Technics mk4

Sushant Sharma

Hello there
wanted to ask the more experienced guys about the technics turntable and particularly the mk4. How good is it? Does it compare to the Linns? Whats a good price to pay for one in good condition? Coming from inexperienced territory and owner of a NAD C556 based on the Rega 1.
your help and comments will be much appreciated..thanks in advance

Still I didn't had a chance to listen a Linn TT. But I strongly believe that the Linn must be better than Technics 1200. The Linn is a suspended type deck and required some fine adjustment and loves better placement for fine sounding. On the other hand Technics is a rigid plug and play type, solid & punchy sound. I am happy with my Technics 1200MK3 in all aspects but still a Linn is my dream. So the choice is yours. Now days a good condition Technics 1200 with essential accessories like Rubber mat, Headshell and Original dust cover goes up to 50-60K.

If you mean Technics SL1200/10 Mark IV versus the Linn Sondek, my vote goes for a well set up Sondek. It's simply more refined, more dynamic and PRATty, more engaging, but be ready for a learning curve to set it up correctly, especially suspension tuning.

For a technically challenged guy like me, my technics 1200 MK5 is a blessing. I wouldn’t go close to a fancy expensive TT, suspended, belt driven etc etc. simply because I’d be spending more time playing around with a scale and screwdriver rather than listening to music.

I’m glad I have friends like Mr. jls001 living close by to me. He’s been most helpful whenever I’ve needed him, whether it’s a query or him actually coming over to my place to help with something.

Hello there
wanted to ask the more experienced guys about the technics turntable and particularly the mk4. How good is it? Does it compare to the Linns? Whats a good price to pay for one in good condition? Coming from inexperienced territory and owner of a NAD C556 based on the Rega 1.
your help and comments will be much appreciated..thanks in advance

If you ask me, honestly its hard to compare the Technics SL1200 to a LP12. Again, this is my personal opinion but I always felt the LP12 is great for easy listening, especially soft instrumental and western classical music. I found the sound signature of the LP12 a little too soft and smooth for my liking. On the other hand, the SL1200 with its stock tone arm kind of takes a mid-path, and plays almost everything thrown at it. But like most Technics decks, they have an extremely listenable sound signature, but not outwardly outstanding. Yes, I am not referring to the latest re-released version and ones with mods, but the MK2 stock version. However they are rock solid, almost plug and play and yes, command great respect. If you are not into getting your hands dirty with turntable tech, then its a great fit. If your favourite genres comprise music with tempo and beats, you've got to listen to a turntable with high torque. It is here that the idlers are in a league of their own. The only Technics turntable that I found to play in this league is the SP10 MK2. The best and affordable combo in my opinion is a Garrard 401 with SME 3009 Series II Improved with fixed headshell, and a good cart.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back