Technics SA-DX940 amp first 3hr review..

accord

I got a change to get Technics SA-DX940 amp and took it home yesterday night. Connected it to BDP and Dali z5 speakers. Burned my All FLAC & few MP3 music files on a DVD (as an experiment as my FLAC files were not sounding good via USB), and just played 1st song Jya Jaley (Dil Sey)......... and for next 3hrs i was just smiling on my couch and enjoyed almost all songs with out skipping. Wooow what an experiment was that. That amp changed the character of Dalis FS and pioneer bdp. Even 320kbps MP3s are sounding very good. Each and every layer of vocals, instruments, background music was creating live & lovely effect around. :clapping::clapping:

Tonight is going to be a Sufi night :yahoo::eek:hyeah:

Going by your signature were you driving the Zensors with the Sherwood AVR or the Norge 1000 previously?
The DX940 is a an AV receiver it seems, I believe better sound can be coaxed out of the Zensors with a good stereo amplifier.

Going by your signature were you driving the Zensors with the Sherwood AVR or the Norge 1000 previously?
The DX940 is a an AV receiver it seems, I believe better sound can be coaxed out of the Zensors with a good stereo amplifier.

Yes dear previously i was using Norge for stereo and sherwood for 5.1 movies.

DX940 is AV control stereo receiver (not digital one) and connected with Z5 for stereo listening and difference is very much audible as far as i understand music. DX940 can also be use for 5.1 setup but i am satisfied with Sherwood till now and using Technics for music listening only.

Wow, I am surprised that an AV receiver is surpassing the Norge in stereo performance!
It must really be good then, wish I could hear it.

Wow, I am surprised that an AV receiver is surpassing the Norge in stereo performance!
It must really be good then, wish I could hear it.

Norge is my fev first stereo amp being very simple & good in SQ that i did't got from other amps with much higher price tags.
And it will be really not fair if i compare norge with Technics amp. But Technics really forced me to listen my all music collection again. :licklips:

That has been one of my test tracks of late when testing multiple DACs.

Lata is truly exceptional.

Haven't heard any Technics though you've piqued my interest.

I agree with you.. that song is one of my fev to test any stereo system. I also played Palan Harey (Lagaan), Piya Basanti, Surili (veer), Kehna hi kya (bombay), khamoshi songs which i listened several times earlier on different setups. But technics amp really surprised me with clarity and transparency of music and taking out hidden details of sound track which i never noticed on other systems. :)

I also haven't heard about this but getting it was just a lottery kind of as one of my known person shifted Delhi form US with his fortune of all AV/ stereo hifi gears and i grab this from him without having any second thought :beer: and i was looking for it from long time and its availability in India is just by luck.

Update: Last night i changed my old BDP to Technics connecting cables to CNCT rca cable. Surprisingly these are sounding more clear.
Now i m thinking to add a budget DAC in line and request your suggestions for the same.

Congrats for the Find. Technics one of the underrated brand,Its never let you down on the decent price and equal to the European brands.

Adding a decent DAC would give you some improvement in SQ in detailing ,Since you play the files via BDP.

Thanks Audio_freek,

Request FMs to please suggest a dedicated DAC, affordable (<10K) and can produce a difference from my existing Pioneer BDp's internal DAC.

Thanks Audio_freek,

Request FMs to please suggest a dedicated DAC, affordable (<10K) and can produce a difference from my existing Pioneer BDp's internal DAC.

i've used below DACs and you would have to audition [or atleast read-up on them] before buying [any DAC]. i'm sure there are many other options available. also what are you planning use it with? PC Audio or Digital Out from BDP or TV?

HifimeDIY USB DACs- Sabre 9023 chip based : it was slightly better than my laptop's headphone out. HifimeDIY have several other DACs and their Asynchronous DACs are very famous [one with Sabre 9018 DAC chip] - around 30-40 USD . 9018 one cost around 100 USD

MUSE DAC - PCM2704 based - definitely better than above - around 30 USD . has optical, USB inputs

SMSL M8 - Sabre 9018 DAC Chip based based . so far the best in my chain but slightly above your budget at around 180 + USD . this has Optical, USB and Co-ax inputs

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back