hi Infected, my Guess..when you are lowering the volume the power is not enough for the woofers hence underpowered but when you crank it up the power output seems to be enough.

Do check out the specs of the RTL..see if the impedance does drop below 6 at any point..if so then the amp may no be the right choice..

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back