Technics SL-2000 & Shure M44-7 vs M55E

shardul

First time here

Just wanted to know about Technics SL-2000. Is it worth buying?
i have been using M44-7 cart and wanted to try out M55E. Nothing can beat M44-7, I know but just wanted to try M55E too. Any major difference between the two?

Last edited:
Hi Shardul,
The Shure M 55 E is a very good cartridge. I used it for many years with my Garrard Zero 100 TT before moving on to the Shure V 15 Type III Cartridge. I think I still may have the M 55 lying around somewhere, although the TT is presently out of commission. The M 44 -7 is a very sturdy cartridge which I used with a solid old Japanese " Neat " TT. It played all the old Indian vinyl pressings without skipping a beat - which the M 55 - Garrard combo sometimes failed to do.Where do you get the stylus for these old cartridges ? Cheers,
Sanjay

hi sanjay,

yeah M44-7 is a pretty solid cart indeed. i got stylus from dealers in chor bazaar.

shardul

but i think ebay is the best place to buy replacement stylus for these carts. just bought 3 sets of headshell wires from ebay. badly needed a change.

I own the M44-7 DJ version and have heard the old M44 version. If you ask any audiophile the question, he would almost by default say that the old M44 version was better. In my opinion the DJ version sounds more listenable with its louder and bassier sound. The original M44 version is a bit smooth, soft but is good in its own way. However I would prefer the current M44-7 DJ version which is commonly available today. This cart is so easy to set up and use, its sounds great and will play with virtually any phonostage on the planet. Like FM Sanjay Khanna said, the M55E is also a very good cart. I recently accquired one and when I tried it out, it sounded really smooth and detailed (with a Jico stylus). It was not as loud as the M44-7 but I thought it sounded more detailed (probably as it was softer). I have decided to retain it in my collection. I also tried out the M75-6 which I also accquired recently and found it to be better than the M55E as it sounded rich but detailed. I was very familiar with its sound as I grew up listening to it and may have been a bit biased. But given the choice for simple but elegant and robust LP listening, great value for money and un-matched matching and tracking ability, I would go for the current M44-7.

According to Shure, the new M44-7 is revived 'exactly' as the older version. That is prominently displayed in the description of the cart. So, if we go by what says Shure, then there must not be any difference in the older & newer versions of M44-7

Hi Shardul,
The Shure M 55 E is a very good cartridge. I used it for many years with my Garrard Zero 100 TT before moving on to the Shure V 15 Type III Cartridge. I think I still may have the M 55 lying around somewhere, although the TT is presently out of commission. The M 44 -7 is a very sturdy cartridge which I used with a solid old Japanese " Neat " TT. It played all the old Indian vinyl pressings without skipping a beat - which the M 55 - Garrard combo sometimes failed to do.Where do you get the stylus for these old cartridges ? Cheers,
Sanjay

When it comes to styli for old Shure carts, there's only 1 place to go - Jico. Try out the Jico website JICO stylus | Online Shopping for Japanese Phonograph Needles

Hello All,

I thought to try out JICO N 55e stylus with Shure M 44-7 body. Read somewhere that both are compatible.

Shure M44-7 with elliptical stylus ?? | Audiokarma Home Audio Stereo Discussion Forums

Now the question: There are three types of N55e stylus available in JICO website. N55e, N55e improved and N55e SAS. I would like to try with N55e first and then gradually upgrading to N 55e SAS in the future.

JICO stylus | Online Shopping for Japanese Phonograph Needles

Appreciate your comments. I listen to bollywood oldies and like big bassy sound. Understand that N55e would be of musch lower tracking force.

Thanks in advance,
Sourav

the N55e improved is new ( they also have n44e & n44e improved) they have not described what exactly is new and improved, and their user reviews have yet to come up anywhere.

the base jico N55e is available with evg branding for <20 USD

I am using JICO n55e, in fact I used it for short period - may be 10-20 records last year. It sounds little thin and sharp though not that bass. But balanced, may be my capacitance loading was inaccurate. Because cable was different - blue jean 1 meter each channel. In same place Goldring MM cart sounded full bodied and balanced bass though not a boom boom kind of thing.

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. This will be helpful in deciding whether I would stick to OEM N 44-7 :).

Also Omishara, which Goldring MM cartridge you are referring to and the price.

Thanks,
Sourav

Thank you all for your valuable inputs. This will be helpful in deciding whether I would stick to OEM N 44-7 :).

Also Omishara, which Goldring MM cartridge you are referring to and the price.

Thanks,
Sourav
It was OEM with Lenco Goldring L78 TT.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back