Technics 1210 MK2 - Erratic Speed Problem

studiord

Hi guys,

I had bought a Technics SL-1210 MK2 a year back and it was almost like new with everything working perfectly. A couple of days I was listening to an LP and suddenly the pitch slowed down and went back to normal. This kept happening for some time and I thought the LP was not recorded properly. Then I played another one and the problem came back. That's when I noticed that the platter was behaving erratically and my heart skipped a beat.

I started browsing through technics forums to identify the issue and most people suggested it was an IC problem and can be solved by replacing the IC201 which is available online. But just to be sure, I decided to test the TT once more and I noticed that the green light of the pitch slider was not on in spite of it being on the 'zero' position. So I moved the slider and brought it back to 'zero' and voila the green light lit back on. And now the speed issue was gone.

My question to fellow technics owners is whether the TT is about to get sick or I should stop worrying. Have any of guys had the same problem ever and what did you do?

RD

This is a common phenomenon with most technics TTs. I had the same issue when I got my SL3200, sometimes the platter would slow down or speed up, at times when I changed from 33 rpm to 45 rpm, the platter would not turn in the 45rpm selection, but if I moved the switch up and down a few times, the 45 rpm setting would start working. Went to forums and was told the same thing, this IC had to be changed. End of the day, I realised that it was a simple dust problem wherein some dust had got into my pitch control and 35/45rpm selector. Opened it up, used some WD40, thoroughly cleaned up all the switches and controls and have never had the issue since the last 6 years. Over the years, I've had a few other technics DD users coming to me with the same issue and we had the issue sorted using the same method in every single instance. Nevertheless these are electronic items at the end of the day and electronics can fail too, however take a look at the contact issues with the switches and slider, before replacing anything.

Thanks a lot for your reply. I also believe it might be a dust issue as the TT cover does not fit snugly and leaves a gap between it and the turntable. I am soon planning to change the audio interconnects so will do the cleaning when I open it up. When you say WD-40 is this what you mean? :
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Also, do you thing the spindle needs oiling too? Where exactly do you put the oil as I don't want to damage the magnetic coils. And do you have any recommendations for which cable to go for good sound (not too expensive) ?

RD

This is a common phenomenon with most technics TTs. I had the same issue when I got my SL3200, sometimes the platter would slow down or speed up, at times when I changed from 33 rpm to 45 rpm, the platter would not turn in the 45rpm selection, but if I moved the switch up and down a few times, the 45 rpm setting would start working. Went to forums and was told the same thing, this IC had to be changed. End of the day, I realised that it was a simple dust problem wherein some dust had got into my pitch control and 35/45rpm selector. Opened it up, used some WD40, thoroughly cleaned up all the switches and controls and have never had the issue since the last 6 years. Over the years, I've had a few other technics DD users coming to me with the same issue and we had the issue sorted using the same method in every single instance. Nevertheless these are electronic items at the end of the day and electronics can fail too, however take a look at the contact issues with the switches and slider, before replacing anything.

Thats the one Studiord. WD-40 works very effectively. And yes, when you change the interconnects, you can really do a lot of cleaning both sides of the TT.

The spindle does need oiling from time to time. Thats the only thing that needs oil on the 1210 otherwise its a workhorse.

I went for custom made quality interconnects by Mr. Murthy which in my opinion are excellent.

Heres a youtube video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sjhXXDp1-JQ

Last edited:
not oiling the spindle assembly will result in rumble but make sure you use the right lubricant. Technics has a prescribed lubricant for the purpose.

On the WD40 front, here's a note on wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

WD40 can be bought at any hardware, paint or tools store. It usually comes in aerosol spray cans. Costs about Rs.90/-

I would not recommend WD 40 for lubrication.It can creat major problems in future.WD stands for Water Displacement and should be used for specific purpose.

Regards,
Sachin

I would not recommend WD 40 for lubrication.It can creat major problems in future.WD stands for Water Displacement and should be used for specific purpose.

Regards,
Sachin

+1, try to avoid WD-40. for cleaning isolated mechanical parts away from electronics - I use IPA damped cloth or IPA with brush. Both cases away from circuits. Dry and lubricate, proceed to putting back to its place.

+1, try to avoid WD-40. for cleaning isolated mechanical parts away from electronics - I use IPA damped cloth or IPA with brush. Both cases away from circuits. Dry and lubricate, proceed to putting back to its place.

Thanks for your inputs ! I have an aerosol spray of Tetrafloroethane which is supposed to be moisture free. Would that be ok to use? Or should i just use a portable vacuum cleaner? I do not think the parts would be too dusty.

RD

Please dont use WD40 as a lubricant, its not meant for the purpose. For the spindle and bearing assembly, ideally only authorized Technics lubricant should be used.

You can also use zippo lighter fluid. The imported one is good. But the Ines available in local stores do the job well too. Brian Kearns has written about SME arm restoration in "the analog department" website and he used this. I followed his instructions and the arm turned out brand new in the end.

Guys,

Each of your comments is valuable. Can someone also point me to a detailed tutorial on how to open up the TT and change the audio interconnects ? I have already watched the youtube video for the same but do not want to rely on that one alone. Preferably a written tutorial with pictures will be more helpful.

RD

Guys,

Each of your comments is valuable. Can someone also point me to a detailed tutorial on how to open up the TT and change the audio interconnects ? I have already watched the youtube video for the same but do not want to rely on that one alone. Preferably a written tutorial with pictures will be more helpful.

RD

See here. Omishra has shown detailed pictures and steps.

Here you go mate. Detailed written steps with pictures for changing of RCA interconnects.

http://www.crossfadr.com/2011/11/16/replacing-the-rca-cables-on-a-technics-sl1200-turntable/

http://blog.thinkmassive.org/2009/07/technics-1200-turntable-cable.html

Opening is very simple. Just be careful when flipping the TT. Preferably use the dust cover when flipping. Also, you need to be careful when soldering the new interconnects as the tone arm wires are very close and a pain to resolder them.

What you need - Soldering iron like 20watts, Good quality lead, flux and some tie ups. If the new interconnects are thick, you will find it difficult to refix the clip.

Cheers...

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back